The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bowling ball from suitcase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalDuda
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of MagicalDuda
It's a nice effect, and the magic happens so fast as you walk on stage, and produce a bowling ball... but what kind of patter can you use with this effect? maybe there is something better to produce? who carries a bowlingball around with them?

I got this effect as a gift for Christmas, and haven't used it yet... trying to think of different uses, and patter to use... I wish there was a good way to bring it out in the middle of a routine, and not have it as an opener.

what are you guys thoughts on this trick? anyone use it? what type of patter do you use?

Cory
AKA
The Magical Duda
>>Magical Duda<<
www.magicalduda.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3750 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've seen guys use it as an opener. They come onstage, lay the briefcase down, open it and drop the bowling ball onto the stage. That's it. I've seen one fellow who raised the bowling ball and vanished it...but I don't remember who it was. It's a great impression maker thought...often in more ways than one.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MagicalDuda
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of MagicalDuda
It is just so quick! Less than one minute and the magic happens. No beginning middle or end to the effect. I guess though it shows your about to put on a real magic show with great Illusions. I do mainly kid parties and open with a dove production. but when I get booked for larger family audiences, am thinking about starting off with this effect. But how? When they've seen me come in and set up my show. It's more for an introductory. Curtains open.

Hmmmm
>>Magical Duda<<
www.magicalduda.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
402 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
When I open the case, I say to my audience that I was in a hurry and told my wife to put my magic in the case for this evenings show. I do not know why she threw in my bowling ball. I take it out and then proceed to do part of my act from the other things in the case such as silks, ropes and other small items that will fit in the case. Along with the bowling ball, I have a calapsible table inside the case that I use with the rope and silk tricks.
MagicalDuda
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of MagicalDuda
Haha I like that.
>>Magical Duda<<
www.magicalduda.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2559 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Check out this related thread here

It refers to both the briefcase and other bowling ball productions addressing and talking about the the issues you mention with some suggestions for presentatoion offered too.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Steve Travis
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Steve Travis
Truthfully it just kills as an opener. All I hear is HOW? Let's don't over think this. Have fun with this and do the rest of your performance and let it speak for itself. Lay people JUST love this. We spend months and sometimes years working on sleights and routines but at the end of the day sometimes they just like the HOW did you do that stuff that's quick, simple, and easy to do stuff. Sorry but it's true. We are entertainers and this quick, easy, and simple effect entertains doesn't it?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
MagicalDuda
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of MagicalDuda
Haha true! Thanks Steve Smile

Sealegs thanks for the link for the thread I've been looking for!
>>Magical Duda<<
www.magicalduda.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2559 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Steve Travis wrote:
Quote:
Truthfully it just kills as an opener. All I hear is HOW? Let's don't over think this. Have fun with this and do the rest of your performance and let it speak for itself. Lay people JUST love this. We spend months and sometimes years working on sleights and routines but at the end of the day sometimes they just like the HOW did you do that stuff that's quick, simple, and easy to do stuff. Sorry but it's true. We are entertainers and this quick, easy, and simple effect entertains doesn't it?

Steve, you might want to check out the link in post by davidpaul$ 's that immediately follows yours.

It shows one of my favourite performers (The Amazing Jonathan) getting zero response from this effect as an opener. This is the response that this effect usually garners and is at odds with your assersion that it 'kills'.

This doesn't mean it's a bad effect... it's a great effect.... but it's one that needs a thoughtful application to get the response from it we all feel it ought to and should be getting.

The link in my post above is to a thread here on the Café that goes into the possible reasons why this effect doesn't generate the respose we expect it to and has some solutions to this issue.
Neal Austin

Steve Travis
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Steve Travis
I can only comment on what it has done for me. Can there be other ways to make this better for not only me and others, I'm sure and would be open to any. I have watched Mike Caveney perform at the Castle many times and he does this act where he shoots an arrow after cards are flung into the air and the arrow he shoots sticks to the chosen card. I've seen the audience do nothing with no response at all and then I've seen him do it again for another show and people are amazed, entertained, and clap. Now, when he was getting his haircut at Dean's Shoppe in Glendale Ca. one day he mentioned this to Dean and they talked a little about it and just said that happens that way sometimes but that his trick was a good one. I commented that I had seen the reaction and lack of reaction that he was talking about because I had seen a few of his shows and concluded the same as he did.(Not that I have any business giving my opinion to 2 pros).

All and All I think you guys are right, that it could always use that something extra I guess but I will continue to feel the way I do because it does KILL for me. I will read the thread you directed me to and if there is something there I feel can give it that EXTRA, I will certainly take that into consideration for future performances. I do feel my post was accurate for me and I'm sorry if that didn't sit well with whomever "WE ALL" are. I don't change how I feel about anything just because someone doesn't agree with me but I am always looking for better ways to improve all areas of my magic.

Thanks

P.S. After watching the youtube video you so kindly provided the link to of the Amazing Jonathan, with all due respect to him because he is a GREAT performing who deserves nothing more than praise for his magic, I can see why he got no response. That was awful. I'm sorry but that was awful. I think people were like........OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! I didn't know that's all he did with that effect. Pull a bowling ball out and just drop it and say, figure that out. With all due respect to him and I mean this.....he deserved the NO RESPONSE he got and if any of us perform the effect that way, we deserve a ZERO RESPONSE too.
magicreviews
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicreviews
How about this ... you walk out with the briefcase and set it down but do not produce the bowling ball yet. You step in front of the table and remove your jacket and produce a bowling pin from the jacket and place it down stage left. Then you return to your briefcase, produce the bowling ball, and throw it at the pin. Strike!
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
Quick idea here just before to select a random spectator. You produce the ball from your briefcase. Let fall the ball on the floor to proove that it is real. Then make the ball ''involuntary'' roll behind something. Switch the ball for a balloon the same color and then say that you gonna select someone by throwing the bowling ball in the audience. Then you throw the balloon. I've done that and it works really well.

Good luck

Johnny
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2559 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Magicreviews, that's a potentially nice idea for a set up for the bowling ball production. I think I might be tempted to take out a minature (but still big enogh to be seen) bowling pin from the briefcase first, (or even ten minature pins if possible) close it, and set the pin(s) down... then remove the bowling ball and bowl it at the pins.

The small pins will help point out (and set up) the big ball production and its size difference gives the knocking down of the pins a comedic moment. You'd need something like this if you're going to continue the routine after the ball production otherwise, I believe the routine risks being taken on from climax to end with a bit of a whimper.

As another alternative you could 1st remove a proportionatly sized small ball from the case. With this you bowl and miss all the pins... then you go for your 2nd ball and remove the full sized bowling ball. Now you bowl a 'spare' and knock the pins flying. That way the whole thing fits into a complete 'story' and makes the entire routine a complete self contined piece.

Steve Travis, I wasn't meaning to suggest your opinion was wrong. Your opinion is yours and as valid as anyone elses and sits very comfortably with me. I was merely trying to stress the point that because this effect has a lot going for it; ...it's direct, surprising, puzzling, quick, visual,etc... it gets assigned a response quotiant that it rarely commands.

I'm pleased that you don't have this problem with it but everyone that I have seen perform this has (and over 25 years in the business that's quite a lot of performers) even though sometimes they seem oblivious to it's lack of response.

I believe there are good reasons for this lack of response. By way of contrast look at a very similar effect; Kevin James' Bowling Ball from drawing pad'. This seems to as good as always get the strong response the bowling ball from briefcase ought to almost irrespective of the ability of the performer.

This is why, of course, so many performers have included it in their program... but the interesting thing is why it works so efectively in a way that the bowling ball from briefcase nearly always doesn't.

But if you've got a winner on your hands though I'd be the first to say well done and reccommend sticking with what works best for you. Smile
Neal Austin

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 16:24, Steve Travis wrote:

P.S. After watching the youtube video you so kindly provided the link to of the Amazing Jonathan, with all due respect to him because he is a GREAT performing who deserves nothing more than praise for his magic, I can see why he got no response. That was awful. I'm sorry but that was awful. I think people were like........OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! I didn't know that's all he did with that effect. Pull a bowling ball out and just drop it and say, figure that out. With all due respect to him and I mean this.....he deserved the NO RESPONSE he got and if any of us perform the effect that way, we deserve a ZERO RESPONSE too.

But isn't he kind of sticking to your premiss of just doing it without making it over-complicated or adding another slant to it?

I think the audience in that clip where generally a bit unresponsive anyhow. I also think "figure that out" is an OK enough line for his style.

I still think Neal's presentation in the other thread is by far the best idea for this effect that I have heard.
MagicalDuda
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of MagicalDuda
Hmm.. I sometimes open my show with cups and balls...

Thought of a funny thing to do... at least I think it might bring in laughs?

come on stage with briefcase, open it up, and take out the cups and balls, (keep case open) while bringing attention to t=my other table, while I do this routine (making 3 juggling balls appear in the end) then say "I'm working on fitting 3 bowling balls under those cups for the finally" (as I bring out the bowling ball from the suitcase)

Hmmm... I may try it this weekend at my show I have booked for a family audience of 100 people!

We'll see if the setting will let me.
>>Magical Duda<<
www.magicalduda.com
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 17:21, MagicalDuda wrote:
It's a nice effect, and the magic happens so fast as you walk on stage, and produce a bowling ball... but what kind of patter can you use with this effect?
Cory
AKA
The Magical Duda

I say "I wonder if there's a bowling ball in this suitcase"

Then I reveal the bowling bowl

Then I say "Crikey, there is. Who'd have thought it?"

Feel free to use my lines if you wish. I like to help fellow magicians.

Thanks

Andi
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
I used it once for a Halloween show and produced a pumpkin.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Thanks for the many good ideas.
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Of the few times I have seen this effect during a live performance I have noticed that there is no contrast between the bowling ball and the briefcase....i.e. they are both black. Black on black doesn't do much for the eye. A contrast of color might enhance the shock value. There are various colors of bowling balls, but much more in brief cases. "Bowling ball from drawing pad" illustrates this point. The black ball is produced from a white pad. Perhaps that is the reason for the difference in reaction. The color of the backdrop or background could also stifle a reaction...i.e. a dark background behind the dark bowling ball. I do vote for the idea of taking some small objects from the briefcase first, on the pretext of hunting for your first trick, pulling out the bowling ball without looking at it, dropping it on the floor and continuing searching through the briefcase until you find the desired object and continuing with the show without acknowledging the ball.
Success to all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bowling ball from suitcase (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL