The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Live Entertainment Out of Fashion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Those are some pretty loaded statements. Take everything the media says with a grain of salt. Notice they didn't quote Laurence Shatkin directly. They summed it up and used language that make it sound like people don't like live entertainment ("out of fashion"). They made his research sound like entertainers are out of work BECAUSE of technology, which is not entirely true. A lot of entertainers are out of work because the economy is hurting, not necessarily because technology killed their jobs. Watching David Blaine on TV may be fun, but I think anyone would agree that seeing him in person would be much better.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think Dave is right. The proof is in the pudding. As the economy picks up so will our business. If it doesn't I guess we are out of fashion.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. My business has increased every year during that time frame. Last time I checked, I was still considered "live entertainment".

Check the forum and you will see lots of posts discussing how bad the economy is and how shows are down. I'm sorry, fewer dollars for entertainment may mean the shows won't fall in your lap, but people still want and hire live entertainment. If you aren't doing shows, its time to stop blaming the economy and start looking at why. There is plenty of work available. Show Forbes they are wrong.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9861 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, my business is still strong and growing. You must simply just take control and not sit and wait for the phone to ring. That's not how it's done these days.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3866 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I am working more than I was last year...and last year more than the year before that.

But I am working HARDER at getting shows and frankly appreciating them more when they come around.

There was a period here in Alberta (where oil is king) when the money was coming in by the bucketload all over. Now it's settled down to a downgraded roar. But there's still a LOT of work out there. You have to put on your walking shoes to find it though.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on a truck in Fort MacMurray. It said "Oh Lord: please send another oil boom! I promise not to p*ss it all away this time."

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 09:45, tacrowl wrote:
If you aren't doing shows, its time to stop blaming the economy and start looking at why. There is plenty of work available.

Exactly!

And baby boomers are starting to retire, looking for more entertainment options. I don't believe for a minute that live entertainment is going away.

-Z
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steve
Try to come up with better story's.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Hey--quit shooting the messenger; I didn't write it!
- Albert Camus
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steve
Just between you and me Forbes magazine is more in danger of extinction than live entertainment.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Lololololol AL you are right on the nose with that comment.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 09:36, Al Angello wrote:
Steve
Just between you and me Forbes magazine is more in danger of extinction than live entertainment.

I wouldn't know: I don't read Forbes. I just ran across this in the web.
- Albert Camus
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The media often tries to direct trends, disguised as a prediction. I pick my news sources carefully, because the popular sources are drivel. Journalism is often persecuted - look at WikiLeaks.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 16:59, Alan Munro wrote:
The media often tries to direct trends, disguised as a prediction. I pick my news sources carefully, because the popular sources are drivel. Journalism is often persecuted - look at WikiLeaks.

That's because people would rather be lied to and think everything is okay than seek out the truth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Live Entertainment Out of Fashion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL