The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter to build drama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I was up pretty late last night. My wife and son were both asleep, and I was doing what I often do, practicing a new routine, and thinking about how to make my magic better.

The TV was on, and I saw that the X Files episode, "The Great Maleeni" was going to be on. I set up the VCR, and sat down to enjoy the episode.
Those of you who have seen it, know that Ricky Jay is one of the stars of this particular one.

It starts off with Ricky performing on the pier in Santa Monica, California. He performs a simple Cups and Balls routine, among some other things.
After watching the whole episode, the one thing that rung truest for me was this. I have rarely if ever, seen anyone build drama and anticipation, as well as Mr. Jay.

His patter and presence are masterful. Many of us use patter to misdirect, or to justify, or to narate.

Unfortunately, Patter and presence are the least practiced aspects of magic IMHO. There were no moves performed on that episode, that could not be handled by a moderate worker. Despite this, the magical moments, the tension and release, and the emotional attachments were huge.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about the paramount important subject of patter and presence to make each moment special. I hope many will post. Thanks.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. The topic is too broad. It's like asking for comments on card tricks. What is it about patter that you want to discuss?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
It's quite usual to think of an effect in terms of method and presentation, but I've found that in good magic, the presentation is as much a part of "the method" of the piece as the moves are. I think what Eric's trying to hone in on is that layer that takes it all to the next level:

Theater.

L-
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I know you have heard it a thousand times. Become an actor playing the part of a magician.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
What served me well is using patter that people can relate to emotionally. Sounds simple but let me give an example.

So often you hear talking about "this coin that my grandfather gave me" or "I met a street gambler once who..." While trying to involve spectators in a storyline, I think a premise about a granddad or a streetgambler leave people unmoved for the most.
I use them as well, but in my presentations Granddad, the Streetgambler and all the other cliche's are "people" who are part of the greater frame of presentation that I use, namely the memories of my own childhood and the many questions that were left open som many years ago. This theme is what moves me and therefor I give it great importance. And so, hopefully, it becomes important to the spectators.

Eugene and Jeff learned me some time ago: Make them CARE. If you succeed in this, it does not matter if your patter is story-based, fairytale or even props-and-hands. If you succeed to make them care they might even fill in their own storylines on a silent presentation. So for me creating the right ambiance with words, gestures, looks and interaction is my emotional hook. I still learn a lot in finetuning these aspects and it is wonderful.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Absolutely right, Lance.

Great response, Dan. It's a very difficult task. Even the most beautiful effect can be a bit mundane without some kind of emotional hook.

Among the best I've seen at accomplishing this, is David Regal. Ever see his cups and balls? He gives the story personal meaning, and gives the entire routine purpose. As his climax, the story comes full circle. I really believe that this is a routine that will impact people who see it. More than just a great trick, but a memory to be shared.

Ricky Jay (in x files) used historical reference, and hype within the routine, to build each moment. He would hype an individual move, by sharing its history, commenting on it's impossibility, and telling of the very few who would ever try to perform it, etc... The drama was built, and the tension was there before the move took place. The release was set up for the spectator, before the move even took place. It's like a guaranteed reaction.

What art, really.

You really have to understand something about theater and human psyche, to have this kind of control of timing, routining,misdirection, etc...

As Lance pointed out, it could be exactly the answer to the question, How do I get to that next level?.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Personally Eric, I'm getting into the next level by incorporating my own life interests into my magic.

To give you some direction, why not base some of your presentations on your family, magic, music or life? Since that is what YOU care about it should be easier to let your audience relate to than the usual corny themes used in magic. Just a thought.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Dan,
Right on, brother. I think that the usual corny themes play a huge part in what people may find corny about magic. Not only are we not helping ourselves, but quite the opposite. Spectators need to be able to relate. They need to take the journey with you. Thanks, Dan.

BTW, I've sent you a couple of e-mails, am I going to see you in Europe? I'll be there next week. PM or e-mail me.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter to build drama (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL