The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Choice of music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Whistle while you do it.

THAT would be impressive. Smile

(And yes, I know how it's done...)

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best songs for the Floating Rose would be "The Stripper" or "Entry of the Gladiators." Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Barry Daugherty
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
133 Posts

Profile of Barry Daugherty
Quote:
On 2011-02-07 07:34, Dr. JK wrote:
Not sure what your style is, but Emile Pandolfi has some wonderful piano arrangements of many classic broadway/movie pieces. Check him out on either amazon.com or iTunes.

I went to his website and launched the player he has there to sample his music and I was very impressed! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out some more of his music now.

Thanks again,
Barry
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No.1 is the most achingly beautiful piece of music I have ever heard. It is deeply affecting. YouTube has a rendering that's of high enough quality for you to hear what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atejQh9cXWI&feature=related

If you can find a CD quality recording of it with full orchestra and no background hiss license the rights to that version. If your execution of the effect is perfect, you will create an experience that will enthrall your audience and which many of them will never forget.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I've always liked Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre. Quite magical music.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Didn't David Copperfield used the Love theme from the movie soundtrack "Ice Castles" in his 3rd TV special 'Levitating a Ferrari ? I think it was the music for his scene with the milk in lightbulb effect while he's having a quarrel with his girl friend...I think it was Mary Crosby playing the part of the girl friend.

I think David Copperfield called this magic sequence "The Couple".

Oliver.
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Most classical music is royalty free.
Success to all.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I am not sure I agree with Fábio – kiss from a rose by seal is a great song and on topic Smile

Off topic a bit but, the other day I was listening to music on random mode , I look at my TV and see title The five card trick - got me confused for a second , its by Acoustic Alchemy . Not the best song nor band but cool title for a 5 card trick !:)

Russell – I am a big Jean Michel Jarre fan , ANY of his tracks would be a good background music
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 02:33, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Whistle while you do it.

THAT would be impressive. Smile

(And yes, I know how it's done...)

Smile

lol Parker,

That's a great idea. I think we should try this out and I'm more sure that it'll still work. Stupid as I am I've tried to whistle to find out ...

Oliver.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Dimazales,

I think the point is not of being a great song for this effect. Fabio just told him not to use those songs because a lot of other magicians present this effect to those two songs already. So he invites him to find something original and new, that hasn't been used yet.

Here's another idea that just came to my mind: What about the piano piece "The Entertainer" from Scott Joplin. It might be royalty free, is a little bit upbeating in the rythme (I don't know if you use this word), so for the jumping paper ball sequence it's perfect, BUT not very romantic, neither modern.

I think I will try to use this idea for my own.

Oliver.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Oliver, I do understand the point. I just think if some music fits, originality might not be as important. Specially when it comes to music , if it feels right its probably the way to go. If others are using it , it simply means it probably fits. For example , if I got a dime for every time I heard “In the Hall of the Mountain King” in a movie commercial I would be a rich man…..

Speaking of that tune – use THAT trixy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hall......ain_King
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Dimazales,

So if I understand right, you would use music from other magic act for the same effects they present, rather then search on your own to find something that fits your personality, stage personna, character, costume, stage set and not only the action ?

You're right that those two songs fit the effect, but for instance I can't use either of those two songs in my show, since they don't fit my costume, stage personna and global play on stage. It's too modern for me.

Exemple : You can't be dressed in a costume of the 19 century for a magic act using doves and roses and use modern music for this same act. It doesn't fit. That's what all this is about.

Magic is about you and not just about the effects.

Just my 2 magical cents.

Oliver.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Oliver I think I mostly agree with you. Here is my take - when it comes to music, I wouldn't need to go and see what someone else is doing , I have a good music sense. If it turned out I chose something everyone else was already using - so be it. I agree it should fit your style - that will be taken care of if you chose a music YOU would like. Weather if mix modern music with 19 century costume is also style/taste thing- there have been Shakespeare plays that included modern music (Not sure how I feel about it )
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
172 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
I say you cant beat Mike Oldfeild.
Don't go from a segment on Tubular Bells or Tubular Bells 2003 (anniversary recording of the original) as the music is too familiar and starts conjuring images of slit pea soup.
I would use a segment of the song Clear Light (TBII) if I was looking for something ethereally romantic.
Of course the sound of romance can be rather subjective.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
belzila
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of belzila
I searching the CD "Music Of Lance Burton" from Nick Thorpe. Where can I buy this CD?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have downloaded royalty free stuff from Opus One Productions...and another producer who is a member of this forum. I am using both in a show next week. The price is reasonable, and you don't have to worry about paying royalties.

Plus the music was written specifically with magic performance in mind.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
[quote]On 2011-03-15 22:10, worldofwondermagic wrote:
I have downloaded royalty free stuff from Opus One Productions...and another producer who is a member of this forum.

Sorry...had a brain fart momentarily. The other producer is MagiTracks.

I also know that the Steads produce music for magicians that is royalty free...and they are members here as well.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
So heres a question... is the real issue here copying someones routine? Using their music, costumes, coreography/patter, while doing the same trick? Or is it just using a piece of music?

I am in no favor of copying, its wrong!

But in all honesty... if a piece of music works for a trick, and you don't copy someones routine, is it really that big a deal? If dancers couldn't do that theyd be in trouble. And if this is the case shouldn't ALL cover songs from other bands be banned?

Hmmmmm... touchy topic
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2011-03-16 16:11, WagsterMagic wrote:
But in all honesty... if a piece of music works for a trick, and you don't copy someones routine, is it really that big a deal? If dancers couldn't do that theyd be in trouble. And if this is the case shouldn't ALL cover songs from other bands be banned?

Well, from my POV selecting a piece of music to use with a specific routine is a creative choice and, as such, a part of that routine.

Finding the right piece of music for a routine can sometimes take a lot of research and effort. And I can tell you from first-hand experience that negotiating the requisite licenses for an established composition can sometimes require getting the copyright owner(s) comfortable with the idea of their "baby" being used in connection with a magic trick. It would burn my chaps if, after doing all that, another magician who saw the routine started using the same piece of music for his version of the same effect. Especially one particular routine... Smile
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
Quote:
On 2011-03-16 16:11, WagsterMagic wrote:
So heres a question... is the real issue here copying someones routine? Using their music, costumes, coreography/patter, while doing the same trick? Or is it just using a piece of music?

I am in no favor of copying, its wrong!

Hmmmmm... touchy topic

I´m not going to copy any act. I have built this. Its the beginning at may floating roserutine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRe6X-wmCk
I just need the music...and I don't care if its the same musik outer person had used because I live in sweden and here not many magican do the floating rose or have seen it in usa ,o)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Choice of music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL