The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Flame through a handkerchief (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tomasz Vinici
View Profile
New user
Poland
6 Posts

Profile of Tomasz Vinici
Dear Fellow Magicians,

I appeal to you with a question about a trick called "Flame through a handkerchief". I hope this is the correct name for this trick.
I searched all the magic stores I know and only wire gimmick I found. But I need a candle on gas, this is not anywhere.

Do you know where I can buy this prop - candle gas?

For the response to Thank you in advance.

All the best,
Tomasz Vinici
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Can you describe it in a Private Message to me?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe you are speaking about the Phantom Candle, that was the classic name anyway. It was popularized by Fred Kaps. I do not think it is currently on the market.

Effect: Silk placed over the top of a burning candle and the silk is drawn several time across the top of the candle. Then it is drawn completely off the candle.
Tomasz Vinici
View Profile
New user
Poland
6 Posts

Profile of Tomasz Vinici
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 12:32, wmhegbli wrote:
I believe you are speaking about the Phantom Candle, that was the classic name anyway. It was popularized by Fred Kaps. I do not think it is currently on the market.

Effect: Silk placed over the top of a burning candle and the silk is drawn several time across the top of the candle. Then it is drawn completely off the candle.

Exactly, but Fred's candle was with wire. I want to buy candle gas. Is the difference when you want to use different silk sizes.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
I don't think that candle is being made any more.

But I can tell you that the "wire" one looks very good.

I used to do it all the time.

I would still do it if I could find it.

Randi
Tomasz Vinici
View Profile
New user
Poland
6 Posts

Profile of Tomasz Vinici
Thanks to wmhegbli I have found something like this:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA2185/Phantom-Candle.html

Randi, yes it looks awesome also and for audience effect is the same. But with normal size candle is a problem to use big silk, because gimmick not allow.

Greetings,
Thomas Vinici
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The advantage of the wire-type gimmick is that you can begin the effect with the flame already burning. The other type needs the flame to be lit after the candle is under the scarf.

That style used the old type "Cricket" lighters, which were round. The gas could be locked easily in the "on" position with a quick twist. There wasn't a lot of work needed to turn a tube into a "candle". Most disposable lighters are now oblong or rectangular, but a clever bit of engineering and a little more work could result in essentially the same method of operation.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 12:46, Tomasz Vinici wrote:
Thanks to wmhegbli I have found something like this:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA2185/Phantom-Candle.html

Randi, yes it looks awesome also and for audience effect is the same. But with normal size candle is a problem to use big silk, because gimmick not allow.

Greetings,
Thomas Vinici

This is not the classic trick I was mentioning, they only used the same name.

The main thing the lighter needs with the gas version is the ability to adjust the flame. Most disposible lighters today, do not allow for this feature.

Personally, I never found the gas candles to be as good as the wick lighters.
MagicalMichael
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MagicalMichael
Hi Thomas,

there are a couple of dealers in Germany who may have what you are looking for. As I do not want to promote a particular shop (I have made very good experiences with all of them so far), here are a few where I found such a candle. Search for "candle" or "kerze", or "silk thru candle" in their online shops.

http://www.itsmagic-zaubershop.de
http://www.stolina.de
http://www.zauberkellerhof.de

I don't remember where I bought mine, but I have a nice white candle you can light before you put the silk through the flame. It does its job and it uses gas - similar gas you use for Zippo lighters and the like. This is all I can say without giving the secret away.

I hope this helps.

Michael
Tomasz Vinici
View Profile
New user
Poland
6 Posts

Profile of Tomasz Vinici
Hi Michael,

thank you very much. That's what I'm looking for!

Thank you for help all of You. Your knowledge is worth one's weight in gold.

Greetings,
Thomas Vinici
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, while checking the web I found the Phantom Candle, this place calls it "Silk thru Candle".

http://www.thetrickery.com/full/Stage-Si......7896.htm
sam2452
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of sam2452
Jeff McBride sell candle gas in his web site.
roberto37
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of roberto37
The candle that Fred Kaps used is an invention of an Argentinian magician Carlos H Colombi
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Mr. Baker,
I still have the vintage candle with cricket lighter saved up. Was a great gag as aproduction from coat for example. If our friend is a good doit yorself he can make his own,or a variation thereof.
A 2 cents tip,try using white rubbing acohol-organic compound wich will not burn natural fibers provided
the flame is always pointing up ward.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Tomasz,

Here the link to the effect you're looking for. It's a german magic shop who sells the effect, but I think that the pictures and the name of the effect tells everything.

http://www.stolina.de/cgi-bin/shop.pl?f=......tem_2002

Good luck.

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just ran across this offering for the "Silk Through Candle" at Maxello Magic.

http://www.maxello.com/index.php?s=f3d08......&r=4&h=0 Scroll down the page.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, some manufacturers must be reading the Café. There is now 2 models of the old Phantom Candle on the market. One is from Italy and the other I have no idea where it is from.

They are called:
Flame thru Candle
Flam through Candle.

It is nice this effect is back on the market, prices range from $9 to $20 depending on the magic web site. I have no current knowledge of the craftsman ship of either product. Just wanted to let everyone know it is now available.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2011-02-06 13:48, Michael Baker wrote:
The advantage of the wire-type gimmick is that you can begin the effect with the flame already burning. The other type needs the flame to be lit after the candle is under the scarf.

I have the gas/butane type which I think I bought from Supreme magic before they closed down. You can begin the effect with the candle lit and pull the scarf over the candle/under the flame with the flame lit. It involves an extra little gimmick in the scarf. Pm if anyone needs to know the details.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, I took the dive and the Flame Through Candle and Flame thru Candle are one and the same product. It is made with a plastic tube, and is an unbelievable 12 inches long. Just to long for to be a part of any manipulation moves. What further makes this not good for an act is it uses a birthday candle instead of lighter fluid tank. So you must be careful so you don't get hot wax on your silk and skin. The instuctions also say the wax wick is supplied, but it is not, so you have to purchase a box of candles to even try the Flame thru Candle out.

It is so nice that our magic dealers are still supplying magic junk from India. What would magic do without India made junk. I purchased this from The Magic Warehouse.

I would not recommend purchasing this product if you intend to do more then the demo video show.

Note: There is a model of this effect called Silk Thru Candle that says it is made with powder coated metal, currently on some web sites.

I would like the add, this is constructed nicely, and well put together. What I don't like, and this is me personally, is the birthday candle and the length. Because of the way it is constructed, you cannot shorten the candle very easily, it would be major surgery. The next item of concern is a plastic candle. If the wick holder would be left to burn for any length of time, the metal holder would heat up and melt the plastic candle.

These things may be acceptable in the eyes of some, but being I have had 2 better models from years ago, it seems like a step backward for me.

This is the one I purchased.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......rd=FLAME THRU SILK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Flame through a handkerchief (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL