The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Instructional Videos! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Graham Lee
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Graham Lee
That discussion certainly kicked off (insert rolling eyes here) and is about offering youtube video of someone elses work who removed the video.
But another interesting topic, shame that people are not able to have a sensible discussion when having different viewpoints.
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Don't take life so seriously. No one gets out alive! Wow, I hope these guys have mellowed over the last couple of years. Grown men arguing about the artistic merits of twisting balloons. I am planning on learning this skill and hope to get good enough to make some money at it however after reading this whole thread it has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm. And yes I can appreciate some of the points(they are valid for magic as well as balloon twisting) made but still I think it's supposed to be a FUN and creative art. Or maybe not. Hopefully I get as good as these guys and don't take myself so seriously. Anyway forget why I started reading this thread in the first place. Smile
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Regardless of what Juliegel has to say, the manner in which he says it screams 'upstart' to me. If you come on a forum asking for an opinion of something you're doing, don't then get all upset when people (who incidentally are movers and shakers in the industry) offer their opinion. Unfortunately he sounds like a sad, young, immature upstart who is seeking some sort of validity by twisting a balloon. Tragic really. Just my opinion. Smile
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Since most of the links to this discussion are broken, altered or amended. I would think your opinion would be nullified.

Do some of us take balloon art seriously? Yes we do. Some of feed our families with it, other teach it and profit from that teaching.

Juliegel and I have met personally and resolved issues, and have mutual respect for each other.

Funny how nobody ever called out Dai Vernon for being opinionated ...
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
And the thread rises from the dead...

Such time has passed since this thread has started. I told myself that I would no longer reply but I think enough time has passed that I can at least be somewhat objective.

I started making youtube videos when they were still pretty few and far between. The idea, Do what the others wernt by offering the highest quality original work I could in the time limit youtube allowed me. Now you can run for hours but that is not important. Doing this I hoped to do two things.

1. Increase my visability in the balloon community through quality free content.
2. Provide more then the one balloon dog to the eager youtube learner.

In a lot of ways I think I succeded. I stoped making videos once I was no longer diffrent then others. Cody Williams, Claton James, Holly Harper, (fantastic people by the way) and many more began doing the same around the same time as me so I decided to back off and explore other areas. I am proud of the work I released and while some disagree with it many more found it incredibly useful.

These days I live in beautiful Portland Oregon. The weather is what I like and the local community is supportave. I have transitioned into making instructional PDFs because I noticed that no one was really teaching how to make the real showpieces. Im all for linework but what is tought on these PDFs is clearly not that. I currently have 10 that I am very proud of and am currently working on binding them into a physical book to be distributed in limited quantities. You can find them at http://www.slightlytwistedballoons.com/store.html

Obviously the time it takes to put together a large PDF is much more then setting up a camera for a 10 minute video so I have charged for these instructions. The profits feed into my advertisment budget and honestly I consider it a good situation for everyone. I am 3 years older now and do understand things from a business point of view a little better but I still stand by what I said. My content is mine and I will do with it what I please.

"Movers and shakers" aside, I am proud of the work I have put together. Just the other day at WBC an old woman approched me and told me that if it had not been for my balloon frog video she wouldent have been there with me that day. She got the biggest hug I could give and it made it all worth it.

As for you Mark. I have never met you, we have never "resolved" anything, and your claims of mutual respect may be a little onesided. Those I do respect are those who gave me words of encouragement as I faced negativity. People like Graham, Buster, the Brenions, Patrick Van De Ven, and all the others who encouraged me to keep going when I thought no one cared. I was proud to be a key member of team USA during the large sculpture build WBC this year. Without the people I mentioned I doubt I would have made it that far.

Dylan Gelinas,
www.slightlytwistedballoons.com
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Dylan your stuff rocks.

I first found your Signed Diamond channel when I graduated from one balloon figures and was impressed by your originality. Your working one armed crossbow has made me much $$. The doubled 350 gave me an idea for a cool longbow that I came up with from making the crossbow

As far as giving away other peoples work I haven't seen it. Some parts of certain things may have been made in similar, if not the same ways, but that's true of a lot of line work figures. I'm sure a lot of people have come up with ideas for things by looking at a piece of something they were learning, and thinking how it looked like something else.

While I haven't been called on for much display work, I'll surely use one of your pdf's if I need a figure that you sell. I know another member here recently used your Cheshire Cat to blow a customers mind.

Peace
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Dylan is a great guy and is very giving with his time. He is one of my favorite twisters on the scene today. Keep on keepin' on D! You're one if the good guys. Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
FuDD
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, Az.
150 Posts

Profile of FuDD
I enjoy Dylans work!! I enjoyed working with Dylan! I love balloons!!! Yeahhhhhhhhh
may you be filled with loving kindness
http://www.williamsmagic.com
http://www.celebratemagic.com
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Dylan, I think it should be said, though, that there is still very much a place for you to do "line work" style videos, whether on Youtube or as digital downloads for a cost. Either way - you have a lot to offer the balloon twisting community, and I'd love to see you style scaled down to quicker sculptures Smile But I'm a fan either way.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Bummer thought we met at the Florida Super Jam.

Must of been a Kid that looked a lot like you.

Sorry I'm not encouraging enough for you. I have encouraged many. Ask around. Talk to Connie whom you worked with on the build. I am sure Connie will vouch for me that my interest is what is best for the industry.

As I stated before,I am pointing out similarities to others work. Dylan did ask for an opinion of his work.

Sure I could have said "great stuff, love it", but how would that make him grow as an artist?

My best teachers were never people that told me good things about what I did, they were the ones that pushed me to do better or revisit my original thoughts and re-think it.

I still stand behind my opinions, To put out work that is similar to others without their permission I believe to be wrong. In my DVDs you will see credits to others.

This I learned from lecturers and teachers in the Magic Community. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

If you want to learn more about the ethical side of teaching balloons check out this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/681234688609979/
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Balloon Instructional Videos! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL