The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Oddest Place you've worked. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
"Where's the oddest place you've ever done professional paid for hypnosis?"

I know there's a lot of people hypnotising in toilets and such now as well as streets. But there there are some pro's here so this question is inspired by a guy's comment on facebook group.

My first Gig was a plush restaurant for the local police Xmas dinner dance and I died on my arse.

Then I started working the clubs, miners welfare's mostly which could be anything from 100 to 600 seaters. Did pubs and the forces bases, junior ranks and Sarn'ts mess's. I did 3 shows in Northern Island and never saw outside of a Saxon APC and the barracks the whole time I was there. Tough gigs for those guys their audience threw bricks and petrol bombs!

I actually did hypnotise woman in a toilet once. She ran into the ladies next to the stage with her hands locked shouting "You'll never take me alive!" or something like that, and thanks to radio mics I followed her and Zapped her through the door. The audience loved it, and so did she after the show. She was the star.

I've worked private parties and stags for as few as 10 people, pubs with 20 or so, Night Clubs, Social Clubs like Bloxwich Memorial for 300 [about that I think REG??] Holiday camp rooms like Butlins at Minehead at around 1500 for club 18-30 and 2000+ seater theatres like the Theatre Royal in Stoke. And once did a show at Featherstone High security prison near Wolverhampton for the inmates - I shat myself.

I once played a tent [marque] at Cranfield College of Technology Graduation Ball, which sat 250 people and they asked me to repeat the bloody show cause half of them couldn't get in so I was there for the Champagne breakfast and did another show over the sausage sandwiches.

I did an attic in Kings College Cambridge where me and my roadie got stoned thanks to 3000 spliffs being smoked by the 100 strong audience - freshers week ey? And a very intimate show in my mates PhD Dorm at Keele Uni with three people and me. Yes it was a hypnosis demo!

And did a Hells Angels house in Staffordshire for, or so it felt like, about 9 million bikers.

I did a packed restaurant in Nottingham with no stage area at all and did the full 1hr 15 minute cabaret from the bar and dropped them at their tables.

I once did a private 21st birthday pool party and said sod it and we wrapped the radio mic in a plastic bag and I did the show IN the pool. LOL, I was all slim and fitter then. :-(

I've got rid of a flying phobia in the back of a taxi going to the airport and did my one and only 'attended' hypno-birthing - I usually teach the birth partner to be my proxy - driving my ex wife to drop our youngest which I didn't get paid for but WTF, thought I'd mention it anyway.

I do some Skype stuff now which is decidedly odd.

Can't wait to hear where others have been doing the deed.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Most of my venues are fairly normal, but I did an art college last year. Under the arcane rules of the college they were not allowed advertise the show until 4pm on Tuesday afternoon. Showtime was 4pm on Thursday afternoon. So the posters went up at four, and I began at four thirty, with seven people in the marquee. I didn't bother switching on the sound system. There was one woman in the seven whom I had hypnotised on a previous visit to the college, so I did a quick induction, did thirty minutes, pocketed the cheque, and told them not to ring me until they had themselves sorted out.

I also did a gig in Lapland before a non-English speaking audience of Finns, and a show in Greece for an audience of Icelanders. Neither was an unqualified success. I did a show for hotel staff. They all spoke English but were from the Philippines, and were completely unfamiliar with the concept of hypnosis. They just didn't get it. So I moved into a magic show, and they were delighted with the evening.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Great stories there from the both of you. Had me laughing my head off!

They make my efforts seem boringly normal!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
My speciality!
Back gardens (private parties) a rich bloke's patio (on the deck for him and his 'staff') a wildfoods festival (everyone eating grubs and insects) racecourses (once while kids rode donkeys around me) bowling alley (Andrew Newton was there the week after) wineries, breweries, a wildlife park (Yes. A zoo!) dressed in camouflage in a room done out like a military bootcamp (the audience had to put on white jumpsuits and I was introduced as "Special Agent Hypno") a circus tent (for 400 firemen) and during the lunch break in a student union Café. (It was the lunch break bit that was odd. Full-blown stage show, great big glass windows, sunny day and people staring in from outside.)
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Reg- you win lol
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
In bed. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Quote:
On 2011-02-08 02:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
In bed. Smile

Professional paid for?
OhhhhKaaaaay...
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
At a hen party for a professional stripper and her girlfriends in the indoor pool.... No wait! That was a dream... Sorry Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-08 03:09, quicknotist wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-08 02:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
In bed. Smile

Professional paid for?
OhhhhKaaaaay...

Nope. Impromptu. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
What!? A Café beats a swimming pool? I don't think soooooooooo........... Does it?
Smiles

Jon Chase

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I simply can't compete with some of you (especially that Chase guy), but I once worked in a brothel. I know that doesn't sound right but it was a one off gig. I had no idea it was a brothel and I took along two extremely young up and coming magicians for experience. I realised what it was immediately but simply asked the two boys to go around the large room practicing their sponge-ball routine. I simply cannot reveal anymore on an open forum but I can say that our hosts were lovely and the two young men didn't have to pay any taxes on their fees.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
So that's working in a brothel and grooming young magicians then! Smile

It's all coming out now bobser!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Bobser, how young is "extremely young" ? LMAO
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I should have said, sorry. The boys were still at school 14-15 ish.
Both 30 yrs old now and both working magicians. I daren't say anymore.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
LOL Bob, I once did an alternative lifestyle show in a wear house in London where the manager wore a fred perry knitted shirt, a leather thong, thoigh boots and handcuffs. There were 200 people there in various arrays of peephole, boobs, backside and other bits! But never a brothel. Did you get paid in kind??"
Smiles

Jon Chase

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The Oddest Place you've worked. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL