The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar or Dollar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Ok that's find, but As Toto said to the Long Ranger " What do you meme WE Pail-face! " Smile You may Like quarters!!! But I like People to SEE my coins! An if they Can't see them there is no magic! And yes WE
have do Have choices So WE So we can prefer to use half's if We wan't to! And as a singer once said
" what's LOVE got to do with it??? " I don't LOVE any coins! I use what works For ME!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Can't object to that!

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Thank you!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Impressive website, Jason. Interesting. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
ally_tac
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of ally_tac
I'll choose the half dollar size because it fit my hand size.
But it seems that there is some unique gaff only made in one dollar size.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2012-06-13 18:31, Mb217 wrote:
Impressive website, Jason. Interesting. Smile

Thanks, Marion!
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
966 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Personally I use JFK halves because they're both familiar and easily accesible. Because of that all my gaffs are JFKs. Personally I'm rather rough on my coins so I would hate to spend the extra money on the older coins (and their gaff counterparts) since I know I run the risk of damaging them
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I think it's a matter of personal choice. I used quarters back in the day, then halves, then dollars. I've tried the silver rounds and the silver American Eagles; which are a smidge bigger than the silver dollars; but I prefer the silver dollars. I like the weight and feel of the silver dollars and have grown adept at performing sleights with them. That doesn't mean I can't use borrowed quarters. But the bulk of my coin magic is done with silver dollars and when I use gimmicks, (sh**ls and fl***ers), they are high-end products all designed from silver dollars by master craftsmen and they match my non-gimmicked coins so they fit right in.

Personally, I like the silver dollars, not only for the weight and size when handling them; but because the audience can see them and, (when I want them to), hear them very well. (By the way, I also love how silver dollars sound when clinking together!)
You can see a shiny, (and yes, I usually use polished silver dollars), silver dollar coin from across a room, if necessary. When something that large appears from nowhere or vanishes from sight, I think it's a much more noticeable and astonishing event.
There's also a certain 'romance' attached to the old, silver coins. They are a tangible, tactile connection to possible people and events in history. That sense of romance, history and, yes, mystery, helps to not only draw interest; but also add an emotional sense of wonder to the illusion(s) I'm performing. Even moreso than with borrowed coins. There may be a question - spoken or otherwise - about the authenticity of the coin; but more than half of my routines have some part happening in the spectator's hand. And I'm always willing to let them inspect the coins.
Some spectators may suspect gimmicked coins of sorts; but I don't think that's a big problem and they'll do that anyway. Whether it's a quarter, a half or a silver dollar from 100 years ago - if they're going to suspect trick coins of sorts, they're going to no matter what. If you borrow them, they'll suspect a switch. I think with the antique silver dollars, they may not suspect a gimmick just from the sheer ludicrous nature of such a thing anyhow. Who would cut up or otherwise gimmick something that old, that special and that valuable?! (Well...we would; but I think in some instances, the older, larger, silver coins may actually dissuade such thinking.)

Whether based on our professional or personal preferences - or both - I think the type and size of the coins we use quickly becomes a very personal thing for the individual as they develop both their skills and their professional performance identities.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Agree! Good post.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2012-06-19 02:31, Atom3339 wrote:
^ Agree! Good post.

I agree: a good, thoughtful post.
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I love criss angel
Hofi
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Hofi
I´m from Germany, but like to work with Half Dollars due to the size, better than our Euro currency (only the size ;-)) plus if I´m using gaffed coins I never mess them up with real coins and give it away. I use Silver Morgan Dollars for the coin matrix. This looks IMHO even better due to the size.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar or Dollar? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL