The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gigmasters subject line (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like getting emails from Gigmasters with the subject line "Magician Request." The first time or two it did get me to open the email thinking it was a possible booking. Since it is worded in a deliberately vague and deniable way they can say, "Oh, we just meant we request you to read this," or some other justification. Either they know what they're doing and they're deceptive, or they don't and they're not good at email subject lines, at the least. One way or another, it's a bad impression to give to a guy who is starting to earn some money earmarked for marketing.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I don't know, Dean. Had the subject line read "Gigmaster: Sign Up Now!" or something like that you and I probably would have ignored it. So, they got us to open their email - which is the goal of a marketing email after all and demonstrates that they know what they're doing; annoying or not. Two sides... Just sayin...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I just got this today. Not happy about it. It technically violates the can-spam act for using the deceptive subject line.
-Matt
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
727 Posts

Profile of dduane
Dean - are you 'on' Gig Masters? I use them with some degree of success. I never got an email with that heading. If you don't use them, I would recommend you try, unless you don't like bidding for a gig. It has paid for itself many times over for me.

Dennis
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Got one today as well

I just won't open any more Emails worded that way.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Skip,

The next few lines are written briefly, please interpret them in a friendly, discussion style. It's not my intent to criticize you personally, or even to irritate, but I DO love to overanalyze things, so I hope you don't mind if I clarify my thoughts.

I'm a guy who believes the ends don't justify the means. If they MUST know what they are doing, then they must know they are skirting ethical lines. But they HAVE turned a couple of us off. The goal isn't to get us reading the email, it's to get us to sign up. So they've been counterproductive.

I DID read all the emails they sent with subject lines about discounts, and they were next on my list of marketing techniques to look into. I'm gonna hold back the money for a bit longer.

Duane,

I'm glad to read that it is a productive route to work.

Hope I haven't written this stuff in too strident a manner, just discussing...thanks for letting me express myself.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Not a problem, Dean. As an old gumshoe detective, I just tend to look at multiple sides of a position and things like this tend to bother most folks more than they do me. Besides, open discussion opens the mind. Peace, Bra! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
I got the e-mail too - if it's unsolicited and it was (even though targeted) it's called SPAM - I have ZERO respect for people who spam they should be reported and shut down period.

Bond james bond
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I got the email ... and I to a degree I am in Way Skip Way's corner on this one: I don't necessarily agree with it, but it accomplished it's goal. And IF I were on there site (I am not) and they get others to visit this way, I suppose it would benefit me.

Just sayin'
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-02-10 13:46, jay leslie wrote:
Got one today as well

I just won't open any more Emails worded that way.

I find that if I set my email setting to "Preview" then I don't need to worry about opening. I can tell with the preview what kind of mails I get.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Gigmasters subject line (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL