The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Does anyone know about David DeVal's (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I've had this wheeler-tanner escape catalog for years now and they sell a set of handcuffs by this name from David DeVal. I guess these are totally examinable, gimmicked handcuffs that allow you to escape instantly, therefore, making them good for underwater escapes. I've been looking for a totally examinable set of handcuffs that you can escape from underwater. The "Greased Lightning" handcuffs sell for about $100.00. Are they worth that price? Thanks.

Ed, (Eddini). Smile Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I haven't had the spare cash but most folks recommend Ian's ADA 100s from Cannons.

Maybe someone that owns them can fill you in.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Go with Cannons and get the ADAs but you will have to give them measurements.

Don
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
DeVal's GL handcuff is an interesting concept but I know of very few people who us it in an underwater setting.

Also note that Tanner's prices are now higher than the catalog. I have the most current which is 5 years old and those prices are not correct due to inflation.

Joe may or may not have them in stock and usually you can get them for cheaper through another dealer.

Ed, if you need Joe's email address or other sites that sell them, let me know and I'll help you out.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Okay Shawn, thanks a lot. I'm just seeing what's out there as far as high quality, gimmicked cuffs that people can actually rigorously examine but allow you to free yourself in a matter of seconds.

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Try this site for Greased Lightning cuffs. I'm not sure if these are the DeVal ones.

http://www.tricksfortruth.com/shop/brows......p;path=6

Don
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks Don. I checked out the site and yes, I think those are the handcuffs from what I read in the description.

James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hey Ed,

I'd stear clear of the Greased Lightning cuffs. I went through 4 pairs, each with a different fault...eventually got my money back and bought the ADA100s from Cannons.

The quality of the DeVal products has really deteriorated since David passed on. They now go under Jeani Magic and the quality of workmanship on all the products I've seen is now very poor.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Okay James, thanks. I hear Cannons is a better shop and place for good quality stuff anyways. I like their website. Their Barrel Escape looks real nice.

Ed, (Eddini). Smile Smile
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Eddini, I also have a pair of David DeVal's Lightning fast handcuffs. I have had them for about 15 year now. I purchased them to see how they worked. I had read the advertisement that said they could be fully examined. They couldn't! Three things are very noticeable on the pair I have. Increased chain length with links that don't even look like handcuff links. The rivets have been popped for the dismantling of the cuff lock which really show as tampering. Lastly, the large head of the release button sticks out of the cuff lock.

I was very disappointed at the advertising of the product as well as the finished item.

Personally I recommend asking others of note, what they use.

Regards

Ian McColl
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Eddini, trust Ian. He is very honest and helpful. He has also been involved in escapes for many years plus he does research. He throughly looks up the patents, etc. Don.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I wouldn't use the Greased Lightning-style under water. I have two versions, one leg manacle and one handcuff. The handcuffs work fine but the leg manacles jammed on me due to play in the ratchet. If you have to use cuffs, develop a method to swap them with easy-to-escape cuffs before you submerge yourself.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Okay, thanks guys. Wow, Ian, that does sound disappointing. I did get his escapology video a couple of years ago and I thought it was okay. He showed different tricked models. I won't go into detail here though. I have a regular $40.00 set of Bridge Jumpers, got them years and years ago. They are a Fury make. I have a real set of Furys too, so I have been able to make a switch before. Years ago at wheeler-tanner escapes I bought a $60.00 pair of leg shackles "bridgejumpers". They say police commissioner on them. The only reason that I've bought from them is because they had an ad in the linking ring magazine and it was the only escape artist supplier I knew of. Anyway, thanks again guys.

Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Ed,

Yes, I was disappointed by both the fact that I have seen several of David DeVal's appearances on different TV shows (and thanks to those who sent me copies) back in the 1980s and his escape work is legendary. His handcuffs were certainly not up to the standard I expected. Also, the biggest disapointment was that there is only a small market place for escape equipment and anything that taints ones expectations of what is offered, can tarnish the reputation of all makers of equipment. Also, people work hard in their escape performances not to be handing out money for items that don't do what they want or need.

I must hasten to add that I have not seen the cuffs you mention and my thoughts are only on the grease lightning cuffs.

Regards

Ian McColl
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks again Ian. You are right, the public does tend to lump people into one category, even if it is just one person ruining it for the rest. It is quite a shame, I agree.

Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Hi all,

I agree with Ian on this one. I spoke to David on the phone every other day for three months when I was researching publicity escapes a number of years ago. I had read the adverts for the greased lightning cuffs but each time I asked David if I should buy a pair he kept putting me off by telling me to use bridge jumpers instead. When he finally gave in and sent me a pair, I could see why.

The release switch stands out a mile and you can tell by just looking at the outside of the cuffs that they have been tampered with.

Very disapointing. Don't waste your money.

Regards
Scott
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Buy something Ian made or created. I know Ian does take his time and does research his creations.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Don
eddini
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of eddini
Well Ian doesn't make the handcuffs no more so what should I buy ? James sent me a video as far as the handcuffs and I see how they work.

Thanks for your help.

Ed (Eddini)
eddini
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of eddini
Sorry I meant Alan lol. Like I said I have jumpers but don't like that they can't be examined though I've used them for years. I usually have them briefly hold the cuffs to see how much they way and I show the outside and ask if they see any switches ... etc. They say no, and I proceed. I always have a set of real cuffs in case afterwards they want to look more closely.

Ed (Eddini)
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Eddini----DL your "jumpers"...and hand them out.
...or use Ham 8s.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Does anyone know about David DeVal's (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL