The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Does adding danger to your Act really make it more exciting? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Given that you're a good performer and all else equal...

Does danger (real or perceived) really add to the excitement?

Example, blindfolded then figuring what an item is in the hand of spec or Osterlind's Acid Test where avoiding drinking the "acid" is imperative?

Of course both have to be done well...

Are they equal? Or...

Does the danger really add that "edge"?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I know that there will be no shortage of folks who will disagree, but IMO "danger" routines (e.g. spiker, acid test, Russian roulette) diminish rather than enhance one's performance. I believe that it is essential that a performance of mentalism MUST be credible -- not that the audience must necessarily believe that what the performer does is real, but that the majority of observers be willing to entertain the thought that it MIGHT be. What rational observer will seriously believe that a performer, no matter how much they are being paid, would risk death or serious injury for the "entertainment" of others? Would one even consider watching someone kill or injure themselves "entertaining?" I think not, therefor -- assuming that the performer is not harmed -- the only possible explanation is that the "risk" is only illusory; i.e., it is simply a clever trick. IMO that is the LAST impression a mentalist wants to create. In the event that the performer IS harmed (as so many have been in the case of the "spiker" effects) the perception is that the performer is either an idiot or at least inept -- not the impression one wants to create either.

That is NOT to say that such effects are not exciting, just that they strain credibility beyond the breaking point.

For those who will take issue with my comments -- you are certainly entitled to your opinions. Just don't expect me to change mine.
Dick Christian
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
I generally find the routines with spike unconformable to watch, even though I know how they work it is just the idea if something did go wrong. So I tend not to watch them, however I do like the idea of Luke Jermay's Dangerous Opener where the audience does not know what is really happening until the end where the knife/spike is revealed.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
In my opinion, no. Back in the 70s, the answer would have been yes. In fact at that time it was an element of many "mystery entertainment" shows, so many that it was ever escalating to a point of unbelieveability. In my opinion, most performances are looked on as such, performances. A 'fake mindreader' adding 'fake danger' to his 'fake demonstration', er, I mean show. For most, thinking otherwise may only be fooling one's self.
Santiago
View Profile
New user
Argentina
75 Posts

Profile of Santiago
I think it depends on the audience you are performing for. For example, if you perform some kind of Russian Roulette for a group of teenagers you'll blow their minds away, at least here where I live.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
A couple of things that many who take the danger path don't seem to realise:

If you are doing Russian Roullette or any effect where your life is in danger then surely, for the sake of credibility, you should be at a venue or a performance where the risks are WORTH taking. Derren Brown doing a "psychological experiment" on TV is miles away from a stand up show in a Church Hall.

Also, if you are going to risk your life then make sure your audience give a ***! If your audience haven't learnt to like and, to an extent, trust you then they are very unlikely to engage in the performance.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I also like the idea of Luke Jermays' Dangerous Opener.

And my routine for The Pain Game (once it's ready) will not reveal the contents of the bags until the end.

Steve
Santiago
View Profile
New user
Argentina
75 Posts

Profile of Santiago
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 09:15, steveline wrote:
I also like the idea of Luke Jermays' Dangerous Opener.

And my routine for The Pain Game (once it's ready) will not reveal the contents of the bags until the end.

Steve

I like the idea of revealing the danger at the end, because it doesn't make the audience feel like gh256 has described and because I think it's a bigger surprise.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Yes it does. On occasion I will randomly pull an audience member up on stage and challenge them to a fight, Andy Kaufman style.
P3
practice practice perform.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I think 'Danger' or it to put correctly the fear or delight that that induces in the audience is just another emotion like humour, wonder, confusion. For and all round act, it's my opinion that a bit of every emotion makes for a good show.

Having too much of just one type of emotion (film makers have known for decades) just doesn't work. you can't keep any one emotion doing for the whole duration and seriousness needs light relief and vise verser.

Even in the middle of your 'spike' routine you can inject some humour to break it up a bit, then back to serious.

People who wouldn't normally watch serious stuff and would be bored by it can be won over with humour first then into something serious but nothing for too long, taking into mind the attention span of the audience.

The one thing I do in my act when adding or subtracting a routine is to work out how it fits with the routines around it and if I have too much of one type of emotion for too long.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
IMO it doesn't matter whether the "spike" is revealed before or after the effect is concluded -- any shred of credibility is lost either way.
Dick Christian
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
It also has to be remembered even by us that many a 'spike routine' has in fact gone wrong.

It may be their own silly fault, but that's hardly the point. Certainly if you have lost track of your safety checks, then no good can come of carrying on.

So dangerous tricks can in fact sometimes be dangerous!

I've even had audience members say to me that they have seen the youtube clips of when it has gone wrong and that's great as it instills in there mind that it can go wrong. Not that it would with me as I have more than a couple of safety checks in place and if I'm not 150% sure then I WILL STOP. (Plenty of other things I can show them)
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Houdini did many an escape that was dangerous. He held his audiences attention. People were different then. Violence was not being fed to them through video games, the news, etc. 7-24; which we have grown to become indifferent and callous to such scenes. If he had todays audiences, how many would be upset that he was successful? How many would go with hopes of him effing up and getting injured or die?
If one takes a look at todays society with the graphic scenes in todays horror/gore movies, real time movies like "Faces of Death', cage fighting, etc. How many times did the news show the beheading of someone in the middle east? And how many times did we sit with rapt attention watching it? It seems like todays audiences would be pleased to see effects like 'Spike' or 'Russian Roullette', but are they dissapointed that there is no pain, no blood, no gore?
I know that routines like that are not for me so I know that my audiences would not be excited if I did them.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 09:36, Shrubsole wrote:
I think 'Danger' or it to put correctly the fear or delight that that induces in the audience is just another emotion like humour, wonder, confusion. For and all round act, it's my opinion that a bit of every emotion makes for a good show.

Having too much of just one type of emotion (film makers have known for decades) just doesn't work. you can't keep any one emotion doing for the whole duration and seriousness needs light relief and vise verser.

Even in the middle of your 'spike' routine you can inject some humour to break it up a bit, then back to serious.

People who wouldn't normally watch serious stuff and would be bored by it can be won over with humour first then into something serious but nothing for too long, taking into mind the attention span of the audience.

The one thing I do in my act when adding or subtracting a routine is to work out how it fits with the routines around it and if I have too much of one type of emotion for too long.

Thanks Shrubsole...

As an Actor, I get that point very well. Smile
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a difficult question because it's going to be dependent on your character and the context of the presentation...along with the audience.

Personally, I don't much care for "danger" effects. They inspire the 'train wreck' mentality. You know it's an trick and the guy is probably going to survive unscathed...and the only thing to keep you watching is wondering if he's going to mess it up or not. I don't like them because the presentation so often focuses on the effect instead of the performer or presentation.

Having said that, I've seen Osterlind's Russian Roulette and a few of the escape artists doing potentially dangerous things. While the are all well executed, they leave me considerably less interested than a solid effect with a surprise ending.

I guess that's the other thing about danger effects: other than relief of the performer and the audience...there's no surprise. It turns out exactly as you'd hoped it would.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
The only rule is there are no rules , what works for one performer will fail miserably for another.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 11:30, tboehnlein wrote:
The only rule is there are no rules , what works for one performer will fail miserably for another.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Just wanted to know what others think about the issue. Smile
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 11:04, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Thanks Shrubsole...

As an Actor, I get that point very well. Smile

Are we not all actors? I know that I'm using a 'method' but have to look like I'm doing something else. That would be acting! Smile

We even refer to them as our ACTS!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Too true. We're all Actors here. Smile
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Every show producer, booker and agent requests Slamdown quite often, especially, after seeing the show live.

It fits me, it might not fit some others.

Dick, you and I seem to disagree on just about everything, LOL!!! But, I bet that we would get along fine if we ever meet.

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Does adding danger to your Act really make it more exciting? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL