The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Device on the Tony Clark Instant Dove Release (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
This particular dove harness has a device, almost like a tiny plastic hinge on it. Does anybody know what these are called, or where they can be found. I know I saw them in a hobby store or something a few years ago, but I can't remember where.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jeremy, the technical term for this device is plastic hinge Smile They are available in hobby stores and also in fabric stores like JoAnns.
Where the magic begins
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Yes they're plastic hinges, and I have looked in JoAnn fabrics and other places, but haven't been able to find them lately. Does anybody know of any other places?
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Isn't it a snap button? Or am I referring to something different?

http://asiabutton.win.mofcom.gov.cn/www/......3710.jpg
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Your thinking something different....... Tony Clark uses a plastic hinge on his instant dove. Did you try Michael's or AC more?
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Plastic hinges are used on model airplanes. Check radio controlled planes and kits for them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jeremy, just out of curiosity, why do you need a source for these. The one that comes with Tony's harness is pretty much indestructible.
Where the magic begins
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
There are actually multiple uses I have found for them, not as replacements, but rather for other gimmicks in my dove act. One is for a covering for an appearing cage, to keep it concealed until it is pulled, similar to the dove harness, but on a lager scale, and with a different way to release them. I have actually done it with metal hinges which do work, but probably not as well.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found plastic hinges on the Internet, but you have to buy a large quantity. Just do a Google search. I find a lot of this stuff referenced on the Café, put it my favorites, now my favorites is so large, it is lost again.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You might want to drop Tony a message and ask where he gets his from. He's a member here but you might have better luck sending him an email.
Where the magic begins
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Ya I did try once. Maybe I'll try again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know if you took my advice, probably not as there was no comments toward that end.

So I Googled clear plastic hinge and come up with several choices. You have not mentioned the size of the hinge, as I do not own his dove bag.

You might get better response for Tony Clark if you ask to purchase the hinges from him. My experience with Tony Clark, is if he is uncomfortable answering an email, he will just not respond. I ask him if he would send me a DVD of one of his download files, due to his none response, I take it the answer was no.
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
I have done web searches multiple times and never really found anything acceptable. The hinges are quite small, each piece is about half an inch wide, and 5/8 inch long.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
You might get better response for Tony Clark if you ask to purchase the hinges from him. My experience with Tony Clark, is if he is uncomfortable answering an email, he will just not respond.

I've never had that type of situation with Tony. He's always answered my emails. I wouldn't use our PM system as he doesn't get here very often but he should answer your email.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I do not know what you are looking for, then you will have to tell me what is wrong with these.

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/19acryl.htm

abcplastics

@Dave, I am not a liar, I am only telling my personal experience with Tony Clark. Having met Tony several times over the years, he is a really nice guy. I think he is an excellent magician and I respect him very much. He was trained in the magic business by Norm Nielsen, and the policy of Mr. Nielsen must have been passed on as well. I sell what I sell and how I sell it. Norm told me once if I wanted my Sword thru Body with the silk wrapping, to just buy another sword from him. So the easy way to get the hinge would be to just buy another Dove Bag.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tony is a top notch professional. I recently had question concerning making a custom prop based somewhat on one of his products. I have known Tony for years and contacted him. He graciously allowed me to make this for the gentleman.

As for the hinges, I must agree that I wondered why you needed these hinges also. You answered to my satisfaction. I am always careful in giving out sources as they are often the key to making various products. I am sure this is why you have not heard from Tony. I would just let it go and not press the issue.

There are Thomas Registers, the internet and several leads you have been given here. You have to take the time to find the items. I cannot tell you how much time I spend just hunting various materials. I protect my sources very closely.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 22:40, wmhegbli wrote:
@Dave, I am not a liar, I am only telling my personal experience with Tony Clark. Having met Tony several times over the years, he is a really nice guy. I think he is an excellent magician and I respect him very much. He was trained in the magic business by Norm Nielsen, and the policy of Mr. Nielsen must have been passed on as well. I sell what I sell and how I sell it. Norm told me once if I wanted my Sword thru Body with the silk wrapping, to just buy another sword from him. So the easy way to get the hinge would be to just buy another Dove Bag.

Bill, don't misunderstand. I wasn't calling you a liar. I was, like you, stating my experience with Tony. The OP sounds like he wants several sets of these so buying 3 or 4 dove bags to get the hinges might be cost prohibitive.
Where the magic begins
JBiesecker
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
144 Posts

Profile of JBiesecker
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 22:40, wmhegbli wrote:
As I do not know what you are looking for, then you will have to tell me what is wrong with these.

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/19acryl.htm

abcplastics

Thanks for posting this. These hinges are somewhat similar, I suppose that it might be worth checking them, but it's probably unlikely that they would work, at least not as well, because they are a little large, and it needs to be possible to remove the pins, and sew them unto fabric. One thing that I should probably specify about the hinges used on the Tony Clark harnesses, for those who haven't seen them is that the hinges are not actually used as "hinges", they don't have any pin connecting them, but something else entirely that gets removed during the act.

Quote:
Bill, don't misunderstand. I wasn't calling you a liar. I was, like you, stating my experience with Tony. The OP sounds like he wants several sets of these so buying 3 or 4 dove bags to get the hinges might be cost prohibitive.

Correct. I could simply order multiple harnesses, but it would be quite expensive because I do need several, possibly dozens, because in addition to the gimmick I mentioned, there have been multiple other gimmicks I have thought about making. The Tony Clark Dove harness is an ingenious gimmick, and I do believe that the same basic concept can be used in many other props. As I mentioned before, I have done it with similar metal hinges, which aren't as good, but maybe I'll just have to stick with them for awhile.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jeremy, here's a site that might help. I don't the exact same hinge that Tony uses but it might be worth looking at.

http://www.ashfordmodel.co.uk/hinges-45-c.asp

If you're searching the web, try looking for mylar hinges rather than plastic hinges. I think mylar is closer to what you are looking for.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I did purchase Tony's instant Dove Release before. If Tony did not invent it, I was going to be the inventor: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13 Smile

What I do not like about the plastic hinges is the difficulty of trying to align the two parts of the hinges when putting thru the fish line. So I changed to using a mini metal hinge instead.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Device on the Tony Clark Instant Dove Release (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL