The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I regret I never saw . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ella Fitzgerald in person. I had every opportunity to do so, as she had scheduled many concerts in venues near to where I was living at the time. But somehow I missed her. Now she's gone of course, and there are no more chances.

Is there any performer you regret you missed when you had the opportunity?
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
I had a chance to meet Robert Munch, but he left the tv studio before I could shake his hand. If I would have shown up ten minutes earlier, I would have met my fav childhood writer.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Yes Red Skelton. I had loved him since I was a kid. One time while he was performing in Vegas my mom mentioned to me where he was doing his show etc.. I said yeah I know but I don't have the funds to go she just said "Well' and gave me this look. It didn't dawn on me till much later that she just may have been saying will ask this time. Oh well you live and learn from your mistakes.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Roy Orbison was at the local summer fair as part of the grandstand shows. For whatever reason I decided not to go. Shortly after was the traveling Willburys, then he was gone.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Diego Maradona playing against Scotland at Hampden Park in Glasgow in 1979. Despite the fact that I'd loved watching the 1978 World Cup winning team, to which Maradona had been added for the friendly match, I had an important exam the next day, and I decided I'd be sensible and study that evening, then just watch the highlights on TV rather than go to the match. Maradona scored his first international goal in that game, an amazing goal by all accounts, which really confirmed his specialness. But there was a strike that day in the TV studios, so the TV company didn't even film it, the only footage I've seen was a grainy film from a company who were sponsoring the event. The moral is that you can always re-sit an exam, you can never re-sit seeing one of the greats do something special.

On the plus side, a couple of years ago my son and I went to see Lionel Messi play, which helped ease that particular pain.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
...Summer's hoo hoo.
You know why don't act naive.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'll have to go with Summer's hoo hoo as well.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Pope John Paul. OK, he's a different kind of performer.

In November of 1998, I was in Rome for a break. It was a rainy Saturday and I decide to go see the Vatican. While I was in St. Peters an elderly man came up to me (no it wasn't the Pope) and started speaking to me in Italian. I didn't have a clue what he was saying. So the man motioned over one of the guides. He explained that the elderly man was inviting me to see the Pope give mass the next day.

Well the next day I wasn't a very good catholic boy. It was pouring rain and I was a little hung over.
I ended up not going and have regretted it ever since.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I went to see Little Feat at the Urvine Auditorium on the University of Pennsylvania campus a long time ago. They had a 7:00 show, and a 9:30 show. The doors opened for the second show at 9:15, so I quickly went to the bath room before the show started, and some sweatty guy was smiling at me, and trying to talk to me in the men's room, but I paid no attention to him an quickly ran back to my seat. When the show started I saw that sweatty guy playing guitar, and singing on stage. It was the late great Lowell George smiling at me and trying to talk to me in the men's room that Saturday night many years ago, and I will kick myself in the butt for the rest of my life for not talking to that musicial legend. I bought my first Little Feat album in 1972 or 73.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO3ZMdcL8Pc

The guy in the white bib overalls is Lowell George
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Good one Al.
You know why don't act naive.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Pink Floyd with Waters & Gilmour.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Motown: on the same tour, John Paul II came to Edmonton. I am not nor ever was Catholic, but I do regret not going to see him. I also passed up the opportunity to hear Stephen Hawking. Both bad moves.

A few years later, I was to have dinner with Victor Borge. Unfortunately he became ill and had to cancel the visit.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
John,

While I didn't take the opportunity to see him, my aunt a Felician sister, who's order was founded in Krakow, the Popes home town did see him.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This isn't w/in the spirit of the question but regret remains. I had tickets to see Ozzie Osbourne perform at the concert they were heading to when Randy Rhodes was killed.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Michael Jackson live. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah....he was good alive, dead....not so good. Did you know if you put your head down to the ground on his grave that you'll hear music in reverse? That is because he is decomposing!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 01:24, MagicSanta wrote:
Yeah....he was good alive, dead....not so good. Did you know if you put your head down to the ground on his grave that you'll hear music in reverse? That is because he is decomposing!

Decomposing? Smile Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
The Kingston Trio.
But I did get to meet Bob "Captain Kangaroo" Keeshan
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I always wished I had went to see James Brown when he came to the Ottawa Bluesfest years ago. Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 01:24, MagicSanta wrote:

I am coughing in laughter.
I remember back in 93 I went to Brazil for a few months as an exchange student. The family I was supposed to live with has a death in the family and I ended up with a great family who could speak very little (almost no) English. The third night the son (he was 20 odd at the time) walked in and he said "comprar" which meant eat to me and then at dinner he showed me two pieces of paper and said " Michael Jackson".
Great show.
At the end of my 3 month stay, my portuguese was pretty good, and I had seen not only Michael Jackson, but also Tina Turner and Madonna.
My only regret.....when my son was born, my wife required a C-section. The doctor said that he would prefer if I wasn't in the room because it is a medical procedure and there might be a hassle. I am petrified of blood so I gladly said Yes only to regret it later. I have to add though that all the great memories I have built up of my son over the past few months far outweigh the birth I missed. I was in the room next door and honestly after more than 20 hours of worry and my wife in pain I was so glad it was over I couldn't care too much at the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I regret I never saw . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL