The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is the IBM hard up these days? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I notice they have licensed their trademark to Fantasma...

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/74304

Not sure how I feel about that....
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Maybe I missed something. What leads you to believe that the I.B.M. has "licensed its trademark" to Hammacher Schlemmer or anyone? It is simply allowing H-S to sell the I.B.M. Magic Set -- just as they could let YFD, Toys-R-Us, Walmart or any other retailer carry it.
Dick Christian
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Yes, I don't understand the problem.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You missed something. Look at my OP again: I said they licensed their name to *Fantasma*, not Hammacher Schlemmer.

It is obviously the Fantasma set relabeled.

Look here and compare pictures:

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasma-Super-Del......8&sr=8-1
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

There are only so many manufacturers of magic sets. If you want to put out a magic set, you contact a company who makes them and, for a fee, they make it for you and put your logo on it, etc.

I know this because I have known a couple of people who put out magic sets.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Except that this set isn't something the IBM designed and had delivered. Its the standard Deluxe Fantasma set with the IBM name added. Again, please look at the pictures.

In fact *I* have experience with just such licensing, when we did the nascar racing Online game at TEN.

The questions I have are
(a) What, if any, quality control is the IBM exercising here? (I've read a number of the reviews on amazon and the quality sounds about average-cheap for these sorts of toy sets.)

(b) Should the IBM be licensing its name out for what, evidence suggests, is purely a financial arrangement?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Re-write of previous post.

I think the name of the set is incorrect, I believe this is the Fantasma set that was always endorsed by IBM. For what ever reason this merchant named differently.

Here is the link to the fantasma set the last paragraph says endorsed by IBM, and if you read the other advertisment it also says endorsed.
http://www.fantasmamagic.com/shopping/pr......rod=2221
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Fair enough then, it's nothing new just HM promoting the endorsement a bit more heavily.

I still have some mixed feelings about a serious magic fraternity lending their name and endorsement to what, according to most of the reviews I read, is a typical "toy quality" magic set.
But, I suppose it has its value as a way to get kids interested in the art.
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I personally don't think it's an issue. When David berglas was president of the magic circle, his son, marvin started using the magic circle logo on his box of tricks. I'd have thought the relationship was mutually beneficial, in fact I'm Sure it must have been or David and the committee, no doubt would not have agreed to it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 16:03, Cyberqat wrote:
Except that this set isn't something the IBM designed and had delivered. Its the standard Deluxe Fantasma set with the IBM name added. Again, please look at the pictures.

In fact *I* have experience with just such licensing, when we did the nascar racing Online game at TEN.

The questions I have are
(a) What, if any, quality control is the IBM exercising here? (I've read a number of the reviews on amazon and the quality sounds about average-cheap for these sorts of toy sets.)

(b) Should the IBM be licensing its name out for what, evidence suggests, is purely a financial arrangement?
Company's do this all the time.

-Harley Davidson has a line of shoes. There made by Wolverine

-Ford has had special edition Eddie Bauer and Harley Davidson packages on there SUVs/Trucks.

-Clothing designers license there name to many other products. Fragrances for instance.

-Martha Stewart has a line of paint, carpet, outdoor furniture, none of which are made by her.

These are brand extensions. And yes, they are new profit centers for companys.

What the IBM is doing is a very logical extension. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Now on the other hand, if they came out with a line of lunch meats, then I'd be worried.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 17:08, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 16:03, Cyberqat wrote:

The questions I have are

Company's do this all the time.

-Harley Davidson has a line of shoes. There made by Wolverine

Yes, companies do. If they have a successful brand then licensing it is a profit center.

But the IBM is not a company. Its a professional organization. Unlike all the companies you mentioned, generating income is not supposed to be its primary goal.

I think where such licensing serves its constituent members, its justified. Where it serves against their interests, it's not. I think arguments can be made either way, in this case.

On the one hand, encouraging new blood is a good thing for such an organization to do. On the other hand, if being associated with "toy magic" lowers the value of its name to its members, it might not be.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Well, every organization needs money. They may not be "for profit" (I don't know) but in order to have conventions and sponsor events, they need income.

However, I'm not sure how much money they are making on the set. They merely endorse it. It's not an "Official IBM Magic Set".

Without magic kits like these, I never would have gotten into magic. I think kits are essential to help recruit potential magicians. I, personally, am glad the IBM endorses a set to help foster future magicians.

How would it lower the value of its name? People know who these sets are targeted to. It's not like the IBM is endorsing cheap props for pros. That would be a different story all together.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Cyberqat,

I really have to disagree with you.

Putting it's name on a magic set can only bring more awareness to the IBM, which I think is a good thing.

We've all grown up with magic sets and most of us have probably owned one or given one as a gift.
We all understand the purpose they serve. So, I just don't see how this would cheapen their name.

Finding other profits centers keeps membership costs from going out of bounds and allows them to do more for us.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 15:15, Cyberqat wrote:
You missed something. Look at my OP again: I said they licensed their name to *Fantasma*, not Hammacher Schlemmer.

It is obviously the Fantasma set relabeled.

Look here and compare pictures:

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasma-Super-Del......8&sr=8-1

Cyberqat,

My error. I replied in haste and was confused by the fact that your OP included a link to the Hammacher-Schlemmer set instead of Fantasma. Meanwhile I see that subsequent posts have clarified the situation.
Dick Christian
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
If your only concern is that you've read bad reviews, be assured that those reviews are false. This is the best magic set currently on the market.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, you aren't disagreeing with me, because I said there were multiple sides to the question (once the situation was cleared.)

But thanks, it's interesting to hear your perspectives.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Mormonyoyoman, you forgot *jeep*
Magic is a vanishing art.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I once heard the chief financial officer of a non-profit organization say, "Where there is no margin, there is no mission."

Cyberqat, have you contacted anyone in the leadership at the International Brotherhood of Magicians? I am sure someone there might be better suited to answer the question than just throwing it out here. Then again, who knows how long ago the decision was made.

I had the honor of attending a mid-year board meeting a couple of years ago, and I can tell you this: The board is dedicated to preserving the integrity of the organization and promoting it, as well as promoting the magical arts. The board members do not always agree on every point, but I believe they all agree on the broader vision of the organization.

If I wanted to know why the organization decided something, I would contact someone in leadership.

Bobby

p.s. I serve as an associate editor of The Linking Ring and the I.B.M. Web Portal (in a voluntary capacity), however, my participation has dwindled some due to heavy work commitments.
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
DavidSandy
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DavidSandy
I just happened to see this posting and thought I'd offer some clarity. The IBM was approached by Fantasma back in about 2002 or so (just before I became International President in 2003) about the idea of a mutually-beneficial arrangement. The IBM wanted more awareness... we wanted to get our name in front of young, budding magicians. We were not paid for the endorsement. We allowed Fantasma (only after carefully reviewing the quality of the products) to use our logo as an endorsement in exchange for substantial promotion both on the exterior of the box (our logo) and in the instruction manual. Some information is given about the IBM in the instruction manual along with our website.

Of course, our Legal Advisor reviewed every aspect of the endorsement to insure we were protected from a liability standpoint and extensive paperwork was signed.

It really was a good thing for the IBM... good promotion... good exposure... and it cost us nothing.

As an additional benefit of our relationship with Fantasma, our junior winners of the IBM Stage and Close-Up Contests receive a phenomenal prize package (including a trip to New York) courtesy of Fantasma Magic.

I hope this clears a few things up. Thanks so much!

Best,

David Sandy
IBM International President 2003-2004
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thank you for the details, David!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is the IBM hard up these days? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL