The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How is this done? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
Did 3 straight hours of strolling on Saturday, did 3 effects stoplight, tattoo you & the voodoo doll.Oh and I did an occasional one coin routine to draw people in.

My strolling results could be described as dire....and that's being generous, however I am bamboozled as to how this could be done. Do experienced strollers have a table, do 3 effects and then say thanks folks, pass the hat around and repeat...or just do 3 tricks on a cylcle (don't they work stuff out) or is it true strolling....no table just walking up to people....

perplexed
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I can't speak for whomever you quoted, but assuming there are enough people at an event, you can stroll though an event performing for small groups as you go, using a minimal number of effects over quite a long period of time. Strolling and working from a fixed location are two different things. Passing the hat is busking.

Please give more information regarding the type of event where you tried, but had problems.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Perplexed,

Like Mike said, if there are enough people and they're in small groups, it would work.

I'm almost always carrying way more than I end up using. Often I could do just the same 3 effects but I'd rather do more for the experience or just for some variety. Two or three effects are enough for each interaction. Leave 'em wanting more.

To my way of thinking, Strolling Magic means no tables, so it's mostly in hand or occasionally having a spectator pick a card etc... That isn't always possible if hands are full with drinks and plates or barbecue fingers are a problem. I've never passed a hat at a strolling event. I think Mike is right about that too. Passing the hat is busking but you could be doing strolling busking I guess.

Remember, every performance should reflect the people you're working for, so even though they might be the same effects, the interaction will be different. I guess I'm stating the obvious.

-Mary Mowder
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Last paid gig I did was at the American Airlines Center. I brought Two Copper, One Silver...the Sponge Bunnies....and a deck of cards for the Ambitious Card. There were a few thousand people there and they spent a lot of time standing in lines. I just did my three tricks for a group of 3-5, moved down the line a few feet and rinse repeat. I think I may have done Dr. Daley's transposition and an Erdnase Color Change a few times.

If I were doing the same gig today, I would probably carry my linking safety pins, Branded, and the gimmicks for the $100 Bill Switch in addition to the above tricks.

IMO, there is nothing like working light.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I carry a minimum of eight effects with me. Reason? The people are different. Sometimes it's families. Sometimes it's adults. It also matters whether they are young or old. Having eight allows me to cater what I do to what I think will be the best match for them.

Years ago, I designed a table that straps onto my body. For larger events I wear it. The interesting thing about wearing the table is that it makes me visually different...and makes ME more of an event. It also means that I don't need to get to a table to do the effect and I can retain control of my props the whole time.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
For me 3 effects are typical for strolling with 2-3 filler effects for those who ask for a repeat performance, I could never understand why some feel they have to carry so much.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Gotcha, so strolling is for drinks parties that kind of thing, not street magic, no tables. One thing I did wonder though, if you are doing 3 tricks and then moving down the line (as opposed to a near by but not adjacent group won't some people get to see your trick several times?

I am thinking of the once is magic twice is education idea.

Thank you,

D
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Djurmann: what makes you think the results were dire? Do you mean in terms of passing the hat i.e the amount of money you made? I always get a fee for my strolling /close up work and don't busk, but I know a few people who do and almost everyone says the same thing when they first pass the hat....you don't make much. It's an art to get people to pay for something when they do not have to. Would you pay to get on a bus if you knew there were no consequence to not paying? For me the likeability factor is absolutely key.

What situation are you performing in?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Hi Paul,

I guess I mean street magic. Tried going up to strangers in Switzerland and Ghent...no joy in Switzerland and pretty poor reactions in Ghent....but everyone has to bomb. All part of the learning. I have not done strolling as defined here....but then I am keen but new to magic....never had a paying gig anywhere though I have an unpaid one on the cards (boom boom). I probably have enough to do some paid work but I want to be good! So more practice, better patter....I have a long way to go. I am doing a magic comp soon not because I have any expectation of doing well, but because the experience and hopefully the feedback will be useful.

My target is to try to get paid work after at Christmas....go to the staff party (usually has several companies there) and do magic for all the tables, not just ours and pass out some business cards.

:0)
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I can't really give you any advice on the subject of street magic, having never done it myself. In terms of the strolling. Like others have said you really don't nee a big repertoire, but you do need those tricks to be polished so you can do them under fire and perform with confidence.

Sounds like you have a plan and giving out cards really is a great way of getting gigs. I get the majority of work by way of word of mouth, which really helps on the business side of things because advertising is expensive. Anyway, good luck in the competition.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thanks Smile

To be honest these days I am looking more at restaurants, corporate and parties.

I reckon have a minimum of 3 sets of 5 effects that I can do really well.....patter is the challenge!

The other thing I plan is that if I feel I am not good enough to do a job I will turn it down and recommend another. Better than going to a good venue and performing poorly.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 00:35, David Thiel wrote:
Years ago, I designed a table that straps onto my body. For larger events I wear it. The interesting thing about wearing the table is that it makes me visually different...and makes ME more of an event. It also means that I don't need to get to a table to do the effect and I can retain control of my props the whole time.

Sounds interesting? You don't have a photo of that somewhere, do you? I can see how it would definitely draw people in!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
That does sound interesting.. I'd like to see that as well. BTW... Andrew, I really like your new avatar, it looks great!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Working a line, I like to have more Magic and as David Thiel says people are different and it's nice to have the perfect Effect for a specific group (and that is golden). That is why I carry a lot of Magic but it isn't necessary. When working a line it can help to do one effect, move down a bit (or let the line move) and do your next Effect. That spreads the Magic a little more and people won't see repeats as you will have moved further before repeating.

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 16:03, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
That does sound interesting.. I'd like to see that as well. BTW... Andrew, I really like your new avatar, it looks great!

Thanks Aaron! Schultz Bros. photography in Los Angeles. They shoot the Beach Boys and the Olsen Twins. And me. I figured it was time to change it up a little!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thanks Mary :0)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How is this done? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL