We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Solid box question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there a date on the coinbox with lid solid gaff (not a solid box but a solid box plus lid) ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Oh gosh, can't recall in his name, he was a pharmacist in Detroit with a set of boxes... "O'Korto" He called 'em Aha MILT KORT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Pete, as best I recall that was a regular, a Boston and a thick walled - was there a solid brass box+lid too?

Maybe this will help:

Imagine you put the lid on the box and then it all went solid. No seams. Nothing but a piece of turned brass.
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
That is also called the plug box, right? What do you mean, is there a date on it? I have one. Don't know who made it. I got a set that was an okito box, boston box, and plug box. One lid that fits all three.
Kelvin
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Kelvin
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2663 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
In other words the "lid" is attached to the box, correct?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
No, the lid is separate. When removed the "box" is now solid. The solid plug is the same dimensions as the normal box.
Kelvin
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

What I'm looking for a piece of brass that looks the same as a coinbox with lid but it's all one piece.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-16 20:47, Andrewzuber wrote:
In other words the "lid" is attached to the box, correct?

It looks like the lid is on the box.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Jon, I've been researching lots of box routines, but haven't yet seen (So-Lid-Box, sounds like a good name to me?) what you're looking for.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you mean the lid does not come off? Have one made.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Jon, I was thinking, the lids on the Buddha boxes fits just a bit tighter than most. So, you could get a Buddha plug and super glue the lid on.

Another thing I've noticed with the Buddha box, is that if you're looking straight down, or straight on the box, you can't tell if the lid is on the box, or if it's the bottom of the box you're looking at. I haven't found a use for this just yet. But if, someone does please PM me.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
In "Expert Coin Magic" Richard Kaufman credits Leon Chappellier with the idea of a solid box bottom with an attached lid.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Mike Gallo has a brilliant routine on the latest New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD set, Called O-Kort-O Box, finishing with a solid plug (but the lid isn't attached as you suggest). However, I wonder if what you suggest would look to a spectator like a lid that doesn't come off? That would change the dynamic of the whole routine. instead of a box holding coins that became solid, it will be that all of a sudden, you can't open the box. I just don't know if it would look like one piece, or come off that way. Do you think if it DID look that way, that it would be a better effect than just the solid box? I don't know the answer, just askin.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1687 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Mike, I was thinking the same thing, as a gag. first they can't open the box, then later, it opens but the coins no longer fit....

What if you just glue a lid on a normal Okito box instead of the plug? How about glue the lid on a box with two coins inside, so it can rattle, but not open.

I once saw Steve Beam do something like this with a sharpie marker. The guy couldn't remove the cap, a lady could remove the lid, but couldn't re- cap the pen.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 18:39, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Mike Gallo has a brilliant routine on the latest New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD set, Called O-Kort-O Box, finishing with a solid plug (but the lid isn't attached as you suggest). However, I wonder if what you suggest would look to a spectator like a lid that doesn't come off? That would change the dynamic of the whole routine. instead of a box holding coins that became solid, it will be that all of a sudden, you can't open the box. I just don't know if it would look like one piece, or come off that way. Do you think if it DID look that way, that it would be a better effect than just the solid box? I don't know the answer, just askin.

Yes, it would seem as if the lid was stuck.
I flip the empty box over to show the bottom then make the switch. Just leave the plug there, wait a while or go on to something else.
Then ask someone to put the coins back in the box for you. The reactions are priceless.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Solid box question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL