The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card to wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1173carld
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of 1173carld
Hi Group.

I'm looking for a card to wallet routine and need to purchase a new wallet..

There are so many on the market now and wondered what people use and what the best are out there.

Thanks

Carl
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you wear a jacket? Do you want the card in a sealed envelope, or just in a zipper compartment?
Do you wand a hip pocket style?
Do you palm well?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Hi Pete, just piggybacking off the OP's request...I've been looking for the same thing and don't have much knowledge about the effect. To answer some of your questions though, I'm an "intermediate amateur", over 20 years in magic, I don't wear a jacket, and I don't palm terribly well, although with more practice I'm sure I could improve.

As to wanting the card in a sealed envelope or just a zipper compartment, I think the envelope is a stronger effect, but if it complicates things too much, I'd be happy with the zipper compartment.

Not saying I'm lazy and wouldn't work at it, but I just don't have the time to devote to something that will require a lot of finger flinging. If that puts card to wallet effects out of reach for me, then I'm willing to accept that.

So I guess I want the best of all worlds: self-working, no-palm, no-jacket card to wallet. Oh yeah, cheap too! Smile

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
- Bob
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
It pretty much puts good card to wallets out of reach.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2011-02-16 16:57, seneca77 wrote:
Hi Pete, just piggybacking off the OP's request...I've been looking for the same thing and don't have much knowledge about the effect. To answer some of your questions though, I'm an "intermediate amateur", over 20 years in magic, I don't wear a jacket, and I don't palm terribly well, although with more practice I'm sure I could improve.

As to wanting the card in a sealed envelope or just a zipper compartment, I think the envelope is a stronger effect, but if it complicates things too much, I'd be happy with the zipper compartment.

Not saying I'm lazy and wouldn't work at it, but I just don't have the time to devote to something that will require a lot of finger flinging. If that puts card to wallet effects out of reach for me, then I'm willing to accept that.

So I guess I want the best of all worlds: self-working, no-palm, no-jacket card to wallet. Oh yeah, cheap too! Smile

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
- Bob

Check out the Pimpernel Notecase, by Peter Scarlett. It's discussed in a number of threads here. Among them, this one:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If you are willing to palm, check out the version in Steve Ehlers' video Arizona Card Expert. http://www.magic4less.com had it pretty cheap when I got it. He uses a normal wallet and the card ends up in one of those plastic credit card holders in the wallet. Because it is a normal American style billfold, I find it more believable than the bigger Mullica style wallets that are gimmicked for the effect.

If you are familiar with the handling of a Mullica wallet, I bet you could come up with a version that's not too spendy with a modified checkbook. Even say something like "let's check and see what we have here." Or bet you can find the card, promising $20 if you lose, then say you will have to write a check for it, as motivation for getting the checkbook out. The Mullica handling I am familiar with is from Bill Abbott's DVD about kid magic. As I envision it, you'd only have to make a small modification to the checkbook. Put the checkbook on the table when you say you'll pay $20 for a failure and leave it there. Use the moves from the Mullica routine with your checkbook (obviously without the extra zippered compartment) and so on.

A very nice basic version is also available on Patrick Page's DVD on the subject. He talks about how to modify a normal wallet (I guess a British style, as I'm not finding anything like that in my town).

I don't think it is possible to do a no-effort card to wallet, but I do think a little creativity will yield a good design for the trick without having to spend goo-gobs of cash.

-Patrick
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
Check out the Hip Pocket Bombshell by Tony Miller:

http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/bombshell.htm

And the Triple Threat wallet:

http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/t3.htm

High quality, versatile and very reasonably priced.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I am very happy with the Jerry O'Connell No Palm wallet. There is the large size for the jacket or the small size for the trouser pocket. I use the large size because it allows me to use the palm feature into an envelope sealed in a plastic bag (see Jerry's website for details) but the NO Palm feature is the same on both.

http://www.leatherjerry.com
http://www.leatherjerry.com/effects/effects.htm

Tim
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For your requirements the Pimpernel Notecase gets my vote aswell Smile
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:

Perhaps you could just hire Whit Haydn to do his Ambitious Card/Card to Wallet routine. You don't have to learn any difficult moves, you don't have to palm a card, and you don't have to wear a jacket. You just stand there and look amazed. It's perfect.

Wait a minute; it won't be cheap. Never mind. Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
seneca77
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa Bay, Florida
201 Posts

Profile of seneca77
Wow! Lots of resources to check out. Thank you everyone - I have some homework to do now!

- Bob
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:

Tony Miller's Hip Pocket Bombshell requires no finger flinging. It doesn't get much easier than this, and the wallet has a feature that lends itself to other applications as well.

His other wallet mentioned above - the Triple Threat - while also "no palm", does require some practice to get the necessary moves down, but it's fairly straightforward.

Both wallets look like something anyone would carry on a daily basis, and Tony's great to deal with.

You can see demo handlings of both here: http://www.rfaproductions.com/products/effects.htm
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
116 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
I believe Joshua Jay has an effect that might suit you.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
I own all of the wallets mentioned above. All GREAT suggesions and, certainly worthy of consideration.
With that said...
How bout a non gaffed wallet? Any wallet. Your current wallet.
Mr. Marucci are you still available?
Deadly routine.
Ted L
DGabbay
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DGabbay
Helder has something nice on his DVD, Red Mirror.
It is more of a showpiece and a challenge to do, but *** fooling. At least the method of using the wallet may be of interest.
justinw20
View Profile
New user
NorCal
16 Posts

Profile of justinw20
Outlaw Effects has some outstanding wallets, but they're not cheap. I can think of a couple a methods using their wallets that might work to accomplish what you want. http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/walletstop.html
Magic Mad
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Magic Mad
Eugene Burger has a nice card to wallet effect which doesn't require a palm, its on one of his videos. Steve draun's real man's wallet is a good hip style wallet but would require palming.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Well if we're recommending good sources for routines... While we're at it:

Jerry Mentzer has an entire book dedicated to CTW routines on his website.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Quote:
On 2011-02-23 07:44, Magic Mad wrote:
Eugene Burger has a nice card to wallet effect which doesn't require a palm, its on one of his videos. Steve draun's real man's wallet is a good hip style wallet but would require palming.

Eugene used the Mullica Wallet when he performed on what is now called "The Chicago Tapes". It's David Parr's handling, which also can be found in David's excellent book, Brain Food.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card to wallet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL