The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
We're proud to unveil Artifact coins, new custom-designed coins made exclusively for coin magic.

These were designed, made and tested (and tested, and tested, ad nauseum until we got it right) for the coin magician who desires all of the properties, beauty and antique richness that are found in coins such as the Walking Liberty or the Barber Half dollar, without the heavy price tag associated with original antique coins.

If you love walking through coin shows or shops and digging through pile after pile of scrap coins, spending tons of money on dulled, worn pieces, then these coins are not for you. If you have other things going on, such as gigs, you'll love these. They feel like Kennedy halves, glide like Walking Libs and have an eye-catching design that will catch your spectators' eyes.

More information is available here, and Ellusionist Vice President Jason Brumbalow talked at length about the manufacturing process in this podcast. We've been pretty excited about these for a while; we're glad we finally get to share them.
Joe Hadsall
Ellusionist, Content Developer
blog.ellusionist.com
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 16:24, MoJoe13 wrote:

If you love walking through coin shows or shops and digging through pile after pile of scrap coins, spending tons of money on dulled, worn pieces, then these coins are not for you. If you have other things going on, such as gigs, you'll love these.

I wish you all the best on these coins. They do look very nice, very interesting to me. I would, however, highly recommend you alter the 2 sentences quoted above.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I, for one, am very glad that they have an "eye-catching design that will catch your spectators' eyes."
:)
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3716 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Will any matching expanded and/or unexpanded she..s be available? The coins look very nice.

Thank you.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 18:07, jprace wrote:
I, for one, am very glad that they have an "eye-catching design that will catch your spectators' eyes."
:)

Crikey! What kind of terrible writer would write something so redundant?

Oy vey...
Joe Hadsall
blog.ellusionist.com
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
They are certainly cheaper than using a liberty half dollar or some other actual antique coin but they are of course obviously not a real coin. So what would make them an advantage over, say, a regular kennedy half dollar coin?
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Quote:
On 2011-02-17 19:09, rockwall wrote:
They are certainly cheaper than using a liberty half dollar or some other actual antique coin but they are of course obviously not a real coin. So what would make them an advantage over, say, a regular kennedy half dollar coin?

Personally, I couldn't tell you, because I haven't gotten a chance to feel my own set yet. But in talking to Jason about them, the Artifact coins glide like older Walking Libs or other older coins. Known how when you rub Kennedys together, they are really rigid, and scrape each other a little more roughly? Artifacts don't do that, Jason said.
Joe Hadsall
blog.ellusionist.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5862 Posts

Profile of motown
If the idea was to create something old and real looking, this isn't it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Do these coins actually have 'precision and stealth' stamped on them?
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
There's also a discussion going on in the coin forum here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=3&17

Personally, I'm not sure how a coin that advertises itself as "precision stealth" is supposed to attract a coin worker who wants their coins looking as ungimmicked as possible.

The patter possibilities feel limited too. But hey, this looks like it would be awesome for youtube performances.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Just like the Viper deck, Ghost deck and the like, it SCREAMS magic prop. As opposed to an antique coin which harkens a bit of class.

"Here are 4 old Morgan Silver dollars that belonged to my uncle."

"Here's a coin that says precision stealth that I bought online from an online magic store"

Which opening line would you rather use?
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
The whole point of using coins is that spectators know they're real. These scream "magic coins". Bad idea. Not only that but they're too small. Besides if you want to use small coins, a half dollar silver coin could be had for the price of this non-silver dollar manufactured coin. Also, I'd be worried these coins are made in China (probably) and may have some lead.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 01:15, Douglas Lippert wrote:
Also, I'd be worried these coins are made in China (probably) and may have some lead.

No lead. They are made of a nickel and zinc alloy. No worries.
Joe Hadsall
blog.ellusionist.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
They look nice, not enough for me to justify spending 6 dollars on a token that says Precision Stealth on one side though.

Anyone know what is written in spanish on the other side?

And my big question is, who was the minter the ad speaks about?
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-18 01:29, MoJoe13 wrote:
Quote:
Also, I'd be worried these coins are made in China (probably) and may have some lead.

No lead. They are made of a nickel and zinc alloy. No worries.

What country are they made in?
Douglas Lippert
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 01:38, Gospel Dan wrote:
Anyone know what is written in spanish on the other side?

Dan, I'm so disappointed in you. It's Latin, not Spanish. Smile

Fun trivia: Everyone at Ellusionist tried to speak with a Latin accent while designing these coins. But no one actually knew what a Latin accent sounded like. So we listened to Eddie Izzard's comedy bit about that instead. Good times.
Joe Hadsall
blog.ellusionist.com
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Doug,
You can TOUCH lead, just don't eat it. Lead is not radioactive, like say, your cellphone is. Are you afraid to go fishing beacause the weights are lead, oh no, the fish will get lead poisoning!

Actually EVERYTHING is being made in China now. I hope you know that iPhone is made in China, are you afraid of that?
James

Quote:
The whole point of using coins is that spectators know they're real. These scream "magic coins". Bad idea. Not only that but they're too small. Besides if you want to use small coins, a half dollar silver coin could be had for the price of this non-silver dollar manufactured coin. Also, I'd be worried these coins are made in China (probably) and may have some lead.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Very funny..You missed the point though.
Douglas Lippert
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
The basic idea sounds good - a modern, thicker and heavier update of the old palming coins. Maybe E might come out with different versions in the future, some that hopefully look more like actual coins. Don't have to look like U.S. coins, necessarily, as long as they look like they could be coins from somewhere. But there is nothing "stealth" about something that says "stealth" on it.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
The ad says $6.99 each. This is what I paid for my silver Walking Liberties at the local coin shop, and love them!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL