The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5772 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
When I was in Turkey many years ago, I found a supply of some of their older coins. Almost identical to half dollar size truly worn older coins. Best of all they have "T. C." engraved over and over around the outside edge. I got them two for a dollar and felt it was a bargain.

I wasn't aware that thicker was better for palming coins.

They look more like secret society medallions to me. I think the word "stealth" on them is a very minor issue in comparison to them not looking like currency.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2249 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Might as well use dollar tree poker chips.... these might be nice to practice with, but why....
Pay it forward
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 13:43, Tom Cutts wrote:

I wasn't aware that thicker was better for palming coins.

It's not. The palming advantage to these lies in the edges, which are generally hard to find with real, soft coins unless you have them remilled or purchase a Dean's Set. Traditional palming coins don't look or feel like real coins up close due to their thinness. If these E coins had a different design, they might be suitable for different close-up effects for which traditional palming coins are not.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1645 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Why would these coins interest spectators -- especially compared to vintage silver dollars or even Las Vegas slot tokens? These "coins" evoke nothing. What a hilariously bad idea (and IMO, they're ugly to boot).

Jerry
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think these (along with black cards, etc...) "sream magic prop"....to magicians. I'll wager a whole lot of people wouldn't recognize a silver dollar for what it is - and I don't remember the last time I have either spent half dollar currency or had a half dollar given to me in change for a purchase. Sure, all will be well once you show your audience the date on the coin, etc....to make *sure* they know it is not a magic prop Smile

Don't get me wrong, I prefer silver coins to these, but all this sound and fury....

Why would these coins interest spectators? Well, that depends on what the magician makes out of them, clearly. The answer *can* be, a whole lot. Plus, they do have an interesting design, IMO.

"These were my uncles silver dollars" - sure that's fine, but not particularly interesting, either. "Here's a coin that says precision stealth that I bought online from an online magic store." Wow - if that is the best a competent magician can do to introduce these coins, magic is in a pretty sorry state! But I do not believe that, of course.

I don't think you'll find silver walking liberties at the coin store for $6.99 or less, but this is more or less a recent development. All depends on the price of silver. Silver dollars a few days ago at my local coin store were $30.

A lot of sound and fury over....what? Nothing, really. Stage magic props don't scream "magic prop"? Of course they do. When a magician does a good cups and balls routine you can bet a lot of people assume they are trick cups, but then you (hopefully) entertain with them, anyway.

My real problem was the rather insulting 3rd paragraph in the first post in this thread! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 16:15, Chessmann wrote:
My real problem was the rather insulting 3rd paragraph in the first post in this thread! Smile

I was wondering what you thought the problem with those two sentences were. I didn't mean them to insult anyone. They've been on this forum for a couple of days, so I won't edit them; I'll own up to them.

What I was trying to get at was based on my own experience looking for coins. Frankly, I got exasperated looking through buckets of worns and other loose change looking for good ones. I didn't know what was good and bad. I would have rather spent that time practicing, and left the hunting tho those who can appreciate the finer details of them. What attracted me to the Artifact coins, and has had me excited ever since we started developing them, is that they were designed with magicians in mind, so someone who's still fairly new to coin magic gets the assurance that these have properties sought out by coin magicians. In terms of performance: If Eric Jones said we got that right, I believe him. I've heard about the treasure chest of coins that dude has, and we all know what he can do with them.

Sorry if those two sentences are still insulting. They weren't meant to be, but I'll take the lumps for them. Cool?

UPDATE: I happened to notice that there is no edit option for my original post. So I couldn't change it if I wanted to. Curse you, forum settings! Smile
Joe Hadsall
Ellusionist, Content Developer
blog.ellusionist.com
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 01:15, Douglas Lippert wrote:
The whole point of using coins is that spectators know they're real. These scream "magic coins". Bad idea. Not only that but they're too small. Besides if you want to use small coins, a half dollar silver coin could be had for the price of this non-silver dollar manufactured coin. Also, I'd be worried these coins are made in China (probably) and may have some lead.

Completely agree
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1129 Posts

Profile of caigy
These look like feke coins at a premium price.

For superb routines such as Eric Jones' Audio Coins, I have bought four 1977 Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Crown coins, which are similar in size and weight to US One Dollar coins but a lot cheaper to buy and easier to locate here in the UK. These coins are easily obtainable on ebay, give a good loud CLINK! and are also a great talking point with the Prince William, Kate Middleton wedding coming up in April.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/dec/25/25p77.jpg

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com www.MagicSiteUK.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 18:52, sohaib wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 01:15, Douglas Lippert wrote:
The whole point of using coins is that spectators know they're real.

Completely agree

Understand the point, but cannot quite agree. When a magician uses anything, it is suspect - unless the objects are borrowed from a spectator, which I think can be the only really valid argument here. If a magician pulls coins out of his pocket and does magic with them, they will be suspect. People suspect regular red bicycle cards of being trick cards, so it seems reasonable that if a magician pulls out 4 silver dollars and does good magic with them, these real coins will be suspect. Lots of foreign coins people have never laid eyes on before are being used in routines, and specs can only take our word that they are real coins. It doesn't make so much difference what kind of coins are used. When good magic is done, many will naturally suspect that trick ______'s are being used, whether they are these coins, silver dollars, English pennies, Mexican Centavos, Crowns, Chinese coins with holes in them.

Some coins may look more like circulated coins, but again, when good magic is done they are no less suspect of being trick coins. And in good magic, entertained spectators won't really care.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Yes but the difference between these and half dollars is that at the end, I am 100% comfortable handing out my Walking Liberties for inspection. They are real, genuine U.S. currency. While the spectators won't find anything gaffed with these fake coins, the fact that they have "precision stealth" on them removes their validity in my opinion. That right there says to me, "I bought these from a magic shop." With my Walkers, the spectators are left thinking, "I wonder how he did that?" whereas with these, I know my reaction would be "I wonder what was he hiding?" The magic may be strong, but I ALWAYS hand out my coins for inspection...not only to prove that there's nothing gaffed with them, but because they're interesting to look at and handle. I would never pass out these coins for spectators to look at.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 18:17, MoJoe13 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 16:15, Chessmann wrote:

I was wondering what you thought the problem with those two sentences were. I didn't mean them to insult anyone. They've been on this forum for a couple of days, so I won't edit them; I'll own up to them.

Well, the 'implications' jumped off the page when I read them. Maybe read that paragraph carefully a couple more times? Or, perhaps I picked up on something others don't feel is even there. As no one else has mentioned it, it doesn't seem worth any effort to discuss more. All the same, good luck with them.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
There are lots of kids who think good magic performing skills are something one can buy from a magic dealer. I used to be one of them and have the drawers full of toys to prove it. They'll sell plenty of these to the young'uns.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 19:38, Andrewzuber wrote:

...the fact that they have "precision stealth" on them removes their validity in my opinion. That right there says to me, "I bought these from a magic shop."

You see, to me that is thinking like a magician. I don't think lay people are going look at these coins and automatically associate them with a magic shop. Personally, I wouldn't have included the word 'stealth' (which would indicate I am not in 100% disagreement with you), but it is no big deal to me. Do the specs *really care* that they are genuine US currency? IMO, that would mostly revolve around the storying you weave as you perform, but then, the same could be done with these coins, could they not?

Anyway, as I said before, I like my Morgan Dollars and '64 Kennedy halves, and certainly won't be switching to these 'E' coins. But I find they have an interesting look, and if presented with some as a gift, wouldn't hesitate to create a routine with them.

But again, some like coins, some like laquer boxes, some like....

Out of curiosity, I wonder what other areas of magic we find this debate? Coins, yes. Cards, yes. Wooden eggs vs Rubber? Silks vs Hankys? I'm only half kidding. Would be curious to see what other areas of magic have this debate. Wait! Let me go over to the Ellusionist website, and... Smile
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
This is confusing to me.....

What is the going "Market Rate" for a Walking Liberty Half Dollar???

I get mine at a local shop for $5.00 each and Morgan Dollars for $17.00 each.

Mind you that these are "Scrap Coins", meaning soft and tarnished.

These "Artifact Coins" are still high in price as fake coins for $7.00 each.

I would only buy them for a cosmetic reason and I am very happy with my visually appealing Walking Liberties.

Am I missing something?!?!?!
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I just posted today in another thread that it's not about the props, it's about the performer and what he does with them, so I DO see the validity in using some story line about how these are "stealth coins...it's even engraved in them" or whatever you want to say. I just find that it limits the possibilities. Real coins aren't outrageously expensive, and I would be interested to know how these actually feel compared to the real thing. I would think if they're geared toward someone who is just learning coin magic, wouldn't it be better to learn using whatever coins you actually want to use in performances?

Maybe these handle well for something like Miser's Dream, in which case they could have other applications...though you can buy a handful of washers at Home Depot for what one of these will cost and essentially do the same thing.

As for the post about searching through bins of coins and such, I saw what you were pointing out to the OP. Seems like it may have not been his intention but after reading it more carefully I saw why you pointed it out.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 20:11, Salby wrote:
This is confusing to me.....

What is the going "Market Rate" for a Walking Liberty Half Dollar???

I get mine at a local shop for $5.00 each and Morgan Dollars for $17.00 each.

My local shop is an excellent one. They sell soft Morgans, but not what I would call scrap, where oftentimes, most of what makes a coin recognizeable has been worn off. Our shop sold them at $17 until silver started going up. About 2-3 weeks ago when I was last in, silver dollars were selling for $33, then a couple of days later, $30. Don't know what '64 Kennedy's are now, but they were around $6 when the dollars were going for $17.

If $17 is their current price, it sounds as if they did not raise the price of what they already had to match current silver prices.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 19:26, caigy wrote:

For superb routines such as Eric Jones' Audio Coins, I have bought four 1977 Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Crown coins, which are similar in size and weight to US One Dollar coins but a lot cheaper to buy and easier to locate here in the UK. These coins are easily obtainable on ebay, give a good loud CLINK! and are also a great talking point with the Prince William, Kate Middleton wedding coming up in April.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/dec/25/25p77.jpg

Paul Mc.

Those look awesome! Thanks for the link! BTW, I always liked you better than John.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
OK I could understand the purpose of the coins if they were morgan dollar sized coins but half dollars? I can get half dollar coins from my bank or buy them online.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I think purpose of the coins is to look attractive enough to the new and young magicians and hobbyist. The hype for the coins is over the top. I have never had an issue with E. I have spent hundreds of dollars on their site, but these coins are overhyped and overpriced. I would love to hear of one pro magician who will not only endorse these coins, but drop their morgans for the E coins. Not that it will convince me to turn over, but with all the great hype you'd think these unmentioned magicians would be fully endorsing them, and using them from now on.

I think these coins are mainly directed to newbies in magic, and who may not know any better and fall for all the hype. In otherwords, someone will read the add and think, "Wow, if I'm going to be a pro one day, I should get these coins."

Will someone please tell me who this minter was. I think it's important to the know considering the person is mentioned in the ad several times. If these coins are their best work ever, I would be interrested to see this person's other work.

Also, can someone tell me what it says in latin on the other side of the coin.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I think the target market is 12 to 16 year olds. That's probably why they are closer to half dollar size.
For most of the coin work you are probably doing at that age, clad Kennedy halves make more sense to me.
My Walking Liberties were $7.00 each a year and a half ago.
The thing to remember is that if you go ahead and buy Silver coins (like WLs) you can always get your money back (or more!). That won't happen with these.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL