The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Chessman,
I understand where you're coming from. But, I never meant that someone would actually introduce a trick by saying I bought these at an online magic shop. I don't normally say where I got my coins. When folks examine them, the occasionally ask where I found them, and I can easily say they were my grandpa's or whatever. when they see these, what is your response? I'd rather use a prop that has a decent explanation behind it.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Actually, they don't even look like the milling is that good on these coins. They are about the total opposite of elegant. It's like...they look crappy, but they certainly are nothing special to handle for the coinworker. Great concept. I'd put these about a step below those stupid Vegas Coins that everyone tried to rave about a few years back.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
So what's next, fancy "precision stealth" bills? "precision stealth" rope? "precision stealth" silks?
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
So what was your point Doug? Fear of lead? Fear of China made products?
James

Quote:
On 2011-02-18 07:40, Douglas Lippert wrote:
Very funny..You missed the point though.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 20:18, Xiqual wrote:
James

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41959

Maybe you'll finally get the point.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Maybe YOU will understand that you get lead poisoning from ingestion or inhalation [that means eating it or breathing it] You can handle lead.
The reason it's a problem with children is they always put their toys in their mouth. The paint thing is because kids eat paint chips off the wall. I suppose if you hav some oral fixation with these Artifact coins, lead might be a problem.
James

Quote:
On 2011-02-20 03:55, Douglas Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-19 20:18, Xiqual wrote:
James

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=41959

Maybe you'll finally get the point.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MoJoe13
View Profile
New user
Joplin, Mo.
43 Posts

Profile of MoJoe13
Doug: In case you didn't see the response from a few days ago, there is no lead in the Artifact coins. No worries.
Joe Hadsall
Ellusionist, Content Developer
blog.ellusionist.com
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." ~Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2011-02-20 05:43, Xiqual wrote:
Maybe YOU will understand that you get lead poisoning from ingestion or inhalation [that means eating it or breathing it] You can handle lead.
The reason it's a problem with children is they always put their toys in their mouth. The paint thing is because kids eat paint chips off the wall. I suppose if you hav some oral fixation with these Artifact coins, lead might be a problem.
James

A lot of customers at Ellusionist are children/teens so yes they might have oral fixations at their stage in development. As it has been made clear here there is no lead in this product so this argument is moot. Good day.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
If there were lead in the coins and you were to eat after without washing your hands it would be a problem. So lead in these would be bad, good thing it's not though! I have seen these coins... Not sure if I like the look but they handle nicely!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I just received an email from Ellusionest about these coins and then tracked them to here.
I hate to sound so harsh but……. YIKES!

You might as well also purchase the Criss Angel Magic Deck (with his picture plastered on every card) if you should purchase these coins (??)! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
54 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
I'm really confused to why they printed "Precision" and "Stealth" on those coins.
Can anyone elaborate on that?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Why not email Ellusionist? Best to get a reply from the source.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
These coins scream of toys...sorry, but I'll pass on these.

M&S
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Hare
I think these stealthy-precision discs are aimed at younger, newcomer teens to magic, and that's fine with me.

I mean, we were all 16 once. At 16, you want to go your own cool, iconoclastic and individual way just like all your peers your age. (wink). If you are involved in a hobby, like magic, you want modern, snappy, current junk....not the 1970s or 1980s junk your magician uncle fiddled with. Can't blame you.

So, I wouldn't be too hard on these glorified gothic-vampire subway tokens. If I was 16 again, maybe I would think they were cool and sensible too.

If they bring youngsters into the magic art, who wouldn't otherwise be interested, they are good things, (sans the lead and radioactive isotopes from China, of course).

And someday, if they stick with it, maybe they will figure out real soft good ol' American silver Morgan dollars hold their value better, are quieter to handle, and are just more appealing looking, and will make the switch, as they get older, and more stuck in their ways, and stricken with Alzheimers.

And then, they will gripe about their own young magician kids using virtual three-dimensional holographic quarters that automatically shoot blue lightning bolts out of President Palin's eyeballs, and they will sigh, and think about the simple olden days of Artifact Coins, when you had to actually use your hands, to perform magic tricks.

As long as I don't have to use the black ops, ninja-star lookin' things, I say, go for 'em if you like 'em, kiddos!
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Not to belabor the point (or, the no point of these coins) if one wished to use some type of gaffed coin, i.e. Slippery Coin, Flipper, Split Coin, Expanded Shell, Steel Core Coin, Magnetic Coin, etc. your screwed as there is no corresponding gaffs to accompany these coins, and there never will be (for obvious reasons).

Then again, if you’re some type of purest who shy’s away from gaffed coins one could only assume that he or she is very talented, has been doing coin magic for many years and wouldn’t touch these, whatever they are, with the proverbial ten foot pole. As for the very young magicians, who, as far as I can ascertain, frequent the Ellusionest more so than the seasoned magician this type of “coin” would be quite expensive when they can just as easily use real coins to practice with, and eventually purchase some corresponding gaffed coins for them. With these "things".......what?

As for the questions of why these “coins” say; “"Precision" and "Stealth" I can’t honestly see what difference it makes. As far as I’m concerned they might as well say; “In God We Trust” or, “Justin Bieber for President” for all that it matters!

Quote:
On 2011-02-17 16:24, MoJoe13 wrote:
….have an eye-catching design that will catch your spectators' eyes.

Exactly, and that’s the problem!

Sorry for the little rant from a 64 year old guy, but I honestly just can’t fathom the reasoning for taking the trouble in producing these.....”coins”? Then again, that’s just my opinion and whatever floats your boat. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
To play Devil's Advocate Smile

Quote:
On 2011-02-25 19:04, gaffed wrote:
Not to belabor the point (or, the no point of these coins) if one wished to use some type of gaffed coin, i.e. Slippery Coin, Flipper, Split Coin, Expanded Shell, Steel Core Coin, Magnetic Coin, etc. your screwed as there is no corresponding gaffs to accompany these coins, and there never will be (for obvious reasons).

Which means they will need to learn real sleight of hand and become more well-rounded magicians. On the other hand, they may develop gaffs from these, depending on how they sell.

Quote:
Then again, if you’re some type of purest who shy’s away from gaffed coins one could only assume that he or she is very talented, has been doing coin magic for many years and wouldn’t touch these, whatever they are, with the proverbial ten foot pole.

That doesn't necessarily follow...!

Quote:
As for the questions of why these “coins” say; “"Precision" and "Stealth" I can’t honestly see what difference it makes. As far as I’m concerned they might as well say; “In God We Trust” or, “Justin Bieber for President” for all that it matters!

Most have been very much against these words. I join you in the "who cares/its not that big a deal"! I think that finishing a coin routine by having the specs take a good close look at the coins, only to find, "Justin Bieber for President" would be absolutely hilarious!

Quote:
On 2011-02-17 16:24, MoJoe13 wrote:
….have an eye-catching design that will catch your spectators' eyes.

Exactly, and that’s the problem!
[/quote]

But lots of others say that one of the advantages of real coins is the look!

Quote:
Sorry for the little rant from a 64 year old guy, but I honestly just can’t fathom the reasoning for taking the trouble in producing these.....”coins”? Then again, that’s just my opinion and whatever floats your boat. Smile

Ellusionist is not dumb. They go against the proverbial magic grain at times, but they know their demographic and market extremely well. I don't think most spectators give a hoot 'n heck what coins are put before them, but we magicians too often think...like magicians. It is an option, and the more, the better, IMHO.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
For all the "constructive" criticism, was there ever a focus group put in front of these coins? Are these Ellusionist coins meant to challenge current coin prop dogma, if there is one? Or is it something else?
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
At least those 7 year old kids would look cooler with these coins! It would definitely compensate their poor coin magic performance in Youtube!
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
So Mojoe, what does the other side say in Latin then. You pointed out your disapointment in me for thinking it was Spanish, Smile but you dodged the real question. (lol)
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1920 Posts

Profile of ted french
I am not a coin magician but I think these look really nice. I think they will be popular with magicians.
P3
practice practice perform.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL