The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
Dan, I haven't got my coins yet as Mummy says I may eat them and that would be bad, as I would get ill and then not be able to spend any more quality time with the magicians who are helping other magicians and this would make me sad...but, a few seconds with an online translator gave me the following:

Veritas Intus: Truthfulness within.

Mundus Vult Decepi: Comes up with half english / half latin gibberish because I think the words can have multiple meanings, but from what I've found on other searches, it stands for 'The world wants to be deceived." or something along those lines.

Overall, why y'all are getting so worked up over some coins is beyond me, but as always...tis' extremely entertaining.

Hope all's well with you and yours fella.

Steph
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
LOL

I didn't know lead was so dangerous. I'm locking up all my pencils from my kids after I finish this post. Smile

Thanks Rabid. I couldn't see all the words from looking at pictures of it. I do appreciate you doing that for me. As I said earlier, the coins look nice, are they beneficial to real coin workers? I don't know that because I'm still waiting to hear from a pro coin magician who will change over to these coins and give a review of them.

I would of bought a few just for the sake of it, but I think $7 is too much to ask for these coins. I'm not cheap, but I do know the value of a hard earned dollar, and without being given any clear explanation as to how these are benefical to those of us who do coin magic, I can only see them as a novelty.

The original advertising for these coins turned me off, as it always does when something is so overhyped. I realize that hype is always needed to make people think they need something, but sometimes E goes a little too far with their hyping. Not always, but they do at times get carried away.

I have always been well taken care of at Ellusionist. The staff are always polite and willing to help. You don't have to wait days for a reply, and they do in my opinion lead the industry in customer service.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Quote:
On 2011-02-27 13:10, Gospel Dan wrote:
I didn't know lead was so dangerous. I'm locking up all my pencils from my kids after I finish this post. Smile

No fear, nowadays pencils are made of graphite and clay - and have been for hundreds of years. As funny as it sounds, pencil lead is not lead at all.

Interestingly, in German, the word for pencil is still Bleistift (lead stick). Similarly, in Finnish, we call still call them lyijykynä (lead pen).

To tie this digression to the current discussion... Pencil lead is not lead and Artifact coins are, in fact, not coins.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Around a week ago someone on facebook tagged a bunch of magicians in his uploaded photos of these coins in which they appeared to have surface bubbles and considerable defects.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Found the link to the pictures of the coins.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=629062&id=819835577
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-13 12:16, Loopback wrote:
Found the link to the pictures of the coins.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=629062&id=819835577

No spec is going to notice any of that - but it's interesting. So did the alleged pitting and bubbling develop after purchase, or did the coins come that way? Genuine, old silver coins often develop pitting, so that's not really an issue as far as I'm concerned, but the bubbling is harder to understand, if indeed it "developed." How can a metal coin develop bubbling? Cosmetically, though, it almost adds character.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
No spec might never notice that, but that's not the point. I won't say much else because I do not know the situation. I wonder if anyone else who purchased these tokens have had the same problem?

Has this fellow contacted E? From my experience dealing with E, they have always treated me very good. I've never received anything free for them as an appreciation of all the money I've spent with them, but their customer service is top notch. Smile

I'm pretty sure that E will take care of him and rectify the situation.
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
I don't understand the allure of these coins, cause if you do any kind of magic with them, I think people will allways think they are gimmicked. I will just stick with real coins.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
To be fair about the tokens and looking like they are gimmicked. From my experience, this is not always the case. Because the coins are not gimmicked, they can be easily given out for examination. Any question about them being gimmicked is completely eliminated. I personally see nothing about them that screams "Gimmick".

I'm not buying any of them for different reasons, but not because they look gimmicked.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Again, not to belabor the subject, but whether they may “say” gaffed/trick coins is not really the point as far as I’m concerned. Why pay $6.00+ for a coin (sorry, it is NOT a coin as one already pointed out) when you can just as easily use regular coins! I can get a quarter for the amazing price of $.25! I can also get a half dollar for a steal at $.50! I think you get my point.

Also, the few times that I do happen to perform any coin magic I normally say, i.e. “I have two silver half dollars here”, etc. and…..that’s what I have! When you bring out these coins just what are you going to say? “I have two…….ah… round metal things here”??? You certainly can’t say I have two coins here as obviously someone is going to say, and or think; “Those are not coins”! “What are they”? Then the obvious question comes into play; why should you have to explain what they are when there is no need to if you simply used REGULAR coins! DUH!! After all, don’t we as magicians, if and when possible, try to use generic and easily recognizable items?
Quote:
On 2011-03-14 11:17, Gospel Dan wrote:
Because the coins are not gimmicked, they can be easily given out for examination. Any question about them being gimmicked is completely eliminated.

So can real coins!!??

As for their advertisement:

Quote:
The Artifact Coins were originated for the coin magician who desires all of the properties, beauty, and antique richness that are found in coins such as the Walking Liberty or the Barber Half dollar, without the heavy price tag associated with original antique coins.

What on God’s green earth, and or how do these “coins” possibly compare to antique coins when they are in fact NOT coins in the first place, nor do they look old! Actually, I think that magicians purchase the antique coins to massage their own ego rather than that of the spectator(s) as the spectator could care less if they are old coins or not as long as they are recognizable as real coins. I’ve seen David Roth perform many miracles with coins, but I’ve never seen him find it necessary to use antique coins albeit he may do so and I’ve missed it. Also, as I pointed out in a previous post, I seriously doubt that these coins will be followed up with corresponding gaffs as in, Flipper Coins, Expanded Half Shells, Steel core coins, magnetic coins, Slippery coins, etc. so just what is the point? But hey, if you wish to spend $6.00+ for a non coin that will draw unneeded attention when you can easily get a Half Dollar for the current sale price of $.50 go for it! Just an old timers opinion and in the whole grand scheme of things doesn’t mean squat. Also, years ago I underestimated the sale of “Pet Rocks” so what the hell do I know! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2991 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-14 20:17, gaffed wrote:
I think that magicians purchase the antique coins to massage their own ego rather than that of the spectator(s)

The old coins are genuinely beautiful and can add interest, IMO. Callow youth has probably never seen them before, while some seniors still remember them in circulation when they were young, so they get a quick flashback to their youth. That's what happened the first time I showed a coin trick to my mother with Walking Liberties - she stared and got a little distant, and said "I forgot how beautiful those were."

I use them for a line, sometimes. I'll say something like, "notice that there are no Presidents on these coins - just Lady Liberty. They're from an earlier time in our nation's history, when we celebrated ideas, rather than men." It's a line, but it's also a sincere observation.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I agree completely with all your points Gaffed. The ad is way over hyped for tokens. I'm curious to know who the mintor was. This would help to distinguish some credability to the over the top hyping.

I've yet to hear any reviews other than the one up above on this thread. I was thinking about at least buying one, just so I can review it, but I'll wait until someone from E answers the questions about the above photo's of the coins that look like they are bubbling.

The biggest thing that turns me off of these tokens is the over blown hype. I hate reading ads that makes claim without naming people. Why not mention the mintor. Seems to me this person is highly proud of their work. I'm sure anyone would want some recognition when they create something they seem to be so proud of.

Of course the other thing is what Gaffed already mentioned. The token itself does not justify the price of $6.00. I have some pretty good Houdini palming coins that I bought as soon as I decided I was going to learn coin sleights. They are light, thin, and can easily be palmed. They are made from tin or something, but the price was fair.

I don't use them anymore. I like using US half dollars. I did play with Canadian coins. For $10 I was able to buy 25 US half dollars. I went with US half dollars because gaffed coins are more widely available in US half dollar coins. I do use Canadian silver dollar coins for more flashy effects, but really like my half dollars.
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
I am sorry but I do not agree with the majority of the people in this thread that states that doing coin magic with real coins is better than using tokens or metal discs.

It is not about what you use as the prop. It is about your s;eight of hand, moves, routine and sequence.

I have a huge collection of DVDs, lecture notes and books in coin magic. I have pretty much all the gaffs that Jaime and Todd Lassen offer and I have learned that the best magic to laymen is with coins that they use every day. When you perfom magic with anything else such as walking liberties or morgans or even half dollars then there are always suspicious that the you are using faked coins. Even if you pass them around for inspection.

However, you can perform with plastic disk and use an advance sequence of moves that will leave your spectator perplexed.

Coin magic is one of the most difficult sleight of hands and the impact does not depends on what type of coin you use. If these tokens are balanced, cut to precision, soft and offer what they say I am sure my fingers and hands would benefit and peform better, faster and secured.

It is not the size or look of the disc, coin or token that you use. It is about how magical you make them dance.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
There is a lot of contradictions in what you just said.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-03-14 23:10, Gospel Dan wrote:
There is a lot of contradictions in what you just said.

There certainly is....numerous times!I was lost completely in that rational??
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I do not think most laypersons will really care what type of coins/tokens etc.... are used. If you make good magic with them... Heck, they are going to believe that they are a) tricked up, or b) that you are using sleight of hand, regardless!

As for introducing the coins/tokens/disks/Artifact coins, it should not be difficult to create any number of interesting possibilities for a spectator.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I never have to explain anything about the coins I use. That's the great thing about using coins people are familiar with. Why pay $6.00 for a token to only have to explain to laypersons all the time about some lame story about the tokens when I can concentrate on my routine and presentation. I don't what to get off track talking about my coins when I'm there to perform magic, not give them some winded story about them.

Buy them and bring them to school for show and tell. Buy them because you think they look cool. But, don't buy them thinking they will improve your skills, or make sleights easier.
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
I got one of these....i like the look and the weight of the coin. I think its not bad for the price.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2991 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-14 21:07, Gospel Dan wrote:
For $10 I was able to buy 25 US half dollars.

Sounds like you made some money on that deal. If you're willing to post the name of your supplier, I'd like to invest $1,000, please.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 03:20, Gospel Dan wrote:
I never have to explain anything about the coins I use. That's the great thing about using coins people are familiar with.

It doesn't have to be an explanation or justification, not at all. Personally, I don't think one needs to say anything. Don't think laypeople will really care. Real coins are great, too.

Quote:
Why pay $6.00 for a token...

No one has to pay for these - the only people who would are the people who may have some specific reason to. And the law does allow post-teenagers to purchase them Smile

Quote:
...to only have to explain to laypersons all the time about some lame story...

The *only* story that can be created around these coins is a lame story? Not true at all. A fascinating story could be weaved around them by a creative mind. I don't think a story is required, but the opportunity is certainly there.

Quote:
I don't what to get off track talking about my coins when I'm there to perform magic, not give them some winded story about them.

Perfectly fine. But weaving a story with a prop does not always equate to going off-track. Again, I don't think a story is necessary, but this prop offers opportunity.

The *only* story possible here is a winded story? Don't get me wrong, one shouldn't do anything with the coins (or whatever) that you one does not wish to do. Are you trying to say these coins aren't your cup of tea? Smile

Quote:
Buy them and bring them to school for show and tell. Buy them because you think they look cool.

Or, buy them because a particular use or opportunity is seen for them.

Quote:
But, don't buy them thinking they will improve your skills.

Has anyone suggested they will do this?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Artifact coins: Now available (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL