The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » The Unfortunate dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
A man and his wife went to church one hot summers day. During the sermon in the back row the man nodded off to sleep.
He had a dream that he was an aristocrat at the time of the Frecnh Revolution and that he was going to be put to death by guillotine. He climbed the scaffold, a priest performed the last rites, and the man placed his head on the block. Just before the executioner pulled the lever the mans wife noticed he was asleep and gave him a big sharp nudge, he was startled and he instantly died of shock.
What's wrong with this tale?
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
586 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
...the spelling of 'french'?!!!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Sermons are usually held at the front of the church, not the back row.

I'm also don't think many French aristocrats were Catholic, especially at the time of the French Revolution, so a priest wouldn't give them last rites. But since that happened in a dream, that's not really a problem.
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
If he died before he woke up, he couldn't tell anyone about the dream.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3138 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Chris Henderson has given the traditional answer to this riddle. I don't know if it is the one intended by the poster.

It really isn't a very good answer. Is it?

There is nothing "wrong" with the story. (Except the details mentioned by others). It is a story. Narrators in stories often are all-knowing.

Either there is a more rigorous phrasing of this riddle that makes the answer work or it is just a poor riddle.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Maybe they didn't give "last rights" to aristocrats during the French Revolution?

Just a guess.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Actually, under Catholic doctrine, "last rites" -- i.e., the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick or, formerly, Extreme Unction -- is only available to the sick. Soldiers on the eve of battle, condemned prisoners, others in imminent danger of death otherwise than through illness, may not receive this sacrament. They can confess their sins (the sacrament of Penance) and they may receive communion (the sacrament of Holy Eucharist), but not the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. So Ed is at least partially correct.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Woo hoo!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
This needs some work...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » The Unfortunate dream (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL