The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bring Out Your Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'm wondering what various presentation ideas people use when bringing out their cup/cups to start their routine? Do you just pull them out of the bag? Do you carry them in a container of some sort, and bring that out and open it up? Or perhaps a magical appearance of the cups somehow?

Most of the routines I've seen involve just pulling the cups out of the bag and setting them on the table. I just thought it would be interesting to explore what other options performers use...this could include opening lines as well. Anything to make it interesting...since I believe that any down time during a performance is lost time, and pulling three large cups out of a bag during a moment of silence seems like an opportunity to create another small bit of entertainment. Any thoughts?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jason Latimer shows an empty cardboard box, then produces his cups from within.

I once went into a hotel bar early and placed a set of cups on the mantle over the fireplace. Then when we "arrived" with our friends, I did a a few card tricks, then said, "let's see what I can do with those cups over there."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I hope you warned the staff not to move the cups!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Never thought of that!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
The presentation/unpacking of my Cups is done while recapping the show cause I want to remind them how much fun they have been having and agree to it. That way when I get to the payoff they are safely in the net.
"First you saw me ______ with ______ that you hadn't seen before and were _______. Then you saw me _______ with ________ you hadn't seen before and were ________. Well now I'm gonna show you something with these Cups that you haven't seen before and you'll be _________."
You know why don't act naive.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That post reminds me of a game that Roger Price invented called "Mad Libs."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
My opening line is, "You've heard the phrase 'the oldest trck in the book', well, this is that trick." Then launch into some Egyptian pseudo-history.

Mark
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Tell me about it. I've been sitting here for six hours trying to work this one. Here's what I've come up with:
"First you saw me twirl with noodles that you hadn't seen before and were flabbergasted. Then you saw me bounce with fervor you hadn't seen before and were orange. Well now I'm gonna show you something with these cups that you haven't seen before and you'll be turkeys."

It's not looking good.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I did the oldest trick bit for a while.
"We've all heard 'em say the oldest trick in the book. "Don't fall for that son, it's the oldest trick in the book." Anyone ever seen that book? No? Well I have and it only has one trick in it, this one."

Quote:
On 2011-02-18 20:04, Andrewzuber wrote:
Tell me about it. I've been sitting here for six hours trying to work this one. Here's what I've come up with:
"First you saw me twirl with noodles that you hadn't seen before and were flabbergasted. Then you saw me bounce with fervor you hadn't seen before and were orange. Well now I'm gonna show you something with these cups that you haven't seen before and you'll be turkeys."

It's not looking good.

You got it all correct except the turkeys part!
You know why don't act naive.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I did this on the radio the other night and two hundred people called in to say they couldn't see how it was done. Bada BOOM
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 20:09, HerbLarry wrote:

You got it all correct except the turkeys part!

Phew! So I didn't TOTALLY waste six hours. Smile

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 8:19pm
Pete - Just to let you know I'm stealing that. Wasn't that Marconi's opening line to his disappearing Ferrari illusion?
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I don't do the cups, but I do a bowl routine using a brass bowl that's got a good patina on it. My presentation revolves around the bowl being the "begging bowl" that belonged to my Guru. When I bring it out of my case, it's wrapped in a piece of faded and frayed cotton fabric with an appropriately colorful Indian print. I then unwrap the fabric and place the bowl face-up on the table as if it's a very previous object.

Which, in one way, it is...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Previous? I bet you meant precious. Smile (read your PM at the Castle bbs).

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 11:27pm
That reminds me. As many of you know, I do a bowl routine with a rubber toilet plunger. The handle, which I use as a wand, is painted gold with an engraved silver tip. I explain this came from Buckingham Palace.... blah blah blah.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That special handle sounds really cool!

BTW, I had a friend make me a really big hollow book, leather bound. I have a special table that holds it at just the right height.

Sometimes when I perform, I take the props out of it and use them.

When I get ready to do the cups, I say, "And now for the oldest trick in the book...really!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Six hours is child's play! This idea opens up a whole new way to avoid practicing for long periods...

"First you saw me cut with Cards that you hadn't seen before and were Card-Sharps.
Then you saw me fool you with Rope you hadn't seen before and were Rope-a-Dopes.
Well now I'm gonna show you something with these Cups that you haven't seen before and you'll be Cup-Cakes"!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
No you have no excuses in the Who Will Stand With Me thread, Jim!

Bill - love it. That's a great line.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My cups runeth over?
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2011-02-18 23:26, Pete Biro wrote:
Previous? I bet you meant precious. Smile (read your PM at the Castle bbs).

LOL...I did indeed.

It's been a loooong workweek. Smile
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Funny - I originally read it as precious. Until Pete pointed that out I missed it completely.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bring Out Your Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL