The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Paul Diamond - Fort Lauderdale (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jcvelbar
View Profile
New user
South Florida
50 Posts

Profile of jcvelbar
I spent many afternoons (and hard earned chore money) at this store in Sears Town. Anyone else do the same?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I remember Paul Diamond as the one where I originally purchased the wonderful Phantom At The Fingertips.

I loved this effect!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
Funny you should ask, I was cleaning out an old trunk and found the receipt from Paul Diamonds for my cups and balls. Back in 1978!

Is It still in operation?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-02-20 21:47, daffydoug wrote:
I remember Paul Diamond as the one where I originally purchased the wonderful Phantom At The Fingertips.

I loved this effect!

Phantom at the Fingertips is the one trick I just listed as the worst effect I ever purchased. You seriously liked that contraption ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Kenardo1
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Kenardo1
Paul retired several years ago and sold his magic to Diamond Magic - a direct mail order house. I do not believe the storefront exists anymore. I first visited the store when I went to visit relatives living in Fort Lauderdale in the late 60s. Paul was very generous with time and very friendly explaining various items. I also remember seeing Duke Stern in the store demonstrating Zombie. It was a great place to visit.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul now sells used magic over the internet.

His It Takes Guts *** It is inspiring!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I think Paul Diamond is wonderful and one of a kind. He could take a Glorpy and Imp Bottle and weave some very funny magic. I remember how genuinely friendly and helpful he was when I met him about twenty years ago at a conference. While much of his magic relied on simplicity and bluff, he was good with sleight of hand as well. That's usually not remembered, I think.

Steve
Wizardwannabe
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Wizardwannabe
Quote:
On 2004-04-30 10:31, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-02-20 21:47, daffydoug wrote:

I loved this effect!

Phantom at the Fingertips is the one trick I just listed as the worst effect I ever purchased. You seriously liked that contraption ?
Rennie

I'm with you, Rennie. I hate to admit it but I to bought this stupid thing (it ran as a full page ad on the back of PD's catalog if I recall right). I remember thinking when I got it "I'm actually supposed to wear this stupid tube around my arms and shoulders so that a coin can "dance" at my right fingertips while my left fingers activate it?" Honest to God - the single worst magic purchase I ever made.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
AH- but did you ever PERFORM IT??!!!

It did what it said it would, and, as hold outs go it was pretty ***ed versatile.

It was a bit of a "contraption" to be certain- and at first glance was daunting, but I would put it in a category with a topit or thumb tip.... Utility item that depends what you do with it.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
To a young, budding, 10 year old magician, a trip to Paul Diamond's shop was better than Disney. He awed me with miracles as if I were royalty. He amazed me. I had no idea "who" he was until older and he kept popping up at magic conventions in the dealer room demonstrating the use of a pull.
tryphon
View Profile
New user
Florida, USA
51 Posts

Profile of tryphon
Quote:
On 2003-08-01 13:31, jcvelbar wrote:
I spent many afternoons (and hard earned chore money) at this store in Sears Town. Anyone else do the same?

I remember it well! There was also a magic shop in the mall in Pompano Beach. I live in West Palm Beach and I don't think there are any B&M shops south of Daytona! Too bad, an era has gone forever!
Pasquale
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Pasquale
I too visited the little shop in Searstown (and purchased Phantom at the fingertips but like everyone else, never did anything with it..). Each year on vacation, I dragged my parents there. Paul always remembered me and was very nice to me. Years later I saw him in the dealers room at a convention demonstrating the multiplying bananas(foam). Calling out his sales pitch so everyone could hear; "IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOU'RE A SHMUCK!"
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Paul and wife Andi are still alive and living in south Florida. Paul still sends out an email magic list to subscribers. Duke Stern was my mentor, and my new 2012 lecture will feature one of Duke's coin routines. Phantom at the Fingertips used an apparatus similar to the device used to apply the hand brakes on a bicycle. It was invented by my dear departed friend Russ Burns. Although cumbersome and impractical for many performing situations, it was prominently featured performed by Bill Bixby on an episode of The Magician way back.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Mostly about monster masks, but Paul does give an interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Hw_6KF1o8

I purchased the Phantom Finger also, Paul most I sold a million of those.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
The one and only magic convention I ever attended, 1985 Daytona Beach Florida- stumbled into a lecture Paul was giving. Only thing I remember is he was showing how to toss 2 cards onto a table as one.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2012, DanGarrett wrote:
Paul and wife Andi are still alive and living in south Florida. Paul still sends out an email magic list to subscribers. Duke Stern was my mentor, and my new 2012 lecture will feature one of Duke's coin routines. Phantom at the Fingertips used an apparatus similar to the device used to apply the hand brakes on a bicycle. It was invented by my dear departed friend Russ Burns. Although cumbersome and impractical for many performing situations, it was prominently featured performed by Bill Bixby on an episode of The Magician way back.

Ahhhhhhhh! Such memories, such memories!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Ruckersville, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
I'm downsizing for retirement and came across a couple of Paul Diamond catalogs not too long ago (along with a number of other catalogs)...I don't recall if I ever ordered from Paul...so long ago...but simpler times for sure. I do like looking through the old catalogs...brings back some great memories.
Tom
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On May 10, 2018, GlennLawrence wrote:
The one and only magic convention I ever attended, 1985 Daytona Beach Florida- stumbled into a lecture Paul was giving. Only thing I remember is he was showing how to toss 2 cards onto a table as one.

Not only could he toss 2 as one, he also could could toss 4 as two. While demonstrating the 2 as one, he would say the cards never separated and that he never missed while tossing them out. Then he would toss one last time and the cards would separate. When some wiseguy in the crowd would chuckle at his "miss" Paul would call him out, walk over to the "two" cards and separate them to show that it was actually two doubles!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Paul Diamond - Fort Lauderdale (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL