The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8745 Posts

Profile of harris
It took me months when I first learned the method back in 75 or 76.(in a John Cornelius lecture)
These days I can teach the basics to someone (face to face) fairly quickly. Then they have to go for height and accuracy.

Yes it can be done with a nickle sized USA coin. Not sure about an aspirin...(yet)

As many of you known it was written up in a Buckley book as a hidden move...with oh so many applications.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Radmak
View Profile
Loyal user
Aberdeen, UK
272 Posts

Profile of Radmak
I haven't read the whole topic but if nobody mentioned it before me - try practicing on a poker chip first. It's made of plastic, the edges are polished (it won't hurt after a while of practice), it's lighter than metal coins and it will make you get used to the move Smile Just a thought Smile

R.
UK Close-up and cabaret magician based in Scotland - www.radekmakar.co.uk
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
372 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Haha, Radek - I was about to say the exact same thing Smile I started practicing with a poker chip, too, and wit works really well. Later on I jumped to big metal coin and then to dollar sized coins.

I usually only ever use the move as a flourish in my coin routine and let everyone see it - this probably is since I never really spend much time doing coin magic. Besides - it just looks too cool to do it under cover, I manage to get it very high by now.

Goodluck!

Timon.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
Don't overdo the practice - lots of five minutes rather than an hour straight, otherwise expect some serious pain!
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Patience, Grasshopper.
Wes
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
372 Posts

Profile of TimonK
I second what TheStoner said - I overdid it and experienced some very serious pain ;D.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
labound
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of labound
Quote:
On 2011-05-28 01:37, TimonK wrote:
I second what TheStoner said - I overdid it and experienced some very serious pain ;D.

Make it a 3rd... From the moment I first saw it performed, by Johnny Ace Palmer at the Magic Castle, I couldn't wait to learn it. Unfortunately, my mentor at the time worned me against it (it was '93 and had just started studying magic a few months prior). Quite frankly I had given up on learning it until a few years ago when I saw the Jay N muscle pass video on the penguin website. To make a long story short - I purchased it - 30 days later morgans were jumping close to 12' off my hand. The bad news is a can't get a couple of them out of my couch...

I started out using a poker chip. When one hand got tired, I switched. Measure success in baby steps. First find the right spot in your palm and work at just getting the chip to flip over. Your plam will get stronger and the skin will thicken.

Before I forget, if I remember correctly, I think Reed McClintock briefly discusses the muscle pass in his video on palming (look for it at Magic Bakery). I could be wrong, but regardless, his video on classic palming is also helpful (and comes with a wooden tuit that is really good to use for learning).
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
I had to drill a 3 inch hole in my couch on the bottom of that box the armrest is made from to retrieve my 2 Morgans due to that same reason. Now I tilt the couch up and and can get them fairly easily. You remove the bottom liners staples and then drill the hole where you can put you hand inside. sometimes my Morgans get stuck between the slats of wood used as shims inside when tilting it towards the back where I drilled the hole. You can buy circle cutting bits real cheap for under $5US. Seems like a pain, but it's worth the work IMO.
labound
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of labound
LOL - not happening - spent over $2k on the couch, so the wife would probably shoot me if I tried. When I lost the 1st one and tried getting it out, she threatened to pull out the video cam and post it on youtube. When I lost the 2nd one, she commented that if I got better at it I would stop loosing them. I accepted my losses & got better. Perhaps a bit smarter too... I place a small blanket overlaps the last cushion and arm rest!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Oh, that's sad. My butt would have been on YouTube!

Jim
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I've finally got this to a performable level.

With the help from Jay's Muscle Pass DVD and David Kong's.

Jay's MP - Had great tips for learning the muscle pass.

DK's MP - Great! Great effects to use with the muscle pass. Stenberg penetration passes the gf test.
Seraffis
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Seraffis
It will indeed eventually click with you.

Muscle passing takes a lot of practice but you should begin to see the basic results of it in a week or two. A larger coin is an absolute must, and if you can find one that is both large and light to boot you'll be golden (I first learned with an old Irish pound coin with a stag on it... no longer in circulation).

If you aren't getting red and sore calluses on the hand that you are practicing with then you aren't doing it properly. This takes quite a bit of force and rubbing in the initial stages while you both strengthen the muscle and teach yourself the muscle memory required to do this.
The first thing you will notice is redness forming when you have the coin in a death grip trying to make it "pop" up. Next you will find that, while still using a death grip, the coin lazily flops out of your grip (it might even pop once in a while).
The next stage is noticing the coin pop out of your grip but simply flip over 180 degrees.
Have hope at this stage, because after a few more rounds of practice you will start noticing the coin getting tiny bit of air.
Once you've accomplished this, it is only a matter of time before the coin is snapping upwards like you want it to.

And finally over time those calluses and muscle pain will disappear and you'll realize you don't need to grip as hard as you used to in order to make the coin fly.

To make one point clear though: It is going to take practice and the skin of your hand will hurt. My friends who were initially failing at this move was were being deceived by how easy it looks once you are accomplished at it. They incorrectly thought that practicing with the force required to hurt your hands meant they were learning bad technique.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 14:12, Seraffis wrote:

To make one point clear though: It is going to take practice and the skin of your hand will hurt. My friends who were initially failing at this move was were being deceived by how easy it looks once you are accomplished at it. They incorrectly thought that practicing with the force required to hurt your hands meant they were learning bad technique.

Seraffis makes a good point here. It is very important that you do not learn bad technique, and that goes for anything you do in magic. A bad habit is hard to break once you have been doing it for a while.

Also, if you have a weak CP, practicing the muscle pass until you can perform/use it will help build the muscles that are used for in the execution of the CP as well.

Good advice everyone!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I started practicing the muscle pass around 6/26

Here are my before and after photos.

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4495 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I'm still practicing, and now I am working on routines working around the MP. I love it!

Stenberg penetration is such a gem.
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
I like the muscle pass, and I use it ocassionally in my routines - not to shoot a coin a foot or so up into the other hand ala "The coin that falls up." For me, its most effective when used secretly; for example, when producing a silver dollar from nothing after showing both hands empty using a muscle pass pitch (see the DVD, Covert Coins, Charlies Justice) as a kind of change over palm. There are other secret uses as well, i.e shooting (no pun) a coin into the opposite s&**^% or doing a coin penetration. For this I am pitching the coin laterally and in some instances only an inch or two or three. No big deal.

For me, this is the real value of this clever sleight. And for this use, there is no need to incur blisters and strengthen muscles and build up callouses and engage in endless practice. All necessary though I guess if you like to style a bit with the specs.

I look for new ways to employ the Muscle Pass secretly but have had little luck. I am therefore disappointed in most of the DVDs on the subject to date.

Just another view on the Muscle Pass.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
I have a pretty mediocre muscle pass when I do it with aisle dollar. Maybe I get a 4 inch hop at best. Still this is good enough that if shoot the coin horizontal it goes pretty well.

I've recently been using some "feng shui" coins that I got off of eBay, and they work pretty spectacularly. Coin jumps a least a foot. My presentation is " this coins come from China, on the other side of the world... now gravity works differently there, so in this hemisphere, the coins fall up.... These coins are super thin, and very light. Highly recommended...
-Rob
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
Henderson, NV
95 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I do muscle pass for the visual flourish of a coin "falling up". You can also present it as a "rewind".

When I was learning it, I super glued 3 or 4 half dollars together to practice.

Per Shoot Ogawa, there are actually 3 levels of the muscle pass.

1. Being able to do it with aid of your second hand.
2. Being able to do it with the aid of your fingers with a single hand.
3. Being able to do it with one hand without the use of fingers to set up.

I can consistenly do #2, sometimes #3.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1463 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Eric Chien showed me some nice work with it a while back. But I want to mention something Sol Stone told me about its use as a secret move...some magicians can get away with quick moves, it fits their personalities and styles. Other magicians need to work slow and deliberate, with different sleights, because of their personalities. If one from this group tries to use a quick move...it doesn't work, not because they haven't practiced enough, but because it doesn't fit their temperament. Sol was one of the leading coin men at one time but he was also a psychologist.
_Alex_
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of _Alex_
Using a bigger coin like a silver dollar will make the muscle pass a lot easier. It's really something you just continually do and you get better and better at it. Press, shoot, repeat. I love the muscle pass. The coin defying gravity is very magical. My favorite application is how Kainoa Harbottle uses it. He catches it at the fingertips which opens the door for some very interesting applications.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle Pass (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL