We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Setting up to take debit/credit cards thru your phone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Just found a shopping cart app that has a free lite version and includes a mobile version.
It integrates with PayPal and lots of other checkout methods.
Going to check into it further - it might be my solution.
http://www.ecwid.com/

Ed
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I also have been using square and had merchant account before. Was able to cancel merchant account. Love square and their customer support!
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
Does anyone know something else to be used internatinoally? I'd like to use it in turkey.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Who is the best to use for taking credit cards over the phone? ( for shows, deposits, etc.)
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I believe Square will let you manually enter a credit card number, but they do charge a bit more. I know PayPal lets you enter numbers at no additional fee.

Ed
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3899 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Okay. I don't know Square...but I DO know PayPal.

I've had clients wire the amounts directly into my account prior to a show: no muss, fuss or bother. They know PayPal. They get coverage in case there's a problem, they even get air miles if they use the right card. They can use any of the big three cards or their debit card. And the transfer is fast. I get instant updates once they've paid...and for this I pay a small percentage. What's not to like?

I shudder at having to explain a new system to clients.

Nope. Read all this stuff over...but I'll be sticking with PayPal......not that anyone actually ASKED....ummm...y'know.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Paypal won't let you enter a number without having a virtual terminal which has a monthly fee

You can however send bills through paypal, request payments and so on at no additional fee

I use both..
Paypal for prepayment and Squareup for At the Gig payment

Square you want have to explain as You run the card in front of them and they use their finger to sign and then you enter the email to send them a receipt
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 21:09, MikeClay wrote:
Paypal won't let you enter a number without having a virtual terminal which has a monthly fee

Wow!! I thought I had it set up to allow a user without an account to enter their card number to make a payment. I'll have to check on that.

Ed
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Okay - just checked my payment page.
Two options:
-- sign into your Paypal account
-- pay as a Guest, which does allow you to enter card info manually.

*whew!*
Ed
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
With Square you can indeed enter a credit card number manually. You do not to need to swipe. You'll pay a bit more the increased risk.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1060 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Paypal and square are totally different.

I use square when I'm in person and selling merchandise after the show.
If they buy online after the show... it's paypal.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Dazzling Derek
View Profile
New user
Fall River, MA
11 Posts

Profile of Dazzling Derek
I use square and papal. I want to offer my clients every available option to pay me at their convenience. The square app on my phone (Tmobile Garmanfone) allows me to accept credit cards punched in or with the free card reader. Its great when at a clients home! The charges are minimal and the $ is sent to my acct the next day. I also use paypal for deposits and prepayments.
RPAYNE40S
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of RPAYNE40S
Any phone?
under6
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of under6
Quote:
On 2011-03-21 18:53, Comedy Writer wrote:
Who is the best to use for taking credit cards over the phone? ( for shows, deposits, etc.)

Just another option that I use & haven't seen mentioned is ProPay. I use PayPal for website sales & needed an inexpensive way to process sales on-site/over phone. Figuring that people in the craft industry would have similar needs, I did a little research & found through the chats that they recommend Propay. It has an annual fee of only $30(approx)for the entire year, and as I recall the transaction fees were similar to PayPal. The plan that I have allows a maximum of $3000 per month in sales. At the time I signed up, ProPay gave a free upgrade to etsy.com members, so I signed up to etsy (for free of course). I bought a $20 knuckle buster from a company on ebay, and was set to take credit cards. It is worth checking out if you are on a budget. I am thinking about Square now myself - it sounds so convenient.
By the way, etsy.com is a great site for anything handmade - costumes, graphic design, etc. Members will bid on work you need done.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1060 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
A feature story about my experience with square:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/square/fat......63304646

performbettershows.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tim;

I clicked on the link and got this message;

"This content is currently unavailable.

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page."
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Tim,
I can't see it either. How about just sharing it here.

Kevin
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1060 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Ok, I can view the story but maybe that's because I'm logged into Facebook. Not sure. I was interviewed by Square for their Facebook fan page.
If you can see the story at the link, there are photos as well.

Father's Day
by Square on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 8:26pm
“I think it’s pretty funny that my kids think I have a normal job.”

Tim Hannig never had a “normal” job. At 17, he began his career at Six Flags Great America as a contracted performer before putting on variety shows as a college sophomore. After graduation, he had a short stint at a desk job but quickly realized he couldn’t stay away from performing. A year later he left his job and began the Pro-Kids Show.

P-R-O in Pro-Kids Show stands for “people respecting others.” The 40-minute show is full of music, magic, stories and comedy, all of which emphasize the importance of respect, responsibility, trustworthiness and other character building qualities. Tim performs in front of hundreds of people every week where he hopes to “encourage kids and parents to make good choices that reflect positive character and qualities.”

As a father of five, Tim’s children have an influence on his performance. “My show is an extension of who I am, so being a dad influences my creativity and even the content of my show,” said Tim. At times his whole family even hits the road with him for a mini-tour. In a span of a week, he could be performing at a school assembly, be an opening act for a councert, and be doing a show for a church or corporate event – all of which his kids view as the norm!

After each performance, Tim sells magic sets, books and DVDs relating to his show. This part of the night is one of Tim’s favorites because it turns into a meet-and-greet as audience members purchase souvenirs. To collect payments for his merchandise, he uses Square. He’s amazed by how quickly he can ring up a sale with Square Register and how fast the transactions process. It’s important for each transaction to be fast because by the end of the show parents want to get their kids home to bed. Square also allows him to take credit card payments where ever he’s performing. Whether he’s in Texas, Indiana or a small elementary school in Illinois, he’s ready to take credit cards.

Today on Father’s Day we want to highlight Tim and his positive influence on the people around him. When asked what Father’s Day means to him, he answered:

“Father's Day reminds me not only how blessed I am, but also what great responsibility I have. Not only to provide for them, but also to practice what I preach. You can't hide your flaws from your kids! Since I'm out there doing a show that teaches hundreds of thousands of kids about character, I better live it out at home too!”

Well said, Tim. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!

Check out a snippet of the Pro-Kids Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=squOvtbRmDQ (http://www.pkshow.com/ http://www.showmethefun.com/)

performbettershows.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Setting up to take debit/credit cards thru your phone (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL