The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What is you favorite sucker trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Turn the "sucker" trick around. Be the "sucker" in your show once in a while. Eliminate the "us" verses "them" theme. Let the joke be on you. Then, and only then, "sucker" the kids. Since you too have shared your vulnerability, the kids won't hate you and your "better than them" attitude. As Lance Burton said in the last of his 4 articles in Magic magazine, they gotta like you, before they love you.

:magicrabbit:
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Quote:
On 2004-03-14 00:17, glodmagic wrote:
Acrobatic fish is a good one
"you just turned it around"

I too act shocked when all three fish appear.

yup, that's my favorite one too. A tie goes to the vanishing ketchup bottle. Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 18:33, pradell wrote:
Turn the "sucker" trick around. Be the "sucker" in your show once in a while. Eliminate the "us" verses "them" theme. Let the joke be on you. Then, and only then, "sucker" the kids. Since you too have shared your vulnerability, the kids won't hate you and your "better than them" attitude. As Lance Burton said in the last of his 4 articles in Magic magazine, they gotta like you, before they love you.

:magicrabbit:

Very true.
Gary Fabjance
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Gary Fabjance
Currently, the one "sucker" effect I perform is Abbott's Twin Di die box. (Gets the adults while fooling the children.)

I used to perform Hippity Hop Rabbits and am thinking about adding them back in the act. (This one also, surprisingly, gets the adults while fooling the children.)

I also used to always perform the Silk to Egg. It always got good reactions but I got tired of the mess.
vincentmagic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of vincentmagic
Quote:
On 2003-11-29 19:50, mattg wrote:
What exactly is a sucker trick?

A Sucker Trick is a magic effect in which you steer the audience into thinking that they know hot the trick is done but the ending is something different or unexpected.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Egg Bag and Chinese Sticks can both have sucker elements in them. Half-dyed hank has a sucker element, in an understated way.
funnyclown
View Profile
Elite user
Burlingame, CA
406 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
My absolute favorite sucker trick is Norm Niesons Vanishing Ketchup bottle.
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
vincentmagic
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of vincentmagic
Quote:
On 2004-03-13 23:03, Bob T. wrote:
My favorite is the Dye Box. Always gets a suprised look from the adults.

My favourite is the Man in the Moon.
It is like the sucker die box where the moon goes back and forth.
Spotty is my classic routine too. The key is to act as suprised as the children.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
My favorite is Haunted House by Derek Rutt, it's similar to run rabbit run, but It comes with better gimmicks and ending.

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
I have been having an absolute blast with the "Jumping Silk" routine, the one with the three glasses glued to a tray, and the silk unexpectedly jumps into the middle cup. It's one of those routines where the joke appears to be on me -- not them. They go WILD. So simple and so silly, yet so much fun.
southernsorcerer
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of southernsorcerer
Quite a lot of my magic for children has a sucker element but I am always the sucker and the child is the hero. I find a get a much better response this way. At the end of a trick I want the children to be clapping, cheering or laughing rather than that feeling that they have been tricked by the magician.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My favorite is acrobatic silks improved by FAB magic. It is a trick that makes the magician look silly, and has a surprise ending. Of course it is just a pole with three silks on it, but performed with the right routine, and in the hands of a silly old magician it kills.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
Ive always had great success with my Babbcock cube box. Works similar to a die box but different.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-02-27 15:37, Al Angello wrote:
My favorite is acrobatic silks improved by FAB magic. It is a trick that makes the magician look silly, and has a surprise ending. Of course it is just a pole with three silks on it, but performed with the right routine, and in the hands of a silly old magician it kills.

I own one from FAB and it's going into a couple of my new shows. It works really well, putting the ones from other manufacturers to shame.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Revitalizing this thread, mine used to be any old die box.

But Smoky Mountain Pizza Box has taken its place. It's fun for everyone. The best.

Still looking for a better version of Acrobatic Silks than even the FAB version. In my opinion and without further discussion, the gimmicks should be larger than the other. But mine's a couple of years old and maybe they fixed that. PM me if you want or have more info on the effect.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Vanishing ketchup bottle in paper bag for me.
I build it up and wala gone.
Todd
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have gotten the most mileage out the die box, but at times I have most fun performing the 'pouring water from newspaper" as a sucker trick.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Depending on the sucker trick, I will typically not use a single volunteer, but have the entire audience be the ones that get fooled. If you play it properly its just fun for the entire audience to be wrong, but for one kid to be wrong in most instances that's just a bad idea. I always try to be very sensitive to how a kid might react.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The maximum amount of sucker tricks I use in my shows have been three. I have a fast pace using a lot of effects in my one hour show. If the magician uses a few tricks, I can understand more than one sucker trick is too many.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3500 Posts

Profile of Julie
As someone else mentioned much earlier, the venerable
Fraidy Kat Rabbit is delightful.

It's a little more baffling than the Hippity Hop Rabbits and other "sucker" tricks designed chiefly for kids. This one will really fool most adults, too.

From a practical standpoint: It takes about one second to set-up or pack; it packs flat, yet looks large; it's relatively unknown to your audiences because not many performers are exhibiting this one these days; and it can be performed relatively close-up or just as effectively in a standard show at ground level or on a stage or platform.

I would suggest checking Gene Gordon's routine as a starting point for developing your own routine.

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What is you favorite sucker trick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL