The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Way too many DVD's, books. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
There seems to be a lot of magic DVD's and books out there. Which is good since its nice to learn these effects that others in the craft have generously put out there for us to enjoy. But I predict in the future that a lot of this stuff will be given away cause there is sooo much out there. A lot of it will donated to librarys which everyone can get there hands on.

I'll use an example as being a Dj years ago: Back in the 1990's they were making tons and tons of hip hop records. That music was VERY popular at that time. And the record shops were over saturated with these LP's. A few years later they couldn't give them away.

I see this same trend happening in the magic community. People out and about even said they looked up magic on the internet and were bombarded with magic ads to sell products. A lot of them said they were disenchanted to find out all they to do was buy products to become a magician. I wonder if that show "Hoarders" will have a magician's special. Or someone will write how to make a stack of Tarbells appear or disappear. Or make a pile of TT's appear from a dove pan.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
You don't have to wait as there are already "Hoarders" of magic in exsistance. There won't however by a show about them as they keep thing very neat and tidy on hard drives collecting ebooks, scans of books, videos, and dvds. In the future I see magic auctions that auction off drives with so much material that the retail cost would be in the thousands. When this happens the works won't be worth anything anymore. It will be a sad day indeed. Smile
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
I'm guilty of having a huge collection myself. Now I just pick up a few items a year. Its nice to be "saturated" in your hobbies. But over a time you realized you havent read a lot that you own. I had that search for that "perfect" miracle for years that others have. Every once in awhile you do stumble across that miracle that fits perfectly for you. that's how I came across Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind Book. Also Docc Hilford's system 88. If I would of quit searching for the perfect Gems I would of missed out on these. Some of the pieces in these materials I use every time I leave the house. "A thing of Terrifying Beauty!"

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 5:22pm
--------------------------------
Haha. In reality I don't see a lot of magicians parting or getting rid of their material. It will be some deceased magicians wife screaming at the top of her lungs, "I don't care what you do with it, just get it out of the house!" A lot of us know what its like to live with a woman. They smile and do a sort of "happy dance" when we decide to get rid of our "junk." that's why our stuff is only in the garage, closet, basement. that's why we visit these places often. Haha we have stuff we could display in the living room; but were not allowed to. Our stuff to display is in boxes. But its alright we live with it and enjoy it cause we love our significant others.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-02-24 17:04, kasper wrote:
"A thing of Terrifying Beauty!"

OK Max, but the problem with collecting, is that no work gets the attention it deserves. Example, the Jinx has many a gem that are used by today's top professionals, Docc Hilford included. However how many have simple skimmed the tome thinking that it was just an expanded practical mental effects? My point is, for a work to have value or full value, it must be studied in depth for fear of loosing those "hidden gems" often overlooked.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
kal
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of kal
The Jink is a absolute goldmine. If you go into it with a good knowledge of the craft, and your own style and persona, you will get about one trick to add to your repertoire every two issues, and EVERY issue gives you an idea or something you'd love to try. Can't recommend it enough.

As for collecting it's a quirk or humans rather and not exclusive to magic. In the early nineties it was comic books after that toy companies realised children had the same obsessions (well they knew for years) so trade stickers and cards and pogs and dolls and endless wave of new pokemon-esque collections sprouted.

I doubt however the over-collecting will lead to over-donating. The other thing about people in general is that if they own something they tend to value it far more than other people do. So giving it away is generally a big issue, even selling can be difficult.
I guess just try and work your way into as many wills as you can.
I'm always honest about when I'm lying. And I'm always lying...
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I think part of the problem is the sad death of many a brick and morter store.

"Could it Be Magic" in the Del Amo Mall in Torrance California had a decent run in the mid 1970's, I learned some rather 'basic' effcects, Scotch and Soda, color changing knives etc. There were books, I bought the Mark Wilson Course in Magic from there to. A trip to Hollywod would take me to two magic stores, one of which was Hollywood Magic Store/Shop. (I'm not even sure if it's still in business, it's been over three years since I've been down that neck of the woods.)

What I loved about the Hollywood store in particular was the way that they were willing to do a demo of some of the effects. They had a display case in the rear of the store which housed all kinds of mentalist goodies, including, as recent as my 2008 visit, a rather nice Lee Earle clip board that hasn't been generally available for years. They also had, and this is my main point, a rather nice collection of books, pamphlets and lecture notes.

We live in a society of "Instant Grafitication" which, sad to say, can make the Brick and Morter shop seem rather quaint and old fashioned. Why by Tarbell,or Corinda, when you can either see it on YouTube, or get the DVD?

Of course the unasked question might be this: "I've got some DVD's and books that I really have no use for any more, along with some props, what do I do with them?"

I think we need to be careful of what we purchase, otherwise we run the risk of GIGO.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Way too many DVD's, books. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL