The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Premises/themes for the presentation of the CnB (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I'm trying to move away from the descriptive patter for the presentation of the CnB (I take this ball, put it in my hand and it vanishes.. blah blah...)

I highly doubt I'm the only one that have thought about this and guess this may have been covered before, I have tried searching the Café but there doesn't seem to be much on the topic..

What I'm trying to go for is something like Suzanne's presentation CnB at the Magic Castle, Kent Gunn's "Fun Shop", and Ricky Jay's History lesson, which a story/theme to package the presentation. I've also read somewhere on the Café (Although I can't seem to find the thread now) that the CnB was used to illustrate inventory management.

What other stories/premises can be used for the presentation of the cups and balls? 3 little Pigs? 3 wise men?

Thanks in advance.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Bill Malone's Routine is good for inspiration (or at least the routine he does. I believe someone else created it, but I could be wrong).

Spiritual Applications for Tarbell 1 has an attempt at a Gospel presentation.

David Regal's routine on the Cups and Balls and Cups and Balls tells a story.

I have used in the past something based on the 3 little pigs.

I am sure there are many more.

RevJohn
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is Rafael Benatar's routine that he calls the e-mail cups and balls routine.

The Rub-A-Dub routine is not Bill Malone's. It's Jim Bateman's.

I published one in MUM, called The Cups and Balls Done by Death -- just the premise.

Punx published a routine that was about how Bartolomeo Bosco survived the Crimean War by playing dead and picking the pockets of the Russian soldier that searched his body.

Johnny Thompson does a wonderful routine where he impersonates several classic cups and balls performers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 02:59, Bill Palmer wrote:

I published one in MUM, called The Cups and Balls Done by Death -- just the premise.

Mr Palmer,

This sounds like an interesting premise. As I am in Malaysia and veyr unlikely that I'll find a copy of MUM here.
Is it possible for you to share this with me?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It wasn't a complete routine, by any means, just a presentational idea.

I'll see if I can find the original digital copy.

I don't even remember when it appeared in MUM
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 02:59, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is Rafael Benatar's routine that he calls the e-mail cups and balls routine.

The Rub-A-Dub routine is not Bill Malone's. It's Jim Bateman's.

Punx published a routine that was about how Bartolomeo Bosco survived the Crimean War by playing dead and picking the pockets of the Russian soldier that searched his body.

Johnny Thompson does a wonderful routine where he impersonates several classic cups and balls performers.

Hi Bill,

Is the Punx routine in English?

with thanks,
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I did a summary of it somewhere a while back. I'll see if I can find it. It was very non-specific.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Judging from the replies, I guess most are still performing to the patter of "now what I am gonna do is take this ball and put it in my left hand...."
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
R. Shane has a cups routine with an interesting story about the assassination of a pharaoh. It's called "The Sting", and it has a clever story with a surprise final load. You can find it on Lybrary.com
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Mine starts off with the moves and then goes into a story where I was performing once and was heckled by a spectator - my inebriated grandmother. That's where it starts to get weird.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dai Vernon and Fred Kaps used descriptive talk (I hate the word "patter") and it was just fine. It depends on your style and how you say it.

For an example of descriptive talk, with asides, go to http://www.petebiro.com and click on pete on tv, and scroll down to Vernon Cups and Balls. The "asides" comments are what make the routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-02-26 10:56, conjurormatt wrote:
R. Shane has a cups routine with an interesting story about the assassination of a pharaoh. It's called "The Sting", and it has a clever story with a surprise final load. You can find it on Lybrary.com

One can use the basic idea behind "Sting" and come up with some cool things too.
You know why don't act naive.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Agreed!
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Premises/themes for the presentation of the CnB (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL