The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Sorry To ask, but I couldn't find a straight up answer. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer.

Ok, for those of you that have made up your own Svengali Decks by hand e.g sorting cutting (guillotine) and repacking. How long has this what I imagine to be monotonous task taken you. Lets say to make up 54 decks.

If your wondering why I'm asking, Lets just say I need them urgently and my suppliers could take up to 2 weeks to get them across to me. (And I need them within 5 Days) Oh and I'm based in the UK, so if anyone knows of cost effective available stock, then please let me know.

Many Thanks
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Svengali decks only have 48 cards total,key and regular,24 of each.This is so it comes out even.I could make up 48 decks in about an hour once I went and had them cut.

1- Get 48 decks and lay them out on a table ace though king in rows,hearts,clubs,diamonds,spades. So now you will have 4 rows with 48 ace of hearts,48 2 of hearts ect.all the way to 48 king of spades.

2- take away one pile from each suite.You can make up 3 card monte with these as a kicker.

3-Take half the cards of each suite to be cut.I always take every other card pile of each suite.ace of hearts,3 of hearts,5 of hearts etc.Note you DON'T have to round the cornors of the ones you have cut.

4- Take one card off each pile of each of the cards you didn't take to have cut,2 of hearts,4 of hearts,6 of hearts etc.Than shuffle so they aren't in order and put a rubber band around each pile.The rubber band will help so much once you start to put them back together.These will be your regular cards for each deck.

5- Assemble the cut cards with the pile of regular cards and you're in business.

Hope this helped

Don
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Don , this has really helped (I have noticed you are very helpful with your information, Unlike some people I have come across, LOL)

I will probably go with what you have suggested, Guess I'll have to find a local printer that can do the job for me, as I was actually considering doing the cutting myself with a home paper trimmer. (One card at a time, but that doesn't sound fun to me)

Thanks Again
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Its really cheap to have a printer to do all the cutting,$3.00 to $5.00 here.They will get all the cards cut exact and save you a LOT of time.

Be sure to take one cut card so the printer knows how much to cut off.

Don
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I'll phone around first thing Monday and see how much it will cost around. I'm hoping it will be reasonable like where you are.

Either way, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I don't know if this is desirable, cheaper or faster, but just to throw it out there, you can get a real, used old Guillotine cutter for $100 or so, large heavy table model. Since you are cutting a small area, you could buy one with a chipped blade, etc., that others wouldn't want.

With a large cutter like this, you can slice a full deck at a time, or even 12 decks at a time if you line them up...they're made to cut reams of paper with one pull of the handle. Mine has a screw-down that secures the paper so it doesn't shift, then the blade that slices thru.

To find one of these, ask your local printer for one of his industry used-stuff catalogs. There are several in print.

My cutter has a damaged safety, so it's not legal...not dangerous, just not legal. But it does a great job on anything.

For smaller quantities, the suggestions for having your printer do it on his machines for a couple of bucks is great advice. Quick and easy.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Tom

I recently just got a local printer to do an initial batch for me and they came out quite nicely. Having said that, going forward I may look into your advice about just picking up a used Guillotine as in the long run it would be a wise investment.

Many Thanks
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1727 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Does anybody put their decks together with a Faro shuffle ?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I did for a while but the decks are cheap cards and don't faro to good.Just hold the deck in your left hand the the key cards at top and the differents cards at bottom and with the right hand take a card from top and bottom at the same time and put them together on a table.Keep doing this till you are out of cards.Its fast and easy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Sorry To ask, but I couldn't find a straight up answer. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL