The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Funtime Inc. Embossed Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Now I know I'm a nerd - I laughed at that comment, Bri.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
That's nothing, I found out that if I clamp a bunch of 50p's in a vice and file them perfectly round, I can put them in fruit machines that take 10p's....
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
We have fruit machines in England?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My Fun Time cups have slightly dished bottoms.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
There's a set of these on the auction site right now for $30 if anyone is interested in adding a set to their collection.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
995 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I just took a look and it seems there are two sizes, one small and one large. The smaller ones are the cheaper ones. $59.99 at least on the site I saw them on.

Wasn't sure which size ones you have.

PS. I just checked my Monti cups and these small ones only seem to be different in that the height is only a 1/4" higher. I may take a crack at them.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
430 Posts

Profile of ekins
I saw the large and small sets too. lint was talking about another auction. Sorry, but I beat you to it. Smile

-Brian
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
995 Posts

Good luck to you. Wish I knew what site he was talking about. Anyhoo,,,I picked up the set of small ones. Got them a bit cheaper due to the Aussie $$ now being worth more than a greenback.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I have noticed the bigger cups show up every few months at the $30 price tag. Just keep an eye out.
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
That sucks I bought a setr of these from my local store for over 100 dollers
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That was the retail price of the boxed set with the wand. Your dealer paid a lot more for them than the guy who is selling them on eBay.

BTW, this shows you the value of being able to research things on the Magic Café, the Cups and Balls museum and Cups Con.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Frankly, I think the reason they're going so high at the moment is because of the attention this thread has given them.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
995 Posts

I got my set of embossed cups (smaller size) today in the mail. I'm somewhat OK with the purchase.

One of the cups has two small dents on the edge of the saddle and where the top ring is the same cup has an indent where it looks like the embossing tool may have been hit too hard and dented the cup inwards. Having lived in India and seen how they work there, I was not too surprised to see the basic level work with these cups. They are very much lighter than other brass items I have, which leads me to think these are not fully made of brass. The balls that came with the package were nicely made.

Other than that I think they may be fun to use.

JoJo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The smaller ones I have also have slightly rounded tops.

There are actually three versions of these that I have seen so far. One is the larger cups, with no wand. One is the larger cups with a wand and a better box. The third is the smaller ones.

The retail prices were established LONG before these showed up on eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
The consensus from what I have read is the larger cups were of better quality than the smaller round-top cups. I can only vouch for the larger ones though. From pictures the smaller cups embossing looks much less detailed and shallow on the metal. Again, I have never compared the two side by side though.
MagicArtShop
View Profile
New user
Columbia, SC - Essex, England
8 Posts

Profile of MagicArtShop
It's a fairly simple (but time consuming) matter to make the cup tops/bottoms, concave. We use a heavy, round-edge dowel for this purpose on some of the "found" cups we reclaim for magic purposes.

The wood, firmly applied when striking, but not like you're trying to kill a rabid beast of some kind, will eventually make an even set of concave surfaces for each cup. Wood, too, is more appropriate as it's more forgiving than metal, which can damage the cups surface and cause it the metal (in the cup) to bend too much.

It might take 150 strikes on each cup, again, with moderate pressure applied, to get the desired result. In an hour, while watching TV or listening to music - with the volume turned up, this is a loud process, of course - you can make your set ready for a lifetime of use.

Hope this helps.

Greg Edmonds
MagicArtShop
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of MagicArtShop
As Todd mentioned, the use of show polish (usually dark brown or black, or a combination there of) has been used for many years to give new items an "antiqued" look.

The polish is essentially a wax (or wax-like) product with dye mixed in. It can be effectively used on the edges of playing cards (experiment on an unimportant deck to find out how much is needed). The key to success, as Todd also notes, is in thoroughly wiping the wax (almost) clean after it's allowed to dry.

The product works equally well on metal, wood and, of course, leather. The small round cans, of which Kiwi is the best-known brand, are what you're looking for.
MagicArtShop
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of MagicArtShop
And finally... On the surface of some of our metal products (including cups and balls), we get the "aged" look (a genuine patina, of sorts) by literally cooking the product (cups) in a heated bath of liver of sulfa, and a couple of other chemicals, for periods overnight and longer. This treatment actually appears to age to metal (and it won't wipe off, though we create highlights with steel wool).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Funtime Inc. Embossed Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL