The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Funtime Inc. Embossed Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I was fortunate enough to pickup a set of these cups on eBay for $35. I really like them but I wanted the design on the cups to pop out a bit more. I used an old trick of rubbing them down with shoe polish to replicate grime. Once they had dried overnight and the polish had gassed off I polished them with a clean cloth. The rubdown removes the grime from the surface but leaves it embedded in the design grooves.

I really enjoy the effect and like the way the cups look even more now.

"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Wow.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Wow indeed!

I picked up a set of these and also the standard sized embossed FT cups a couple of months ago. The shoe polish aintiquing definitely enhances the look of these cups.

Thanks for sharing this Todd! Great photos as well.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Nice job Lint!

How do they stack?
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I have never heard of using shoe polish to antique cups.
It looks good.
"But there isn't a door"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Yes, really nice. And only $35. Very cool!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Shoe polish (the kind that comes in a puck shaped container) is used heavily in the movie prop world to add age and grime to things with small grooves, engravings, etc. It works fantastic for fake aging coins and the like.

Todd
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Nicely done, Todd. I know you've been experimenting with this for a while so it's good to see you've made a real artistic breakthrough.

Sean
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Nice job, Todd. It's amazing how those cups have been transformed. Fantastic look.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
How dare you showing ingenuity and resourcefulness!

Glad this thread is small right now, all of us will have a chance to get a set before depleting the supply.
Thanks for sharing this great discovery!
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Oh wow.

I was just showing my wife the auction for the silver and gold cups and explaining that I was more than happy with my $20 set of cups. Now I'm not so happy with the $20 set, knowing this is just a few dollars more. Smile

Excellent work.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Todd… I am late to this post; you made those Cups look fantastic, your fantastic photos just blew me away.

Bruce
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Thanks for all the kind words. I should have also noted that when the shoe polish is dry there is virtually no smell from it and it is hardened enough to not leave any residue on your hands. You could of course remove it all from the grooves with a bit of scrubbing to get the cups back to their normal appearance as well.

-todd
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You don't happen to have any "before" shots, would you Todd? Would be interesting to compare the two!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Here's what mine looked like before Todd did his...

Come to think of it, mine still looked like that after Todd did his??????

Bri
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
For 35 bucks?? Sign me up.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
I got them for a steal. they are normally priced over $100 on magic sites. I just happened to get them at a buy it now price for a song...
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
I've used a similar technique (not on embossed C&B) using permanent marker pen and wiping clean the raised areas with solvent. Your boot polish method leaves residue behind deep in the recesses which looks more like genuine aging. I like it!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Eh, I'll just steal Bri's whenever I see him. Far cheaper and saves on shipping.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I thought that a set of those Fun Time Cups would look great on a bookshelf with Todd’s treatment; I just check the bidding site and they are now “buy now” for $59.99 a set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Funtime Inc. Embossed Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL