The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Removing anodized finish on aluminum? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
How easy is this to remove (i.e to return the aluminum to its basic shiny silvery look)? And does removing the anodized finish expose the aluminum to any pitting or structural problems?

Fortasse
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I believe it can be burned off. I recall a friend of mine torching a blue anodized part for a muffler install a long time ago. He didn't like the color. He cleaned it thoroughly then hit it with a propane torch for about 10 min. Then let it cool on it's own. Removed all the anodizing and looked just like a normal aluminum part after that.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Fortasse… I don’t know if this would remove an anodized finish, but I have had good luck removing lacquer finish with this product… Rust-Oleum brand Aircraft Remover. The automotive store I purchased it from said it would remove just about anything.

I have not damaged any Cups with it other than a Chop Cup that I thought was copper… but turned out to have a finish that was painted on… long story.

Good luck,
Bruce
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Todd and Bruce : Thanks for your replies.

Fortasse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Removing anodized finish on aluminum? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL