The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's Super Walking Knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
I own quite a few of Pavel's rope routines. A number of years ago, I purchased the super walking knot. I know practice makes perfect, but for some reason, I can't smooth the move out. No matter what I do, I look like I am fumbling. It should look like I am cutting the rope (no problem there) tying the rope, (that's where I have my problem) sliding (no problem) then un-tying (looking rough.) Smile
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Yes, it is difficult to do smoothly, you need to just keep practicing it till you can tie and untie quickly and smoothly. I had this problem originally but once you get the knack, it works fine.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Which is the best buy for a family show:

Tabary Volume 1 / Flip Hallema DVD or Mongolian Pop Knot
RichHead
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of RichHead
You can not go wrong with the Tabary Rope Routine. Definitely my best rope video by far.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would go for the Pop Knot. Tabary's routine "TO ME" is too long, too complex and while great for magicians, is not a layman trick.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
The Pop Knot is a good solid routine and leaves the audience with a couple of impossible souvenirs.

If you're on a budget and don't want to "burn" that much rope, Daryl's eight-minute routine works pretty well, if you don't rely on Daryl's jokes to carry it. (Mostly because Daryl can get away with being Daryl. Most of the rest of us can't.)

My only complaint with Daryl's is that it ends on kind of an "Oh, well that's it then" sort of note. I usually wander into the New Way Rope Through Neck (Abbot's Encyclopedia) as a finale.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
mystic mickey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mystic mickey
"POP KNOT" is great because it is the only natural justification for Professor's Nightmare. I mean you pull out three different lengths of rope...why, where, how, but Haydn's Pop Knot gets you there naturally almost automatically, and it's very, very easy. I learned from his manuscript but now there is a video.

Mystic Mickey @ mysticmickey.com.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
What is the best way to present the Super Walking Knot? Silent or talking act? I see the only drawback with this prop is you have to have a wide stage because the rope has to extend to about 16 feet in order to perform it properly. Any thoughts on this matter. Thanks.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
The visual nature and simplicity of the effect can lend itself to a silent act performance, timing action to music. Harry Anderson's handling from his old Harry the Hat stand-up shows goes the other way, with all patter and jokes.

The good news is that it can go into your act either way, however you need it.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I saw an ad somewhere on Pavel’s traveling knot.
It had the stage size and a platform size for sale and now I can't seem to find it!
I have been having trouble finding s shop that sells this illusion.
If anyone knows of this ad or someone that is selling it, please PM me.
Daniel Faith
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I practiced and practiced Pavel's super walking knot until I had good handling and went to perform it, only to find that the only chairs I could use were kid sized folding chairs.

No problem I thought, the rope will just be a little lower on the ends than when I practiced.

Well, the tension on the whole thing was all wrong, and as I took a pair of shears out of my pocket, while holding the rope in my open hand, I put too much pressure on the rope, and anyone who has one probably knows what happen next; rats! And then I thought I would just keep going with it at that point, commenting about how sharp the scissors were, and while I was tying the first knot, I again put too much pressure on rope, and whoops ... it happened again, but behind me this time.

Everyone in the crowd was roaring, but I was too flustered thinking about how much practice I had done, and how well I expected this to play, and so at that point, I just gathered it all up, saying I needed a better trained rope ... and went on to another effect.

Afterwards the other magi who were performing with me on the show that day said, “Why did you stop? You had them really going. We thought you were doing a comedy rope routine and they were loving it.”

I normally ignore speed bumps like this, which are usually the result of not practicing enough, and so I expect them, and create a way to make it work to my advantage, but this time, I was flat out at a loss.

Moral of the Story: Practice with the same setup as the one where you will perform. I forgot my chairs, and it all went downhill from there.

However, in retrospect, I can see now how a killer comedy routine could be developed around the Pavel's Super Walking Knot.

But I only do about two stage shows a year, and frankly, I am going to sell mine to another guy who was at the show with me, assuming he still wants it, after I blew up the performance.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
dfrasure12
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dfrasure12
How far away from your audience do you have to be to adequately hide the gimmick system?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dfrasure12, you started a new thread with this question and I gave a response there. Check out:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=9&1
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
Quote:
On 2003-10-23 22:18, Lou Hilario wrote:
What is the best way to present the Super Walking Knot? Silent or talking act? I see the only drawback with this prop is you have to have a wide stage because the rope has to extend to about 16 feet in order to perform it properly. Any thoughts on this matter. Thanks.

The great thing about this prop is you can "cut" it down to size to fit the stage you are on !
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Hi magicmanx,
I was referring to the simplified walking knot which is the same length but only has 4 gimmicks on it. I use this for my silent act because you can stretch out the rope (on some parts) proving that it is ungimmicked.
I also have the super walking knot which I use when I am talking and involving the audience.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
I have the Super Walking Knot. I used it a lot and now the gimmicks will not hold the rope in the air.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this problem?
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Sounds like you have purchased a more recent Version, I have 3 that I purched about 7 years ago & the Gimmicks are STRONG No headache here.

return them for refund

Cheers

ML
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I have a new Pavel's Super Walking Knot for sale here. Check it out.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
The handling is the trick in my opinion it is not easy because of the tension the first time you do a trick. That was why bought the simplified version. I have krazy knot also and it cost me a lot to have the courage of do it in front of the audience and it only has a joint!

Dario
Posted: Sep 14, 2004 5:56pm
---------------------------------------------
Is very dificult to describe it in English for me but try to put in pararel the joints that you want change and then with a twist you free one and insert the other.

Darío
Posted: Sep 15, 2004 3:53pm
I have found what I'm trying to say in this description in the Pavel's cabaret rope tape of the method he uses with "crazy knot"

Darío
Posted: Sep 15, 2004 3:56pm
To avoid the problem with the joints, try to cover them with corrector liquid (typex or similar)Perhaps this can help. It makes the joints white and give them a little more of union.

I own the simplified version but perhaps can help. I hope so.

Darío
Posted: Sep 17, 2004 8:00pm
To avoid fumbling I have develope my movements doing them first backwards, then repeat the same procedure in forward attaching the joints.

Darío
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Does anyone know why it's only made using SF as opposed to M's?
Logic Defied
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's Super Walking Knot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL