The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
Very nice well done.
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
66 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Hey John - nice routine! Liked the patter, it really kept me interested. Thanks for sharing.

PS - I think you sold me on those cups - man they are sweet!

Rob
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Rev :

If you don't mind sharing, how long did it take you to conceive, develop and practice the routine to the point where you felt confident in presenting it?
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
First, off, thanks so much for great comments, compliments, and suggestions. Working on Patter, and tightening up it all.

@Tim - This was shot in one setting, but I had a couple of takes before. Silly silly mistakes, but ones that can happen in real life as well. I would put up outtakes, but mmm... the swearing might get me defrocked (grin).

@Lawrence - Thanks so much for your walk through of my routine. I appreciate it, more than you know!

@Fortasse - I risked big time putting it here. I was scared, honestly. I liked it, and that is really in the end the most important aspect, but I also value all your opinions.

I have been working on the basic routine for years. But not the patter, and the story. Reading some of the theory behind the cups and balls over the last couple years, and hearing suggestions about moving away from, "one ball here," etc, helped. A couple of parts in this routine now have just been added recently, such as the use of the combo aspect of the cups, along with placements of the Charlie Miller move, and some of the other things... like wand through the cup, etc. The patter owes a lot of thanks to Kent Gunn, and David Regal. Both those routines take me back to my experiences at Hade's Magic Shop in Seattle. Man, I loved that place!!

As for practicing the routine, I am still in the practice stage. And will be for years to come, and although I really like what I have, there is always room for improvement. Gotten some great suggestions, and pointers from wonderful thinkers around this place.

An example of something I have dropped is the Vernon Wand Spin. I could possibly add it again, but at this point in my thinking, I don't need it, and the risk is higher than the reward. I love it, and practice it over and over... but I also have had times where I have lost the wand in the spin, and do not want to loose a spectator that way in real life (grin).

Thanks for asking!

RevJohn
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
RevJohn,

I really appreciate seeing this! I have a set of Paul Fox Cups & Balls someone gifted me, and have been working on the basics for about six months. There are some things I'm doing, I really don't know if I want to continue doing. I have been inspired by people like Kent F. Gunn, Dai Vernon, David Roth, and of course Michael Ammar. You're right about the Vernon Wand Spin. Risky, especially with my skills! LOL! Thanks again!

Doug
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
And that is the last time you'll ever see my name in the same sentence with Vernon, Roth and Ammar.

Doug, I appreciate the compliment, but it's only 'cause I yack here on the Café so much people know me. Those other three guys . . . whole different universe brother. Whole different universe. This ain't false modesty, it's reality.

Still, I'm glad you like my stuff.

And . . . I could never do the Mora wand spin vanish either!

KG
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
And that is the last time you'll ever see my name in the same sentence with Vernon, Roth and Ammar.

Doug, I appreciate the compliment, but it's only 'cause I yack here on the Café so much people know me. Those other three guys . . . whole different universe brother. Whole different universe. This ain't false modesty, it's reality.

Still, I'm glad you like my stuff.

And . . . I could never do the Mora wand spin vanish either!

KG

PS to John,
It really is a great routine you've come up with!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Kent,

A well-known name is not necessary to be a world-class cups and balls master! A you are most definitely a world-class performer! Being a Café member gives you terrific exposure, along with YouTube. I am so glad I saw your YouTube performances, as I have saved them, along with other routines you have posted there.

I am inspired by not only the big names we all know and love, but do NOT underestimate the impact you have on people who see your fantastic performances with your Sherwood Cups! Just so members here do not think I am exaggerating in my praise for Kent F. Gunn, look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYmGnK4K9g

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__UnSXmj......&list=UL

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted everyone to see the incredible work Kent does. And yes, again RevJohn, you have a very unique and inspiring routine yourself!

Doug
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Kent's routine is awesome and deserves all the praise it gets! Awesome stuff!

John
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Great job and, most importantly, very entertaining. One suggestion I would make is that when you load the large balls, you seem to speed up the pace. It might be better to go slower with this so as not to draw attention.

You have given me something to work towards.

Don
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
RevJohn,

I like the Foxy 3's! Mine are made by the original owner of RnT's II (before Donnie), are polished stainless steel, and look very similar to yours! I like the idea of working out of a pouch! Good servante possibilities there, for more than just the cups and balls!

I am sure glad I found this thread! Thanks again! Smile
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Are they Foxy 3's or Foxy 2.5's? I was under the impression that the Foxy 3 combos came out with Donnie. But I could be mistaken.

Thanks! I do like the Foxy line for sure!

John
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Btw, thanks to all who have offered suggestions and tips along the way. Have been reworking the pacing of the routine, which includes speed of final loads, etc.

Been very helpful in the process of working on the presentation!

John
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 10:33, RevJohn wrote:
Are they Foxy 3's or Foxy 2.5's? I was under the impression that the Foxy 3 combos came out with Donnie. But I could be mistaken.

Thanks! I do like the Foxy line for sure!

John

Oh, my cups? They are not the Foxy line. They were made by Jake back in the 80's, I believe. They are the original polished stainless steel Paul Fox line. Donnie tells me they are quite rare, and I am really thankful for the Café member who gifted me these! The nicest Cups & Balls I have ever owned! Smile
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Very nice! Thanks. Misunderstood the above post. Sounds like a nice set of cups.

I am very happy with these cups, and I thought I couldn't be happier than when I used to own Foxy 2.5s...

The Foxy 3 Combo cups are soooo nice, and the release on the chopped cup is very nice.

Gets my two thumbs raised high! Thanks for the good work, Donnie! And thanks to Frank, Kent and others that work to inspire in their own special ways. Very giving people on the Café'. Special place to hang out!

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » A routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL