The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Scarne's Classic Ball Routine from Stars of Magic (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
148 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Anyone know of a video performance of Scarne's routine? I don't need no tutorial, heaven forbid. I have the book. I just want to see it in action to get the 'Gestalt' of the routine. Especially the production of the first ball puzzles me. According to instructions and photo's, Scarne just grabes the ball from right hand finger palm postition with left thumb and forefinger, pushes it across the right fingers up to the right thumb and right index finger and displays it. How is that magical?
When I try to do that, it just looks like what it is. Grabbing a ball out of the right hand and displaying it.

I really would like to see that view in action, so I can see what it's supposed to look like to the audience.

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I love Stars of Magic. However, Scarne's routine is not that good. I would recommend David Roth's 3 ball trick which was sold as a manuscript and is superior to the Scarne routine IMO.

Larry
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1629 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I actually prefer the Scarne routine. Here's what one nut-job worked out after reading some magic books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jq0sIIb3q4

KG
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
That "nut-job" sure has a nice clean tight and interesting routine. Way to go, Kent. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I too love the Roth routine. I prefer his method (one that others have used as well.)

Or you could go the Kent Gunn route and hide an Oompa Loompa in your pocket.

Did I spell that right?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1629 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I spoke with my pocket pal, his name is Benji. He says you've spelled it just right.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Phew. He sure does good work. I know I've become obsessed with mine.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
If I remember rightly the Scarne routine starts out and ends with ash in the ashtray, so the magical production is turning ash into the first ball...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hmmm.... As I recall, the Charlie Sheen routine starts with white powder.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
148 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 11:03, Tim Dowd wrote:
If I remember rightly the Scarne routine starts out and ends with ash in the ashtray, so the magical production is turning ash into the first ball...

That is correct. It's not the story that I am puzzled about. It's the first move.

The first ball is in finger palm between 3rd and 4th finger of the right hand. The left hand pinches some ashes. That's photo no. 1.
Then (I'll quote from the text).
Quote:
Left hand 1st finger shows ashes, and as both hands come together Left Hand Thumb and First Finger (photo no. 2) slide ball diagonally across fingers of Right Hand so that ball coms in view at tips of Thumb and First Finger of both hands (Photo no. 3). Ball is immediately turned a few times by Thumbs and First Fingers of both Hands; ...

So my question remains. How is this magical? When I do it it just looks like what it really is. I take a hidden ball from between my fingers and display it.

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Erik, I have a suggestion. Borrow a video camera and film your performance of the routine with the balls. Then film your performance of the routines without the balls. If you compare the two videos, you will find your answer.
Harold Cataquet
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1672 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Erik, I think you have to perform this move with some speed. The ball should pop into view, kind of like a coin production. The twisting action should cover the grasping of the ball.

Hope this helps,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Hi Erik, you are right... if you don't think it is magical then you cannot "sell" the effect to others. You really have to believe that what you are doing is turning ash (or white Charlie Sheen powder, thanks Pete Smile) into a little ball then everyone else will too. Try reacting as if it just appeared and that sells the move.

What I wanted to say was what Harold is suggesting, from your point of view it is not magical... but from another point of view it is very magical.
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Erik, if you don't like the way Scarne gets into his ball routine, then why not change it. Produce that first ball another way, there are many methods to do it.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
One other way is described in Marlo's Silver Spheres routine from the "Arcade Dreams" book.
He describes using a coin move by Milt Kort in "Modern Coin Magic" p.130.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 19:17, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
One other way is described in Marlo's Silver Spheres routine from the "Arcade Dreams" book.
He describes using a coin move by Milt Kort in "Modern Coin Magic" p.130.

This is a variation of the L'Homme Masque coin load which is one of a number of methods which would work just fine.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Aldo Colombini tips some nice work in this area at the start of his Get the Ball Rolling routine.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Lou Serrano has a nice standing three steel balls routine.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
The magic is meant to be created when the ball appears between the fingers of the right hand at the instant that it contacts the ash in the left fingers. You will see this look like magic when you watch David Roth do this in his routine. At the begining he reaches to the far corner and produces a ball. It looks as though he peuled it from where he was reaching, not from his finger palm, Sorry! f**g** p*lm.

It also is perhaps the first use of the larger movement covering the smaller movement. What you should probably focus on is what your going to do with the ball once you've taken it from the left fingers. Either move it to your eyes to look closely at it or place it on the table. Don't just leave the right hand at the left.

P
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
148 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Some clarification

When I said: it's not magical, I didn't imply any criticism on Mr. Scarne! heaven forbid! No, I just would like to see someone perform this first production so that I can get a feel of the 'Gestalt' of the sleight (as Roberto Giobbi would call it).

I am utterly convinced that it can be made magical with the modus operandi described in the Stars of Magic. I just want to see it been done by someone.

I agree with Tom Dowd. You have to believe in your own magic to sell it. But I still need to see it done. Not to mimic it, just to get a feel for it. Then I can work on my own handling of it

But so far, thanks for the great reactions!

Ciao for now
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » John Scarne's Classic Ball Routine from Stars of Magic (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL