The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Practising your C&B for YouTube? Live Performance? Both? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
In practising your C&B (or other close-up magic), is it geared more for live performance or for YouTube? The presentational techniques are quite different, aren't they?

Fortasse
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have always said, the magic changes dramatically when someone is there watching you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Well, I'm still the hobbyist who sometimes practices just to not suck.

Having stuck my neck out a few times, I absolutely practice for real people. It's just so much more rewarding.

Web video is only to bounce ideas off of some performing friends to get their input on the presentation. Those are even limited so that only my friends can see it.

I'd rather be performing in front of real people, even if that means just goofing off before or after a club meet.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I think YouTube is great for getting feedback or showing off a routine; I do NOT think it's something to aim for (at least in my book.) I have thousands of dollars of editing software on my computer. If I want to make magic for people to merely watch on video and never perform it in the real world, I can achieve that without ever going near a set of cups. I rehearse as though there are people watching me always.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Live and video are not even in the same genre. The concern with video is the risk of immediate armchair deconstruction, and this tempts some otherwise very good magicians to compensate, thus learning bad habits, or otherwise unnecessary postures that carry over into live performance (pouch cramping, etc.) The main difference is the field of focus, including foreground vs background, peripheral focus, and other 3-D factors not available on video.

Video seems to also limit the magician to an omni-directional performance mentality, which limits not only what they should do, but what they could otherwise do given difference performance circumstances. As a result, many live performances are presented "flat screen".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I find it fun to show Magicians a routine on YouTube, or a couple of friends. However, the limited times I have posted on YouTube, the video is always marked as Unlisted. So specific people can see it, for the main reason of getting a general feel.

I had been working on the routine I posted on YouTube for people to look at, with the thought that it would be a routine that would "go live." Will hopefully post a clip from a performance I will be doing with this routine after this Tuesday. Should be fun, I hope!

John
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 17:25, AndrewJ wrote:
Well, I'm still the hobbyist who sometimes practices just to not suck.

Yeah! What AJ said.

I think anyone with even a slightly serious bent for magic is practicing to improve his/her performance for real people. I have posted entirely too many tricks on youtube. It's made me a number of new friends and enemies. You wouldn't believe how many other magicians hate my cups and balls routine. I get hate mail!

I never considered what I was doing to be for youtube. I use three video cameras at ever widening angles to figure out where the stuff I do will flash. I find few effects that are bulletproof all the way around, or even to 180 degrees. I started posting the tricks as a point of conversation about the cups and balls that started on this forum.

I think video is a great tool to improve. I've gotten some GREAT criticism here and other places that truly helped me to improve. If we're not doing what we do to improve, it's time to pick up the guitar. (I'm a lousy guitar player too!)

Magic is a performing art. It is meant to be done live in front of people that live and breathe. Youtube is just one tiny avenue for feedback. It ain't much. It's nothing compared to the rare instances where I've performed adequately in front of laymen who actually seem to like what I do. Who knew? You can do magic for non-magicians!

KG
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Reminds me of how it is with golf : you always shoot a much better round when you're playing alone. I guess that's the equivalent of YouTube when filming yourself with nobody else around. Spectators really do change the dynamics of performance.....as does that foursome out there on the links!

Fortasse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Practising your C&B for YouTube? Live Performance? Both? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL