The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Riffle shuffle Faro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
416 Posts

Profile of CardFan
I am having hard time performing a perfect faro with a classic rifle shuffle. Do you know of any special training method to achieve that or any vid where I can learn more about that ?
The simplest of schoolchildren now knows truths for which Archimedes would have given his life...
Stefan S.
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Stefan S.
Hi you can find a clip of it on the Site of Denis Behr!

http://www.denisbehr.de/6.htm

I would say this is one of the most difficult sleights in card magic, esspecialy if you want to control in or out faros!?

Cheers

Stefan
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rodolphe, my friend Steve Youell he's a member of the Café and a wonderful cardician.He does a riffle faro ,
he performs this with ease , Please contact him he is very helpful and a sharing person.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
416 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Thanks guys, cheers.
The simplest of schoolchildren now knows truths for which Archimedes would have given his life...
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
787 Posts

Profile of DaveM
You can see some more tabled faros with the camera at spectator distance here:

http://home.comcast.net/~davidsole/index.html

All the best,

Dave
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
The martin nash video (forgot which)
and the Ackerman Card Control Vol 6
both describe the table faro.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Expert Card Technique has a very good description. Also, do a search, I think some of the Café members have posted tips before.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes, but the original question was a riffle table faro.
Not a table faro,
big difference..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
787 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Without the riffle, it just doesn't cut it in performance.

Hey Vinny,
Were you able to download the solution to my posted coin effect? I was wondering because I changed the password last night.

Don't waste your time learning the spring table faro; it just doesn't appear "natural". On my website noted above I demo my best efforts to make the spring appear as a riffle, with mixed results at best IMO. Here are some hints to get you started:

1. Don't use a new deck, use one faro "trained"(corners sanded slightly). I also found Bees easier when they're relatively new.

2. THE most important thing is that the packets MUST remain perfectly square throughout the sleight.

3. When you have the packets on the table(I suggest using an actual table top to begin with vice a mat), "butt to butt", injog the packet of your DOMINANT hand about 1/4".

4. Now, with one smooth motion, gently lift up on the packets while turning the left hand ccw and the right one cw.

5. The riffle should follow about five/six cards behind the weave in optimum conditions.

All the best,

DaveM
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2003-08-04 10:03, vinsmagic wrote:
Yes, but the original question was a riffle table faro.
Not a table faro,
big difference..
vinny

No no, not that one...the other one Smile

I was actually refering to the Charlie Miller method in Expert Card Technique, which IS a tabled riffle faro.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Paul, What i'm talking about is the cards realy look like they have been riffled shuiffled ,but Steve Youell's method the cards have been faroed that's how clean it looks...
DAVID M I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO OPEN THE FILE AS OF YET
VINNY
Come check out my magic.

Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
The Martin Nash video is his Infinity video. Very detailed tabled faro is contained within. Check it out!!
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2003-08-04 16:56, vinsmagic wrote:
Paul, What i'm talking about is the cards realy look like they have been riffled shuiffled ,but Steve Youell's method the cards have been faroed that's how clean it looks...
DAVID M I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO OPEN THE FILE AS OF YET
VINNY

Vinnie, Steve is using the Charlie Miller method that Paul is referring to, with slight handling changes. You are right, of course, it looks exactly like a riffle shuffle, because it IS a riffle shuffle with faro-like results. There is a problem with the descriptions of these faro/riffle shuffles, in that the action is often confused with the result. What Steve does is a perfect riffle shuffle. He actually riffles the deck so that the cards are shuffled perfectly, the same result that you get from a faro, which uses a completely different handling. Handling meaning, in this case, the way in which pressure is applied to the cards in order to get them to interlace perfectly.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
416 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Guys, as Vinny rightly pointed my original question was about rifle shuffle faro, not common faro wich represents no particular problem since I reached the age of 15.
And the
http://www.denisbehr.de/6.htm
link posted by Stefan demonstrate that it can look perfectly natural when well performed (wich I am working onto but without big success for now).
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4863 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I couldn't get that video to run either.
Question: Is this perfect riffle shuffle done with a significant gap between the packets as they interlace or are we talking about one where the packets are touching and a weave is part of or all of the action disguised by the handling? I can do a perfect true riffle with the packets held by the thumbs in riffle stacking position but can't do it 100% of the time which means its not something I can rely on when performing. I noticiced that Ortiz does not use it. I am sure there are experts who can do it everytime.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Paul, thank you for you explaination. I know Steve is a friend of yours and he he speaks very highly of you and your magic. I hope one day to meet you it would be an honor.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
787 Posts

Profile of DaveM
When first messing with this sleight, I once learned a method where I "whacked" the packets to bevel the corners inwards slightly. Then I could actually do a riffle and with the right "pressure", could get a perfect weave. But, there were problems with consistency, so I looked into Nash's method.

I still have the footage of an old tutorial I made where I taught this method to a friend, so I may have to dig it out again. It actually was a riffle shuffle, with a little "control" added.

All the best,

Dave
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dave pm Steve Youell hes is selling a cd on THE RIFFLE FARO effect it is a KILLER.
VINNY
Come check out my magic.

CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
416 Posts

Profile of CardFan
Vinny, what is his email ?
Thanks.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
As mentioned, the Martin Nash video is Infinity and Beyond. Beyond was the tabled riffle faro.

In the interest of full disclosure, I tried Beyond several times in the years since I bought the video, and I'm still unable to do it. I'm sure it has more to do with my own lack of dexterity than any problem with Martin Nash's instruction. On the other hand, I don't regret a cent of the $60 or so that the video cost at the time (now I've seen it for half that price) because Infinity is an incredibly useful card control.

Billgussen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Riffle shuffle Faro (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL