The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » TV alert - magic on "Big Bang Theory" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Will watch later tonight. My big fear as that they'll make it an exposure show...

It's not that the exposure bothers me... A good entertainer can overcome that. I just wish Hollywood respected our art a little more... :-(
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the whole portraying it that close to the truth can be annoying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They did acknowledge that the "dove pan" has a secret compartment, but didn't actually show it. Howard really should have checked that device before putting it away for so long! Smile

This is the first time I've seen Howard actually doing magic (the other episode turned out to be a Sheldon-specific scam) and he's just not very good. He seems to have no presentation skills whatsoever!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Agreed. It was pretty consistent for his character.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I thought the whole prank thing was hilarious.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh yeah! I think one of the reasons they stay friends with Sheldon is that he's so much fun to mess with!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I laughed at the bit where the kid googled the milk pitcher while Howard was demonstrating it. That can be a real problem nowadays if a magician relies solely on store bought standard effects.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This is about the 4th Big Bang Theory episode that shows Howard doing magic.

On another episode in the past, Howard did a cane to silk (mishandled, for comedy purposes I assume), and also silk from TT. The silks had messages on them. He was asking a girl on a date (Sheldon's twin sister, Missy).

On a different episode, he produced a chain of silks from his sleeve or mouth. Either that, or he talked about it.

This was in addition to the episode where he did the card trick so he could stump Sheldon (and Sheldon came up with his own solution... a scanning wand).

And in addition to this recent episode where he did the magic show for his nephew, and used a dove pan, milk pitcher, and bare-handed card productions in various parts of the episode.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 16:05, Donald Dunphy wrote:
And in addition to this recent episode where he did the magic show for his nephew, and used a dove pan, milk pitcher, and bare-handed card productions in various parts of the episode.

Oh, and he also did a square circle (without any reveal) at the very beginning of the episode, to produce a jar with a goldfish in it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
No reveal, but again it was very badly done. Howard's like a 9-year old who just got his first magic kit.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Which fits his character. I actually couldn't stand that character until he got with Bernadette. I hope they stay together.
Breaking them up would be about as stupid as whoever decided to cancel Dhani Tackles the Globe.
~Will Rogers
vinh31
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of vinh31
Well its personal... but I feel this show is going nowhere and is a lot less geeky than before.
Maybe those characters were not meant to have girlfriends...
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I have quickly become a big fan of this show. It's one of the funniest in a long time to appear on a major network.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Same people who brought you 2 1/2 men.

Killer premise. The idea that the "wacky" neighbor is just normal and the meat of the cast is "wacky" is pretty cool take on the sit com.

I hope they live past the 5 year curse of people wanting more money that does in most good sit coms. They just become too expensive to produce after that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I like Blossom as Sheldon's girlfriend thing. Her reaction to the tiara in this episode was priceless.
~Will Rogers
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
I want to give Howard some credit here. Sure, he may not be on par with professional magicians, but of all the characters on the show, he's the only one who's pursued the hobby of magic well into adulthood.

It's likely that all the friends (Leonard, Sheldon, Rajesh, and Howard) dabbled in magic tricks when they were younger, but Howard was the only one to stick with it. Through the years, Sheldon became resentful of magic, in that despite his great intelligence he is unable to explain away Howard's illusions, and he covers up that resentment by mocking the magician's profession. Rajesh seems to fit the role of an ideal spectator in cheering Howard on and never trying to hide his own amazement. And as for Leonard, on the surface he might seem a little indifferent towards magic, but he may just be one of those spectators who tries not to reveal his amazement (which is more appreciated than a Sheldon-like spectator, but not as fun as a Rajesh-like one).

Howard might not (yet) be a professional magician, but he can (and does) amaze his friends (including Sheldon, which Sheldon is loathe to admit), inevitably resulting in friends and family members requesting that he do kid's shows. And Howard occasionally obliges, since he enjoys displaying his skills and instilling a sense of wonder in his audience.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The only sense of wonder that Howard instills in his audience is that he leaves them wondering what he is doing. (The whole point of the joke is that he has NO skill at magic.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » TV alert - magic on "Big Bang Theory" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL