The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Combinatorial Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
This product is a 3x3 tray of cubes. In the write-up the manufacturer claims that "billions of fascinating images to be created (68,719,476,736 possible combinations)." The number they give happens to be 2^36.

This seems wrong to me. Assuming each face is distinct and has no rotational symmetry and that all 9 cubes are in play, each cube can be placed in the tray in 24 ways. (6 faces x 4 orientations). The 9 cubes can be arranged in 9! ways. If I am right, we have 24x9!=8,709,120 permutations.

I find combinatorial problems difficult, so I'm sure I've made a basic error somewhere. But I have a hard time believing that 2^36 is right either.

Thanks

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

On sober second thought, it seems that it should that be 24^9.

Geez.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Sorry for thinking out loud on a public forum. My second post is just stupid. Sober second though? Ha!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 15:51, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I think it's (9!) * (24^9) ÷ 4 = 239,664,780,049,121,000.

I think.

(Decide which cube goes in which position: 9!. Decide the orientation of each cube: 24^9. Remove duplicates obtainable by rotating the frame: 4.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Thank you. That was one of the approaches that I talked myself out of last night. I don't know why, but this kind of problem leads me all sorts of self-deceit.

I couldn't convince myself that there were only 4 rotational duplicates with your method.

John
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 09:06, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I couldn't convince myself that there were only 4 rotational duplicates with your method.

If you allow that you could flip the thing over, there are eight.

Imagine a simpler objet d'art: only one cube. There are 6 * 4 = 24 orientations, but the same four rotational duplicates; hence, 24 ÷ 4 = 6 orientations. That is, you pick which face is on top.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Thank you. Somehow the problem seem simple now Smile

John
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
The other day I was trying to figure how many unique 4x4 sudoku answers there could be. Harder than it looks. Can't say I'm right.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 00:09, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 15:51, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I think it's (9!) * (24^9) ÷ 4 = 239,664,780,049,121,000.

I think.

(Decide which cube goes in which position: 9!. Decide the orientation of each cube: 24^9. Remove duplicates obtainable by rotating the frame: 4.)

Could be wrong, but those nine cubes look identical to me, in which case you don't need the factor of 9! Also some of the faces appear to have point symmetry (i.e. 180 degrees) and 90 degree rotational symmetry so that the orientation of some cubes may be double counted for some situations in the above. I think though that it only becomes an issue for the middle cube where all the other sides are hidden.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-19 15:46, landmark wrote:
Could be wrong, but those nine cubes look identical to me, in which case you don't need the factor of 9! Also some of the faces appear to have point symmetry (i.e. 180 degrees) and 90 degree rotational symmetry so that the orientation of some cubes may be double counted for some situations in the above. I think though that it only becomes an issue for the middle cube where all the other sides are hidden.

It isn't clear to me whether the cubes are identical, so I did the calculation as if they weren't and - as you point out - there is no symmetry to each cube. If the cubes are identical or there are symmetries to consider, the number of visually distinct patterns is reduced accordingly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Combinatorial Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL