The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tin Cups Revival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Bill, are there any authentic period sets in this style that were made in copper? I don't think I have seen any sets in anything other than tin and brass.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Chris Capstone
View Profile
Regular user
Tulsa, OK
107 Posts

Profile of Chris Capstone
Lint: I just received a copper set from Win. They are awesome. I'm not sure how historically accurate copper might be. You are probably right about tin or brass being more accurate. I chose copper over the tin because I work outdoors a lot. I've had issues with wind when using a taller style cup so I wanted the extra weight. Win said the copper was quite a bit heavier than the tin. I'm going to let mine darken.

I've had Harries Bosco cups in aluminum, copper, and copper with nickel plate. I've also used Bertini/Davenport cups in copper with nickel plate. I like these better than all those. The only exception is I really liked the extra deep recess for the ball on the Burtini/Davenport cups. I would not mind if Win made that a little deeper because it helps keep the ball in place outdoors in the wind.

Other than that very small issue, these cups are great for me. They easily take an smaller orange as a load and they really match my old fashioned costume and props. The large size registers well outdoors.

I didn't realize Win offered brass. May have to get some of those as well!
Chris Capstone
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Chris,
I recall in my reenactor catalogs, mention of copper drinking cups that were "tinned" on the inside. They said they used to heat the cup and melt a small chunk of tin inside and swirl it around to coat the insides of the cup.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 13:40, chriscapstone wrote:
Lint: I just received a copper set from Win. They are awesome. I'm not sure how historically accurate copper might be. You are probably right about tin or brass being more accurate. I chose copper over the tin because I work outdoors a lot. I've had issues with wind when using a taller style cup so I wanted the extra weight. Win said the copper was quite a bit heavier than the tin. I'm going to let mine darken.

I've had Harries Bosco cups in aluminum, copper, and copper with nickel plate. I've also used Bertini/Davenport cups in copper with nickel plate. I like these better than all those. The only exception is I really liked the extra deep recess for the ball on the Burtini/Davenport cups. I would not mind if Win made that a little deeper because it helps keep the ball in place outdoors in the wind.

Other than that very small issue, these cups are great for me. They easily take an smaller orange as a load and they really match my old fashioned costume and props. The large size registers well outdoors.

I didn't realize Win offered brass. May have to get some of those as well!

glad you enjoy the cups. I am sure Win can accommodate any special requests for deepening the recess on the top of the cup.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24160 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 23:34, lint wrote:
Bill, are there any authentic period sets in this style that were made in copper? I don't think I have seen any sets in anything other than tin and brass.

I don't have any, but I have brass ones that have patinized a lot like copper, so they may, in fact, be copper.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
howlinhobbit
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
53 Posts

Profile of howlinhobbit
While I think the cups are beautiful, I'm more flummoxed by the fact that there are still tinkers amongst us!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 17:12, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 23:34, lint wrote:

I don't have any, but I have brass ones that have patinized a lot like copper, so they may, in fact, be copper.

Bill,

I don't know if there were middle age or Renaissance cups made out of copper but I do know that copper was already known to give a taste to beverages and meals and copper kitchenware were already tin coated inside. Actually the silver cups present the same drawback and their inside was gilted (like the one I gave you).
Now, at the time, copper was not considered a precious metal and therefore I would tend to think that the cups were either tin cups (as in Hocus Pocus Jr) or luxury cups were in silver with inner gilting in gold.

Now this is only an analytical and logical perspective but the fact that none of us could read any document involving copper cups may support this hypothesis.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Sorry I meant to write "I don't know if there were middle age or Renaissance cups made out of "copper" (not "silver")...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tin Cups Revival (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL