The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Mystiflyers and Zealer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Down here in Key West there's a magic shop in the Key West Toy Factory. Get's a lot of foot traffic from the tourists and cruise ship tourists. I fill in on occasion-demo product and do short shows which is what mgmt. wants.

I went in this past Monday and there was a Mystiflyers display in the magic shop. Great looking display with a flat panel TV incorporated into the POP display which looped a great little demo. Product well packaged and attractive. The price was $6.99.

Time after time I watched people come in, briefly look at the display/demo, grab one and head to check out. Only two or three times all day did anyone turn around, walk across the shop and ask me anything about it.

Can you say "Cha Ching?" Props to Carl. The kid's making (or already has made) a fortune.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
The instructions on those things suck the big one ... I doubt anyone that buys one will ever be able to actually do it.

It appears to me the idea is to sell them cheap enough that nobody bothers to bring them back. Ward Hall wouldn't apologize ... as he said ... "if they were [ripped off] they were only ripped off $2".

The part I don't like is after they buy it, they realize it is "string" ... even if they don't know how to actually work the string, they still know it. I would prefer they could at least do it, because then they would have some respect for the secret.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I agree. It requires too much skill and patience for someone to learn and do. It's a pain in the butt to demo, too.
-Matt
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Let's not fool ourselves. Anyone breathing could come up the string solution without buying the thing. And magic methods are not so important to most folks that they bank it in long term memory. I'm sure you've fooled audiences with "exposed" magic tricks. Please don't think I'm a fan of exposure, I'm not. As far as respect for the secret, hit 'em in the wallet. "Be sure to keep the secret. If you tell people how it's done your giving 'em 7 dollars out of your pocket." Makes 'em think.

Yea, JoeJoe, Ward and Chris would admire it. BTW, A few years ago at the Meadowlands fair I pitched some old paper magic crap that Ward put together who knows how many years ago. The rest of the performers didn't even know I was doing it until I came in with the bags of stuff. They said, "oh, are they trying to get you to sell that? They tried to get us to last season and it never sells." I told them I was almost sold out of all that Ward had-and did sell out shortly. They couldn't figure that out.

Matthew. No need to demo it with that snazzy display.

Anyway, my whole point is that the display is great and it works like a charm because most people buy with no questions asked.

On the lower level of the mall, a kiosk is selling worms for $9.99. Pirates still live in Key West.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 11:50, inhumaninferno wrote:
As far as respect for the secret, hit 'em in the wallet. "Be sure to keep the secret. If you tell people how it's done your giving 'em 7 dollars out of your pocket." Makes 'em think.

That's the problem ... the beachwear stores selling them things next to the worms for only $4 and $5 don't take any steps what-so-ever to give the secret respect. Before they even show it to their friends they tell them how it works.

The Masked Magician however ... he at least creates a certain level of "respect" for the secret. I often hear people tell me how the masked magician showed how something worked, but rarely (if ever?) do they actually proceed to try to explain how it works. It is more of a "I'm special because I know how it works" ... vs ... "check out this string you can't see".

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
You are right about not needing to demo, but you need electric to run the display, and in a pitching situation, you don't always have electric. Even when I had a demo video for the squirmles, everyone wanted it demoed as well.

My personal feeling is that they are just too difficult for a street fair or craft fair item. I don't want people to be frustrated with their purchase.
-Matt
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I have said this before and I'll say it again.I believe the Mysiflyers are a rip off at any price.

I vid demo in a store setting works better than the item just sitting on a shelf but when you are set up PITCHING you have to do a live demo.Thats why we are called PITCHMAN! That's a no brainer if I ever heard of one...period!

Don
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Thank you Carl and anyone else for selling something floating; the people who have bought or seen it are some my best marks for my main product "Float This!"
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Of course, I'm not arguing pitching live. Full agreement with what Don says (...and you too JoeJoe). My main point was the effectiveness of that display in that retail setting and the profitability. The people were buying regardless of whether we know the thing sucks or not. I do not demo it and won't-for the few that asked, I simply refer them to the display and tell 'em it takes practice. For the general public, IMHO "floating" effects are not something they could do and have fun with unlike the worm or Svengali deck. We all know you want them to be able to do the stuff easily and enjoy their purchase.

Even that old paper magic crap I sold for Ward and Chris, you could easily do it and have fun. We moved it and then I pitched mice.

"That's the problem ... the beachwear stores selling them things next to the worms for only $4 and $5 don't take any steps what-so-ever to give the secret respect. Before they even show it to their friends they tell them how it works"-sure JoeJoe, I see your point...there's no one there creating that sense of 'you're in the club now so don't give the secret away'.

"The Masked Magician however ... he at least creates a certain level of "respect" for the secret. I often hear people tell me how the masked magician showed how something worked, but rarely (if ever?) do they actually proceed to try to explain how it works. It is more of a "I'm special because I know how it works" ... vs ... "check out this string you can't see"-on the other hand, I have had people come up to me because they know I'm a magician and try and tell me how stuff works cause they'd seen the masked jerk...though not when I have been performing.

Enough of this claptrap from my end. My final words are (not brown-noseing, but with respect to knowledge, experience and success), "listen and do what Don Driver tells ya when it comes to pitching."

See Ya.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
While we are on the subjest of "giving away the secret" and the Masked Magician etc.Here is my two cents on the matter.THE PLUBIC FORGETS the same day or really don't care in the first place.The only people that watch all the exposure on Youtube are MAGICIANS because they want something to complain about.If magicians or pitchman would just "entertain" their audience or tip and do their job the plubic won't care how you do it or don't do it.How many times have magicians gone to lectures to learn magic,be taught moves and forget them by the time they get home? All the time right...and we have an understanding about magic.So if we can't remember what chance do you think a layman has.

Marks being the "marks" they are,weather its at a magic show or in your tip durning a pitch look upon magic as a puzzle they have to figure out rather than entertainment.If you get them laughing they won't have time to think about it.

Bottom line: IT DOSEN'T MATTER WHAT THEY KNOW! And that's my two cents on the matter...

Don

P.S. Just for the record the Svengali pitch dosen't expose how the decks works and never has.
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I sell to a large amount of people who swear it's not a thumb tip or invisible stirng I'm using. If you do it well, you'll fool them or at least leave that little amount of doubt in their mind. I have even had other vendors go home look it up online and still buy from me the next day. I always tell people; only buy it if it is something you want to be able to do yourself or give as a gift, don't buy it if you just want to know the secret.

PS - For the record I think Don's pitch gives away a little too much and is too long for today's generation, but I did learn from it.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Will, I'm sorry I have to disagree. Don's pitch 'gives away' ONLY the long/short aspect of the cards. And in my opinion, if anything, it confuses people MORE, especially when you add the 'magnetic finish' bit. There is NO explanation of the DL, which to my mind, is the REAL secret of the deck.

I know there are people on here who say that they do NOT use the DL. Frankly, I don't see how they do it, but I guess they do. But if it weren't for Don's demo (and the fact that, after I saw it, I ordered 2 gross of decks from Loftus) I'd still be selling strippers only. I love doing the deck. And tho others have demos, it's Don's demo that sells the cards. Because, if I understand correctly, it is as close to the original Svengali demo as I've seen.

Long? Well maybe. But it gets the job done. If you saw David Walker's demon on Don's DVD, you know it is actually longer because it includes the Larceny trick in the demo. I think most of us only use it as a last resort. I know I do. So my demo is shorter than it could be. All in all, tho, like most of us, I've changed/added a few things, I think Don's demo is just about right.

Jon
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I shorten Davids pitch and only took the best parts of it and add the larceny part only when needed.David did the same thing with Mickey Mcdougall's pitch that was so long but nessary for the time.

If you get too short with the pitch the deck won't look like its worth buying.Lets face it,the word itelf tells the story "PITCH".So do your "pitch"with the deck(using the D.L.) and make money.

Don...and thanks Jon for the kind words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Mystiflyers and Zealer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL