The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Small Ball Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
odroj88
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of odroj88
I would love to perform the cups and balls more often but have only performed a routine similar to Michael Ammar's a few times because I have yet to discover a small ball vanish that I like other than the French Drop, which is impractical in many situations.

The reason why I like Michael's routine is because it requires a minimal amount of small ball vanishes other than using the wand, which I think is a great aid in vanishing the balls.

Do you know of any books or videos that teach good techniques for vanishing a small ball. Thanks a lot in advance.
Odrj88
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
The Ammar Cups and balls videos (2 of them) have a variety of ball vanishes, including ones such as the wand spin. Smile
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Here is a *very* good link:

http://www.worldmagiccenter.com/
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Try using a vanish similar to a ball pass, typically used in spongeball routines. It's a type of retention vanish. I've even modified the action slightly, so that I could appear to push the ball visibly through the bottom of the cup - it floors laymen!

I like Patrick Page's Cups and Balls routine. I found it on an IMS tape that I bought at a magic club auction. The vanishes are natural and the routine has a plot that is easy to remember.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
There is a vanish for small objects called the Schneider Basic Vanish. This was outlined in a copy of Genii Magazine last year. Not sure which issue, but I believe it was part of a series of articles on this sleight.

There is also a good explaination of the vanish as well as the entire C&B routine in a series to be released by L&L. Unfortunately that won't be out until after January of 2004.

Still, the sleight as outlined in Genii is plenty good to give you the basics of this great retention type vanish. It also places the ball in perfect position for loading into a cup as part of the action of lifting it up or tilting it to the side.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-08-04 23:27, Frank Tougas wrote:
There is a vanish for small objects called the Schneider Basic Vanish.

In fact, my previous post contains the link to Al Schneider site, you get the reasoning behind the vanish, the video, and a whole lot more...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27016 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I've published one such vanish.
And can recomend having a look at the Ramsay cups routine for ideas.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Jon,
where have you published your vanish? I'd love to see it but I can't find a reference to it. As for the Ramsay routine I have found a reference here:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magcups.htm

and will definitely try to get the book!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27016 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hello Alessandro (et al)
Some of the Ramsay moves are in the Galloway book "The Ramsay Legend". The cups routine is in the Farelli book from 1948, Galloway's book "The Ramsay Classics" on his new videos, and may even be reprinted sometime soon.
The ball vanish I devised was published in Apocalypse somewhere around 1985. It was devised to save a couple of motions in the Ramsay routine while getting a good retention for those who happen to be watching the transfer. It works well for small sponge balls, dice etc. It too may be reprinted sometime soon.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
odroj88
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of odroj88
Thanks a lot to all who replied your information was extremely helpful. I am definitely going to look into both the Ramsey and Schenider techniques. Once again, thanks alot.
Odrj88
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13354 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a copy of the Ramsay Legend. If someone wishes to purchase it... pm me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
If you don't like the transfer vanish, then you might like to look into John Mendozas "The Mendozza Cups & balls" routine which uses the chop cup combo set to eliminate the transfer vanish completely.
Magic is fun!!!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Where can I find Pat Page's Routine.
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Bruno Copin's "Crazy Ball" demonstrates a very unique and amazing way to vanish a ball (and make it reappear). Not too easy to find his DVD, however.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is one of those things that Copin likes to do where he takes two things that really don't go together well and puts them together so they will work in a limited environment. Most of Copin's material is practical ONLY if you are seated and you have your own close-up mat to work with. It is also usually very expensive considering what you get.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2612 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I like (and use) Brad Burt's "roll vanish". This vanish appears to be similar to, or inspired by the John Scarne vanish from "Stars of Magic".
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1617 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bob White's DVD on the cups has superior instructions on the move. Bob does as well as any magician who's ever drawn a breath.

Many routines eschew the hand-to-hand transfer. My favorite routine uses it just once, and only as homage to those who have come before.

Get Al Schneider's new book. I'm serious. His words will teach you how to do all sorts of sleight-of-hand. He actually gives you a path to follow and how to improve.

KG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Al Schneider book is tops. Mine came yesterday. I'm glad I got it. You need to read the whole section of cups and balls moves. You also need to understand the things about the balls that Al understands.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mine came today. I've always liked his thinking. This book leaves nothing out! I was really interested in his first five chapters on magic theory and thinking. I was somewhat disappointed when each chapter was just a couple of pages. The rest of the book made up for it though. It's probably one of the best buys in magic today.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Waiting to get mine- I have his DVD set I lean something every time I view them.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Small Ball Vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL