The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Emergency Solved! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I know birds. I know what keeps them healthy and what to do when they are sick. However, I woke up to find my male silky dove, Birday, standing near bloody poo. [NEVER a good sign.] I first thought he might have a viral infection, but he kept straining to go. My gut told me to get him to an avian vet fast!

I took him to Dr. David McCluggage of Longmont, Colorado. He examined Birday and palpated his vent [bottom]. The doc got a puzzled look, Birday got a puzzled look, the doc said "Good gosh!", Birday squawked like a chicken, and out came a rock-hard monster poo!

It was a Fecalith, which is a collection of seed that forms a hard impaction. The fecalith was as big as an egg, but too big for him to pass. The doc says has seen very few impactions like this in his twenty-year career. Birday would have surely died if I had not gotten him proper treatment. The vet bill was only $58.00 total.

I thought back on the last batch of food and remembered that there were some odd raw peanuts [shell removed] mixed in with his feed. I thought my doves would pick around them, but I guess I was wrong, because there were peanuts in that fecalith.

Moral to the story: Watch your birdseed for large seeds that might form such an impaction and avoid them. Moral #2: Trust your gut as to when to take your bird to the vet and DON'T delay.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Thanks for the good advise.
Glad your dove is all CLEAR.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Thanks for PASSING (no pun intended)on this valuable information, always good to hear of others animal experiences, Glad to hear your feathered friend is doing well.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

You know, I expected witty peanut puns.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Glad your critter's OK, Autumn!

Now that you know he's done it once, I wonder if he's more apt to do it again. Do you give your birds any type of oil on their seed? Maybe a little wheat germ oil might aid digestion to prevent any problems down the road. Flax seed oil is good for dogs and cats, but I don't know about it for birds.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

The vet said if he does it again, he might have a propensity to do this in the future. The oil you suggested sounds like a good thing! My dad used to give his birds a tiny drop of cod liver oil mixed into the seed, which is high in vitamins A and D! I know they preen using an oil gland near their tail, so this might just make them shinier plus less apt to 'stop up'.

Here is an informative link on the lack of D in caged birds. Vitamin D deficiency is the 3rd most common problem with caged birds! Makes for thin bones and thin eggshells. They DO suggest cod liver oil! Keep in mind that cod liver oil becomes rancid FAST. Put a drop on seed or veggies that they will consume quickly. Don't put it on everything or they might consume too much. This article tells all the details. http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_vitamind.mgi
Doug Henning
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Thanks for sharing with us I'll start looking closer to my feed.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Glad to hear it, Alan. I hear sunflower seeds can also block a dove! Yikes! That is in most wild bird feed mixtures, which is what most magicians feed their doves. No more big seeds for my doves!
Doug Henning
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Good to know that, thanks for the information.

My doves love raw peanuts, but thankfully it was never a problem to them. I will, however, start watching for too big seeds.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Thanks for this share. I once lost a dove that I suspected was due to blockage but I had only had it for about a week from a breeder. I had put some greens in the cage, can't remember which type but the next day the one bird was staggering about on the cage floor falling over and unsteady. There was green strands in some loose droppings and this bird was crusted all around the vent. I took it to the vet and they requested $80 up front to start diagnosis. I paid, went outside then reconsidered the fees and asked for the bird back thinking I would try to help it expel any blockage by massage. They said they had started the process so they only gave back 40 dollars. The bird died within a half hour in my hands. I will watch the feed. I do have safflower seeds in the mix about the size of unshelled sunflower seeds. They go for these first off. I just make sure they have sizable grit. Most grit sold in stores is very fine sand. This is what I was using when I lost the one many years ago. It seemed to the fecal matter more like cement. Ughhhh. Make sure the grit has edges or facets to help grind the food in the stomach.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is so important to give your birds grit. This is what actually breaks up the seeds. Doves are soft bill birds and just swallow the seed whole. If you can't locate dove or pigeon grit, then baby chick grit will work from a seed grain store.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Emergency Solved! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL