We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Woody Aragon English Language Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
I would say a beginner would have no difficulty with a lot of the stuff in the book most is self working or use simple sleights. There are some advance sleights taught but not used in any of the routines
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
The book and author are awesome. I am a recent buyer but am glad I am one board. I am getting a t-shirt made.
Frank
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2011-12-29 12:20, magicphill wrote:
I would say a beginner would have no difficulty with a lot of the stuff in the book most is self working or use simple sleights. There are some advance sleights taught but not used in any of the routines

There are a fair number of tricks that require faros.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
If someone is interested , I have translated the Cheerleader effect so it works in italian. You need different values, and it has the advantage that you can use all the suits, even the diamonds. In italian they all spell with 5 or 6 letters. And you need a different "special number" at the beginning of the effect.

If you want the italian version of the trick, let me know (I actually don't see why you should be interested, but who knows...)

Best regards and kudos to Woody for the book with the most original ideas of the last years.

Dave
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1959 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Having real trouble with the cheerleader trick.
If the card is a club it always seems to be 2 places after the final S
Spades & hearts work fine

Any ideas?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
This book is an excellent book and Woody is to be profusely thanked for the massive amount of time and effort he expended in translating this book into English. That said, is there a blog site or other site where all of the typos and errors have been listed.

By this question, I am not implying that this book is poorly written or of low quality. Rather, I just want to find a place that lists any such errata so that I can print it out and keep a copy in the book. This will aid in reading and learning the effects where such errors might be.

Thanks for any info in these regards.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1959 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Would also like to know if anyone actually uses the acaan method & how you go about cutting the cards if not a direct hit on the suit and number
Cheers
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4115 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, please look out (search) for it, I wrote about it quite a lot Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4115 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1959 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Doh!
Cheers Jan
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
606 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
I got around to reading this book (got it from motown, awesome seller and all around guy here on the Café), and even though I'm only a bit in I'm really liking his ideas. The Separagon is great. One of my concerns was the time required to go through the whole deck but he offers some good suggestions. I think this would be a good spot to practice my interactions with the audience. The Separagon triumph is really nice, I'm not super huge on triumphs effects but I like how Woody adds in a memorization aspect to the routine.

I'm only a hobbyist and right now I just enjoy reading but in the back of my mind I'm also trying to think which effects I would like to string together in a routine. I'm leaning toward gambling and memory demonstrations to have that playful back and forth with the audience and reading A Book In English has gotten my mind going with ideas. Anyways, I've been reading this book during my lunch hour and just wanted to share my thoughts so far.
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2011, JanForster wrote:
I love this book! And yes, I found one translation mistake in one of my favorite routines ("Never tell them what's going to happen"), but with little thought you still get it (page 127, 4th passage from the top, try it, you'll see it...). Still you did a marvelous job!! Jan

Hi Jan, were you able to replicate this effect accurately? I couldn't understand his ACAAN force mechanism. During performance, is the magician supposed to make visible adjustments to the deck twice? One time to adjust to the spectator's suit selection and second time to adjust to the total sum of the called out numbers?
Thanks a lot!
I Love You God Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4115 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, I did, no problems, and two are right, sometimes less. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I appreciate your clarification Jan.

I love this book, the very first effect with the four cards is ingenious! Getting a spectator to unknowingly build a stack from fairly shuffled cards is an awesome concept. I greatly enjoyed Aragon's special anti-faro technique. Although it works for an odd number of cards, it is highly effective especially when I add a Joker to create a 53-card deck. Several of his effects rely on "mathemagic" and that has always been something I relish. Being a Faro-enthusiast I found his analysis of the various Faro cycles with different sized decks extremely entertaining. With so many other remarkable ideas and principles, the book is without doubt written from a brilliant mind!

Thank you Woody Aragon for this valuable treasure Smile
I Love You God Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Woody Aragon English Language Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL