The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » How do you spell "Magician"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I do many gun shows so I see many of the same vendors at most of the shows over and over. A few weeks a go, I wrote of the 6-7 YO kid who bought a new deck of cards because they were blue and that was his fave color. He’d bought the red ones at another show but had REALLY messed up the box, so I gave him a box from one of my old decks and he bought the blue one.

Last Sunday, he came by and saw the new L***** decks. “Hey, these are different. Why do you have different cards?”

“Oh, I just liked the boxes, so I got ‘em.”

“And you got a nicer box to hold the decks.” I’d used one of the old L***** multi-colored boxes for almost a year. It had so much cellophane tape on it, it sparkled. So a new box was in order, even if I hadn’t gotten the new L***** cards. “You changed a lot.”

“Yep.”

A little while later, he was still hanging around—not getting in the way, just there. “Ya know, I dropped those blue cards on the ground and lost about half of them.”

“How in the world did you lose half of them? Why not just pick ‘em up?”

“They fell out and I didn’t know it.”

“Why not just go back and get ‘em?”

“I was home by then and didn’t know it. I really don’t know where they are. If I had $5 (vendor’s price) I’d buy one of these new decks. But I don’t.”

Now, this kid at least SEEMED to be interested in the deck, so after awhile I said. “OK, I’ve got some old decks in my van. I’ll go get you one. Just remember, they’re dirty.”

“Oh, woudja? It’s Ok if they’re dirty.”

I brought him a deck with a rubber band around it. “Oh, Wow! Look the (key) card is the Ace of Hearts. I like that.” Yep, so did I, but MM didn’t send it last time.

He stood around, while I demo’d, not getting in the way, just watching. As I was packing up, he asked, “Where do you get these cards?”

Now, this is a 6-7 YO guy who needs one of Don’s demo DVDs. But I sure wasn’t gonna give away my supplier, so I said, “At the magician supply place.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Oh really? Where did I get ‘em?”

“I dunno but it wasn’t there.”

“Why don’t you just look it up and see? You know what Google is?”

“Yep”

“OK, get on Google and look up ‘Magician supply’. You’ll see.”

“I would, only….”

“Only what?”

“I don’t know how to spell ‘magician’”

I couldn’t help it, I had to laugh. “OK, I’m gonna help ya. See the word ‘magic’ on the box?” I still had my box of decks on my table. “Just add ‘i-a-n’ to that word and it spells ‘magician’.”

“I’ll be right back.” He scoots off to his booth, gets a pen and paper from his mom, scampers back to my table. He puts the paper on my table, right in front of the deck box, prints ‘magic’ on the paper in the 1st grader size print. “And now I just add ‘i-a-n’?”

“Yep.”

“OK.” He prints it. “So that’s ‘magician’?

“Yep.”

“And what’s that other word?”

“Supply.”

“How do you spell that one?” This guy REALLY wanted to buy some more cards! BUT not from me!

“S-U-P-P-L-Y.” He’s printing it as fast as I spell it. “There, ya got it?”

“Yep.” He grabs the paper and scoots back to his mom. Animated conversation between them. I’m almost packed. In a few moments, here they both come.

“Is he bothering you?”

“Nope.”

“Well, what’s this ‘magician supply’?”

“He just wanted to know where I got these cards. I told him. I think he wants to buy a few gross.”

“Oh yeah? You know he’s been buggin’ me with those cards every since he got ‘em, a month ago. I thot that once he lost most of ‘em, he’d stop. But NO! You had to give him some more.” Thankfully, she was smiling.

“Well, they’re old ones. Besides he really wants to know about magic. I don’t think they’ll hurt him.”

“Oh no, but now that he found out where to buy magic stuff, he’ll NEVER stop buggin’ me. Why’d ya tell him?”

“He asked me. Besides, it takes money AND practice to be a magician. That’s why I’M NOT one…Don‘t worry, it’s probably just a passing phase.”

“I hope so. It hasn’t been a passing phase for the past month, but I hope so. Come on, Junior.” They walked back to their booth and I left.

When someone TRULY appears to want to know info on magic, I really don’t mind telling them. But I sure don’t think it’s my place to give away ALL my secrets—such as they are! Smile

Jon
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
If someone wants to know more about magic and get more tricks, I don't send them far. In fact, I don't send them anywhere. I have about 15 other magic tricks for them to buy. I bring a bunch of different items for display when I am places I go to about once a month. Vendors kids and people that shop there always come back for more. I also bring another 8-10 'professional' items that I leave hidden for people that ask if I have anything else.

At places I go to only once a year, I bring only about 8 magic tricks. I also always have novelty toys and practical jokes.

I know that some don't agree with this, but it works for me, and I do well with it.
-Matt
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
If a kid has bought a few things from me and is interested in learning more, I always tell them to go to the public library and ask for the magic books in the children's section.

Most public libraries have at least a few basic magic books on the shelves. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I like to keep the money at my spot, which is why I have so many items. When I'm vending, I'm there to GTFM.

There is one place I set up at at least once a month, and If I only had two items, I wouldn't make it. I get people into buying mode, and they want more, they come back for more. About 50% of the Svengali decks or worms that I sell leave with at least one other item.
-Matt
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I send them after books as well Seth.I believe that's the best move for kids that are starting out and have a real desire to learn magic.Even better than DVDs or more tricks.Lets face it we don't sell Svengali decks to help kids learn magic we sell them to make money and only that.However when a kid shows a sincere intrest in learning magic I send them for books and even write down Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic for them to go look up.Its a great biginner book.I see them on ebay for as low as one dollar.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Wilson course is a great suggestion, Don.

It's geared to kids, but doesn't talk down to them. And there's plenty in there that an adult could benefit from as well.

I figure that if a kid is motivated enough to read a book, it's a good way to get started. They can always go on YouTube later and see all the "instant magicians" for themselves. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » How do you spell "Magician"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL