The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Pressley Guitar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I'm a great admirer of his work. I think his C/S/B set (which he invented, I think) ranks with the best - superb craftsmanship. Is he still around and still producing gaffed coins?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I like his routine, my friend, but a lot of creative work has come to the surface since he came up with his brilliant routine.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Pressley is around, but he no longer produces magic. His coin work is beautiful and his other props are exquisite. It's a shame, because he has a lot more to offer the magic fraternity.

I've been to a few TAOM conventions with him in the last couple of years, but he spends most of his time working and building hot rods.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Good to know that Pressley is still involved in magic to some extent. He did make some excellent items. I wish I had been able to pick up a set of the balls he was making for balls in net way back when. Now if you find them for sale they aren't cheap.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-03-16 16:20, RS1963 wrote:
Good to know that Pressley is still involved in magic to some extent. He did make some excellent items. I wish I had been able to pick up a set of the balls he was making for balls in net way back when. Now if you find them for sale they aren't cheap.

They are if you know where to look.

Call these guys and ask for 1" diameter cue balls. like they use for the key chains, but without any holes, chains, or whatever - just the little white 1-inch balls. That's how I got the bunch that are in my collection...

TW

http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID......tID=3008
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
That is good information to know. Funny how sometimes we don't think of such things. Thank you Thomas.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
The balls Pressley used were made of phenolic. They were a little less than 1" in diameter and they were treated to give them a less glossy finish. Over time they will develop a slightly off white/yellowish color like real ivory.

The ones TW gave in the link work great, but they are a little big for me when doing the Vernon/Mora routine.

Pressley also has a really good routine for 2C/1S that is in Bob White's lecture notes.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Typically, most pool balls are also made of phenolic resin.

The original Pressley Guitar balls that I used to own were kind of a chalky white, more reminiscent of a "Bakelite" type material (the forerunner of phenolic) as was used in older, low-quality barroom cue balls. I'd be very surprised if the original Guitar balls were anything specially made by (or for) Pressley; I have to think they were probably cue balls manufactured for miniature novelty-type pool tables.

That said, there are specialty ball manufactures that offer a WIDE variety of materials and sizes...Hey, look - there's one now!" http://plasticballs.com/

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
@TW-You are correct, he bought the balls from some outfit in Europe...I think they had some industrial use, but I could be wrong. He then treated them with something to remove the finish (in a tumbler I believe), but if you use them they age really nice. I have a set of the balls that were not tumbled and they are shinier and have a more yellowed appearance. He also had some balls that were black phenolic. They look cool but if you are wearing a dark jacket, they can be hard to see. I have bought some balls from various producers over the internet, and have had various luck. The novelty pool balls seem to work best. I have bought some that are for industrial use and they haven't always had a smooth appearance.

Pressley is an interesting guy and one of the nicest guys I've ever met in magic. I wish he would do an interview or something, because he's got some great stories, not only from magic, but the people he's known over the years. He went to college in Mexico, was a lion trainer at one time and even raised a lioness cub when he was a teenager. He used to drive around with a full grown lioness in his car in Abilene. He told me that one time he was riding with a buddy with the lioness in the backseat and another car pulled up beside them at a stop light. The guy looked at Pressley flabbergasted and said "You've got a lion in your car". Pressley and his buddy just turned and looked at each other, opened their doors and ran off in opposite directions screaming. His magic stories are also great.

He's very busy with work and stuff, but I wish he would come around more often...he's a lot of fun.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
The first CSB set I bought was a Pressley. I didn't really pay attention at the time (1979), But l love the gaff.
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Pressley Guitar? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL