The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Helping Japan - an idea.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Speaking of Hitomi in the other post, what do you guys think about a special Tenyo charity auction?

We all have some rare items in our spare arsenal - what if we'd offer them as open auction on the Café (whoever want to participate posts his bid), the winner gets the item postpaid worldwide and the avail is fully donated to people or organizations who are in need.

Opinions?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
It's a good idea, but ideally I would prefer to find someone to help rather than giving money to a humanitarian organization which we never know really what they do with the money. When we see the billions given to Haiti and a year later nothing has changed I do not think it's good. I think it would really be better off finding someone or a family who is struggling in Japan, to know that our help will really be helpful and personally.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Very good point, Davy!

Personally I've also been sceptical as how efficient a donation to a huge organization really is - compared to an individual aiding approach.
But even if we find a trustworthy single person/family/small specialized organization, at the end of the day they'll need money, too to move things and help the people (not the nature).
Honestly, I have little imagination how to help best now...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3447 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Nice idea guys. I know it is hard not to be skeptical of donations, howver many of the large organizations such as Red Cross do put bodies on the ground to distibute life sustaining items needed now and in the short term. It is the rebuilding proceess that is vey disapointing particularly in Haiti. However, the greatest need now is the life supporting basics for those in the worst affected areas. I have made a personal donation but would gladly support something here.

John
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've visited Japan a number of times and personally know quite a few people who live there. I'm praying for their safety, as well as everyone in Japan. I don't have any items to auction. However, I am going to make a comittment to donate 75% of all Magicbob Productions e-book sales between now and May 1st to relief efforts. Depending on the response, I might extend the deadline. My goal is to raise $1000-2000 toward helping those affected by this tragedy in Japan. I wish I could afford to give 100 percent but, to be perfectly honest, the economy, medical concerns, and car repairs are hitting hard at home, so it is a sacrifice to donate 75%. I hope no one begrudges my not donating all of the proceeds.

Individual effects are available as e-books for only $5 each. Entire books are under $25.

You can choose from the following e-books:
The "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks, Volume 1
The "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks, Volume 2
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations

I'm also close to completing my newest collection, "Sleightly Wacky" (I'm trying to get it finished as soon as possible so I can include it in the charity program). Volume 3 of "I Hate Card Tricks" is on the horizon but, unfortunately, still too far from completion to help out with the current issues in Japan.

You can order here: www.magicnook.com/magicbob
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Helping Japan - an idea.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL