The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Biggest Pet Peeve (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
My thoughts exactly! What a great idea! It makes me want to start to carry an ID with me!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
When I get that smart kid, I don't ignore him and I NEVER EVER challenge him. This is very unprofessional and I see it as the magician coming off as a jerk. Instead, I usually just say something to the effect of That's awesome! but there are many card tricks let me show you this one and if it's the same one you've seen before let me know at the end, but in the mean time let's have fun because your parents haven't seen it yet. And I wink at the kid. This does two things...

1.Keeps the kids interested because now I am not the magician fooling them but it is the kids and I together fooling the parents, which kids love...

2. Forces the parents to watch and take an active role in the management of the kids at this point which brings them to enjoy the show together.

After I do the trick I always ask the kid...is that the same one you know? If they say yes then they say yes and I ask them if they're interested in learning magic and I direct them to the SYM. If they say no, then I ask well did you have fun fooling your parents? Which always gets a yes and a chuckle. If the kids were rough during the trick I leave thanking them for their time, if they're having more fun than expected I stay for 2 more tricks then thank them and move on. But NEVER NEVER NEVER confront a kid or challenge them because even if you win the argument, you lose in the end with the parents and establishment.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One other pet peeve, and this applies to all venues, not just performances:

The kid with the ear-piercing scream with the partner(s) that fail to do anything about it.

This is a kid with a high pitched scream that borders on only dogs being able to hear it, as a volume that literally melts the wax in your ears and cracks your eyeglasses - even when you have left them HOME!

These sudden and damaging blasts are sonic attacks worthy of one of the Marvel Comics group's mob of superheroes. Unfortunately, these attacks also damage fine crystal, shatter nerves and can adversely effect pacemakers.

But worst of all are the parents of these little audio-attack munchkins! The parents do nothing - often laughing and encouraging the kid to tee off again, perhaps to see if the micro-blaster can shatter that magnum of Dom at the corner table!

Comments on what can be done?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Lee,

Have you read "The Duct Tape Book?"

Actually, I've run into this pretty infrequently when performing, sometimes at restaurants and sometimes at company picnics, and I simply finish the current effect quickly and move on.

Larry D.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
I used to be annoyed by cell phones ringing. If I hear a phone ring now, I stop whatever I am doing (routine) and say, "Hey, if that's for me...I'm not here" and I whisper that last part.

This almost always gets a laugh and makes me feel better about the whole thing. I sometimes offer to answer it for them too. If they let me (and it happens) I make us some crazy way to answer it that makes the crowd laugh.

The phones can actually be fun. Have fun with it.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I used to get annoyed by ALL these things that then I realized that people NEVER see a magician and so we are kind of special.

I guess I can forgive people who don't know how to act
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Funny Story,
A friend of mine was entertaining at a birthday party when 2 kids started fighting right in front of him. He stopped what he was doing and started refereeing the fight!

Chad
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Chad, I love that. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I must say (not to be big headed) I very rarely have these problems. I think Peter is right audience control is very important.

If they start, you stop it right there! If they try to grab the chop cup I keep my hand on it so they can't. They see me holding it so they don't try. I only do this if they try to grab or if I think they will.

If they say they know how something is done I make them raise their right hand and promise not to tell. I have a funny "I promise" creed.

If I think I am going to have a problem with the table I do a trick where it appears that they are doing it. Empowerment is very powerful with kids, you might need to win them over and become buds with them.

It is also important that you can read your table. This comes with time and experience. I can sum up a table very fast and know what to do. This is why I always open with interaction and not a trick. I need to talk with them for a few seconds to read them. Plus this gives them a chance to get to know me.

I am not going to say I don't mess up and flash or get caught, this happens to everyone. Most of the time they will not say anything but they will see it. If they do give you a lot of trouble you might need to take a look at your approach you might not be "connecting" with them.

This is why it is important to have friends and fellow Magi watch you to get a honest review.

The biggest problem I had lately was in my chop 3rd load they will say "there's another one in there" NOW I have fixed that I show the cup empty before the last load is produced.

You guys need to listen to your audience they will tell you things you need to fix or work on. You should have lines to cover things.

Example Sponge ball:

Kid "I felt two balls in there."
Me "You felt the second ball jump in?"
Kid "No I felt two balls in my hand"

To fix this make sure the person holds on tight. Maybe hold their hands in the air, this will stop them from opening their hand. If they hold tight they can't tell how many are in their hand. You could also hold your hand on theirs to stop them from opening early.

Another thing I use different people I never give one person one ball then go back and give them five balls. They know what one feels like. Plus if you use the whole table you will solve the problem of the babysitter role.

Another thing I do is in my sponge ball routine I use a adult first. I tell the kids "You can help in second but first lets use Dad"

This allows the Dad to set the tone. Then when it comes to the kids turn I say "hold on tight like Dad did, don't let them get away" They have seen how Dad did it and now "KNOW" how to.

This brings me to another box I like to jump on. You guys need to script out your routines take one a week. Write it out review it, record it live and listen to yourself. Fix the problem areas. I should be able to hear the routine on tape and know what's going on even if I never have seen it. Be clear and direct with your instructions.

The only time I get that babysitting feeling is with a very large table. The kids end up on one end and the adults end up at the other. Most of the time when this happens I just do balloons for the kids.

This leads me to my biggest pet peeve.
I hate when people ask for more than one balloon, or they pop it with a fork and expect another one, then another one.

The bottom line comes back to this "If they like you they will like what you do" Sure it is not a perfect world out there and there is no way you can please everyone and stop these completely. You can cut them down, Just Listen to what they are saying.

I also agree with Nick, Sometime you need to just blow it off because they might not know how to act.

Restaurant magic is one of the most difficult. Why? because they came to eat not necessarily to see a magician.

People in a restaurant come from all walks of life, you will see people old and young, rich and poor, happy, sad or mad. you will encounter all types, some who will enjoy what you do other could care

Some people think of magicians as the last Vegas show or TV show they saw. They sometime remember a jerk magician who treated them bad and they not too sure what you'll do. Sometimes they heard bad stories form someone else.

You have to overcome it all! As a restaurant magician we have our work cut out for us. But remember RULE NUMBER ONE TRY TO HAVE FUN AND RESPECT YOUR AUDIENCE AS PEOPLE!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

If someone asks for more than one balloon when you're strolling or table-hopping, just say that you don't know if you'd have enough for everyone else and that you'll return later if you do (of course you don't have to return).

If someone pops a balloon with a fork and asks for another balloon animal, take the popped balloon, make believe you're twisting it into a different shape, then hand it back to them and say, "Here you go, it's a dead dog." Hmmm...I wonder why kids don't like me. Smile

Larry D.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I like that Larry!
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Bob, I'm glad someone appreciates my twisted mind.

Here's something that annoys me...performing at a big round table and the two people you're standing closest to won't turn around and watch. I have a technique for dealing with it, but I still find it annoying.
rseward
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of rseward
I generally do not have any pet peeves when I am performing. However, I do have one when I am in the audience with not magician friends. It never fails but one of them will ask me, “Do you know how that trick is done?” Normally, I just answer with “Yes, it’s magic!” Still, I find it annoying because I am watching the show to enjoy the magical moments. In my opinion when someone tries to figure out the illusions during a show they are showing a lack of respect for the entertainer. It is like someone worrying about how you say something instead of listening to what you are saying. It means they don’t care what you are saying or performing. All they care about is how you are saying it or performing it. I know it’s not a big pet peeve, but it is still one that bothers me.
robthemagish
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of robthemagish
My friends always say something like "Oh, I bet you know how this is done...."
Over the years I have developed this response... I say; "Hmm, I have some ideas, but this guy is really good, so I really want to se how he works".
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2003-08-29 09:07, Larry Davidson wrote:
If someone asks for more than one balloon when you're strolling or table-hopping, just say that you don't know if you'd have enough for everyone else and that you'll return later if you do (of course you don't have to return).

If someone pops a balloon with a fork and asks for another balloon animal, take the popped balloon, make believe you're twisting it into a different shape, then hand it back to them and say, "Here you go, it's a dead dog." Hmmm...I wonder why kids don't like me. Smile

Larry D.

LOL!

But you point out a potential hazard here, too. Popped balloons.

I watched a kid aspirate one once and I will NEVER do balloons for kids again. Ever.

Kid bit the balloon to be cute - it popped (duh!) and a part of it went down his throat and lodged in his airway.

Paramedics took him to the hospital where doctors were able to remove it, thankfully.

The restaurant settled out of court for hospital costs.

I also have to say that making this decision cost me one of my favorite lines, courtesy of Gene Anderson:

"I do 2,419 balloon animals. Unfortunately, they all look like poodles!"

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Mstrhypno

Thank you for the advice. I will certainly think about the use of balloons.

People seem to expect them though.

I often blow them up and give them to kids as a wand. Then at the end, we turn it into something.

I was fooling around with balloons a few months ago. A friend was here from out west so I made her five year old a dog.

She took it apart and demanded a flower. Deftly I created one. This spoiled child then said "that's not a flower - flowers use more than one balloon."

So all the balloon sculpture guys have raised the bar to high for me!
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
Thank you fourish dude for your great post.

You had a ton of great advice in there.

Something else to think about is this. Listen to what kind of things the kids are coming up with as explantions for how you did it. You can eleviate this situation by focusing on your proofs.
For instance...Card on ceiling..
Let's say you get accused that the card was up there the whole time. Then the next time

"What's that up there? (pointing to ceiling)
Hmm? Do you see that?
Uh...Me neither. Probably nothing."

Then do the effect.

They can't argue the point any longer. The same goes true with thumbtip vanishes and more. Sometimes taking all possible explanation away makes the effect even more stunning. Kid's sometimes need more proofs.

As per balloons..That's the first time I've heard of a child asperating on a animal balloon. I typically don't give balloons to "Chewers". That was an incredibly scary story.

But having to do balloons has recently become my pet peeve. I'm starting to feel the affects of 13 years of balloon twisting in my wrists and hands. Also I don't like being known as "the balloon guy who does magic" but the "magicain who happens to also do balloons"(I jokingly correct customers all the time who say..look the balloon man is here). I'm currently looking for an all magic venue.
Smile
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Quote:
On 2003-08-06 20:02, Frank Tougas wrote:
I think handing some smart-alec kid your deck with the instructions to show you their technique, is a grave tactical error.

First it puts them in too entirely an important power position, takes the focus off the entertainment and creates an irresistable challenge no acting out kid could pass up.

Simply state, "Shows over, hope you've enjoyed what I have been able to present." (big smile) and move on. It is a parent problem, give it back to the rightful owners, you got people to entertain.

Man Frank, have you got it together.
That couldn't have been said any better.
There's a guilt factor I sometimes deal with, but you're exactly right - "Give it back".

Thank you.

Quote:
On 2003-08-12 21:47, Doug Byrd wrote:
Why not avoid it all together and not do a card trick at all. I know a lot will disagree with me, but in the 18+ years I've been doing magic I have never had a table with kids hire me to do anything but kid work. I don't do card tricks (effects) for kids. I hate doing anything for a table with kids. I've never had one turn into an adult function.
Doug

Boy Doug, I wish I were more like you.
I just adore the children (I'm a sappy father of four). I can relate to children, and find that tables with children are the easiest to approach (for me).
When I'm near a table of all adults, they rarely like to make eye contact with me, probably for fear they will have to endure the magician (Pre-conceptions). It's much easier with ladies. Young couples (18 to 25) I can approach and break in o.k. Thirty-something couples (suits/yuppies) forget it. They're usually involved in deep conversation, negative eye contact, snitty look (Could I be biased)?
Then we have the all males 25 and up. What can I possibly do for them that would be anything more than an unwelcome intrusion? Predict the future and give them a stock tip? If they've had a few drinks, it's different - the I could walk on water (un-frozen of course). However, a top notch gig isn't going to come from something they don't remember.

Like Joan Rivers (frozen of course) used to say:
"Can we talk?"
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I think an issue to consider are the attitudes we project as entertainers and as human beings. If we approach the table in a funny suit, or with a few zingy lines, we are not a human being - we are an entertainer, a service. People will refuse service and people will mistreat those delivering services. But if we approach like a human being, an equal, then the parent is much more likely (to return to the majority of these posts) to take their child in hand. Legitametly engaging the adults and children in real conversation that does not begin, "Did someone drop this round red ball?" is a good start. Similarly, if we are a goofball and start working for the kids, they will treat us like goofballs. But if we come across as someone who is important with something wonderful and special that we may CHOOSE to share with them, even the youngsters will sit up and listen.
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Now, my pet peeve:
Getting hired for an event, and basically being hung out to dry. First of all, I've been doing restaurant/table/strolling magic for eighteen years. I was booked by an agent to perform strolling magic in what turned out to be a place way too small and for way to long. It was contractually even longer once I was there, and for less money than I was quoted. I worked my tail off. I ran into many problems through out the evening with the woman who initally contacted the entertainment agency who hired me. I felt bad that I couldn't turn an impossible situation around. I called the agent to explain what I had encountered, and he said "Well, they said they liked everything but the magician". Well, the everything else was the agent's own band, and two clowns(?) dressed in yellow t-shirts, no make up, SITTING at a card table making the only two ballon animals they knew how to make, passing out pieces of candy. I walked miles in that little area, and WORKED.
Where's the justice? If you'd like to hear all the little tid-bits regarding this nightmare, please contact me. It's been a couple of months, and It still bothers me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Biggest Pet Peeve (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL