We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Heart and Soul book by Ed Solomon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Anyone see this book, and have a review? Looks very interesting, as I have liked his storytelling in the past.

Thoughts?

RevJohn
Tony Ellis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Tony Ellis
The stories are wonderful, which is what is often the case when the master storyteller goes to work. I was much more familiar with his prolific bizarre material, but the gospel lessons are very powerful. A Visit to the Corner Store is available as a sample from Leaping Lizards, and is a gut wrenching tale of a woman with no money, and the power of prayer. Daddy's Empty Chair is a bit with origami and a gimmick you own. Don't We All is a clever use of the catch phrase. Encounter in the Park is a magnificent visual story lesson using the ole Gag Bag. Four Seasons of Reason is a parable about a father and four sons, and their different experiences seeing a forest at different timesof the year. God and the Spider was a fine story about a soldier during the war, and praying but not seeing that God has answered your prayer. My Little Piece of Cloth is a recurring nightmare. Praise Him is an absolutely great story about a son of a preacher and timing, with the old paper tear showing the cross and hell. Fantastic storytelling. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head uses a common magician's prop. Right on Target is a story about a professor asking his students to draw a picture of someone they disliked, then they throw darts at the picture. St. Rita of Cascia used to be a story for Stigmata, but Ed has altered it to a pretty piece. Take My Son is an absolutely great story about a collector of important works of art, and the auction upon his death. Tale of the Fourth Wise Man is another wonderful story, about the fourth wise man of course. And there are another ten routines. Good emotional stuff, worth it for the stories alone.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks very much! Sounds right up my alley, for storytelling and the likes.

Will take a look!

John
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Mr. Solomon's two previous books have received rave reviews- but I have not seen any of the three yet- hope to someday. I hope one of the dealers at the FCM convention carries it- I will be eager to take a look. I would also love to see a regular review of Gospel magic books and products like this in "The Voice of FCM"- maybe Kif or Oz can do a review of it on the next podcast- would be so much appreciated! It is difficult to buy products for sure sight unseen- sometimes it works out great and sometimes one can instantly tell upon arrival it was a mistake to order it in the first place because it doesn't fit one's style, or is not very deceptive, or is way overpriced, etc.. I ordered a trick not too long ago from a well known dealer and it literally turned out to be almost one of the most impossible to perform things I have ever seen- ridiculous to do in any kind of convincing way. One of those products you see advertised one time and then it disappears forever. A total waste of money. Kif told me about Wolf Magic's new "Rings of Truth"- I ordered it sight unseen (and it is now out of stock). In that particular case, I was so very glad I bought it- this small well made effect fits my style perfectly and has been a great addition for my new close-up "act" that I have been working on (including for the "table hopping" for 2011 FCM convention). Thanks for mentioning this book that I have never heard of until now- and will look forward to checking it out hopefully soon.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
One of the probems with reviews in the Magic Magazines (almost all of them) is they follow the release of the product by months so many times you purchase based on the "hype"only to discover it isn't quite as advertised or it simply isn't for you because there just wasn't enough information about it.

However, I agree, that it would be nice to see more reviews of products in general in the Voice.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Just ordered this, so I will give my review when I get it!

John
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 15:31, revmike wrote:
However, I agree, that it would be nice to see more reviews of products in general in the Voice.

Mike

We review effects (that we buy) on the podcast...This past episode we chatted about Coffee Break from Magic Apple. I even met the creator of the effect yesterday at Magic Apple in Studio City, CA. (my first visit to the shop...and what a neat shop...especially the book section). But maybe that is a task for the podcast crew to undertake, reviews for the magazine. I will discuss that with my cohorts...
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Thanks Kif! I did it AGAIN just today (what I really should not be doing)- Ordered from Owen Magic Supreme #1325 "2% Tacks" site unseen (and could find no constructive reviews about this either)- and just am hoping the trick stands up to the Owen reputation of selling quality effects... If it is a good closeup item- I will enjoy showing it off table hopping at 2011 FCM. Smile
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Thanks, have to admit that I am probably behind the times and don't really know much about podcasts (although understand the basic concepts) - I'm just happy I learned to use my flip camera and post videos to You Tube and Facebook. Catching up, but slowly..........
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Just bought this book also, and will comment on it once it is sent.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Thanks - looking foward to the reviews but I may have to pick it up - if not before maybe someone will be carrying it at FCM
Gary Barker
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
70 Posts

Profile of Gary Barker
We have this book in stock and will be bringing it with us to Marion this summer.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Got the book and will be reading through it the next couple of days.

One of the first things that caught my eye was that it is edited and compiled by Ed Solomon, and not necessarily written by him.

Will have to check this out more.

RevJohn
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Got the book, read thru it quickly, so this is first impressions
1.not the type of book to be read thru quickly, each story is excellent so you miss the impact of the later stories by plowing thru.
2first impression was it was a small book for the cost of it(with shipping it cost me over $50)
3.The magic is definitely secondary to the story. nothing is difficult to do technically.
4.Lots of the magic requires some making up of props, customizing them to fit the story. The degree of effort ranges from printing up some pictures of Jesus to a more elaborate weighing scale/balancing scale prop. That said, most fit in the realm of silk or paper/card items.
5.a couple stories are just stories with no magic involved.
6.The methods/descriptions of the effects are minimal. In a couple of the cases I think more detail would help clarify the effect.
7.A couple of the stories are heavy on Catholic references or history, so depending on where you stand with that, could limit your use of those stories.

23 stories are listed. 3 brought tears to my eyes.As a preacher I would use 19-20 of these in sermons when the occasion arose,simply as stories, they are really good stories!
Listing the stories here is my thoughts on the magic aspects:

Corner Store-props are heavy on customizing, not a strong suit of mine, BUT a great story and strong magic.

Daddys empty chair- I have used this story about a man bringing an empty chair as a visual to help him represent Jesus being with him and to help him pray. The trick involves folding up an origami chair and then in line with a line in the story something happens to the chair. I will be retelling the story WITH the trick. Magically this is in my top 3 for this book.

Encounter in the park uses the gag bag. I have this prop and NEVER used it, but am gonna play around with this and see. I do wish he had given a bit more detail about how he used the bag in conjunction with the story, .he refers to the shapes in and on the bag assisting, but doesn't clarify that.

God and the Spider uses a spider web silk, and a strong story, easy to do, would certainly consider using this in my gospel show.
My little piece of cloth sues a familiar to me story and a more elaborate set up of silk, kind of a blendo idea. The story and magic are a tight connection so I see this being strong and usable.

Praise him uses the old ticket to heaven paper tear with a longer but good story.

Right on Target uses some customized cards and a story of firing darts at someone we don't like, and a Jesus card magically appearing with the dart marks on Him. This would be a pack small play big in the sunday school area. Will make one of these up

Tale of the 4th wise man- nice story, I just hesitate because the bible doesn't say only 3 wise men came to see Jesus, it was likely MANY, 3 types of gifts were presented, so I don't want to propagate this small but noticeable oversight in peoples impression of the birth narrative. He used Tarot cards, but says regular deck can be used as part of this tale of 4 wise men magically finding a star.

that's what its all about- uses a thumb tip in a very funny way. I am just not sure how this would go over. It is a strong story, the effect is a thumb with a bandage on it disappears. You would have to figure out a way to ditch the tip, with a lot of heat on you.

The Heart- a twist on a torn and restored paper heart. I don't like the expression of having Jesus in your heart,but this story focuses on that, but the story is so strong, it is one of the 3 stories that brought me to tears and will become my spoken version of the t/r heart as alternatives to my one I do to music.

Trial by fire, has a court room story with Jesus versus Devil,with a Chinese laundry ticket idea. not the strongest magic but a visual to help with the story.

Who took your place- Seance cloth, a jesus mask, and definitely one I want to try to see the response.

Why God lives under the bed- tears number 2, no magic, amazing story, nuff said
Blue Rose- AMAZING. The magic would only add a punctuation mark in conjunction with the end of the story, but in this case the story is so magical it isn't needing strong magic.

View of heaven, good story, more work to make up a customized deck to go with it. If you do the work, would be worth it, but I doubt I would do the work,it is creating a printing deck(you know like the deck that is blank then prints faces and backs-the name of the deck escapes me :0 )

I LOVE storytelling magic, it suits my performing style, this book was totally worth it for me, I have 3 presentations I can work into my professional show and have a handful I can try out in SS/nonpaying audience.
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Nice review - I am at heart a story-teller performer so do want to check it out.
MindMyst
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
32 Posts

Profile of MindMyst
For me, a good story "gets" the audience. I've had repeated requests to perform specific pieces ... and almost always referred to by the story title.

My favorites in Ed's book are:

God and the Spider
using jim pace's The Web , or a pull back spider under a newspaper

Daddy's empty chair

Encounter in the Park

The Mousetrap

Who took your Place
using a Zombie mechanism

and as Randy writes in his excellent review, there are plenty of stories that bring a tear to the eye.

Have fun,

MM
The Truth Will Set Your Fee
http://mindmyst.blogspot.com/
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I am interested in how you think the web trick fits, response wise, with the story. The Web is more of a shock response and the spider is kinda seen negatively in that light whereas int eh story the spider is very positive...

if you get a chance to do who took your place before I do, please let em know how it went, I really like the idea just not sure, for some reason if the response will be good, or if it will push some buttons for folks...
Randy Burtis
www.calgarymagician.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
As a therapist I enjoyed reading the stories for what they were. Can you all recommend other publications containing emotionally moving stories that help elicit emotions in audiences whether you want to incorporate magic or not? Thx!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Brent,

A book I would recommend to you as a Therapist, is, "Friedman's Fables," by Friedman. Great stories that are more than just emotional. They work one over, in a good way.

An enjoyable one, from a family perceptive is a case-study from the eyes of Cinderella's Step-Mother. Good stuff.

Magic-Wise, Robert Neale's "This is not a book," has some good gems.

RevJohn
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Thanks Rev...that books has been sitting on my shelf for 20 years and I only skimmed it. So much Ericksonian stuff...gotta look through it again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Heart and Soul book by Ed Solomon (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL